Bon Homme County, South Dakota
|Bon Homme County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Bon Homme Island|
|• Total||581 sq mi (1,506 km2)|
|• Land||563 sq mi (1,459 km2)|
|• Water||18 sq mi (47 km2), 3.09%|
|• Density||13/sq mi (5/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Bon Homme County is the point of origin for the Siberian alien, Salsola kali, a type of tumbleweed, first reported here in 1877, probably introduced in a shipment of flax seed from Ukraine.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 581.7 square miles (1,506.6 km2), of which 563.7 square miles (1,460.0 km2) is land and 18 square miles (46.6 km2) (3.09%) is water.
- Hutchinson County, South Dakota - north
- Yankton County, South Dakota - east
- Knox County, Nebraska - south
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota - west
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,260 people, 2,635 households, and 1,786 families residing in the county. The population density was 13 people per square mile (5/km²). There were 3,007 housing units at an average density of 5 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.51% White, 0.62% Black or African American, 2.99% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.18% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 41.3% were of German, 19.8% Czech and 9.9% Dutch ancestry.
There were 2,635 households out of which 28.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.80% were married couples living together, 5.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.20% were non-families. 29.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.10% under the age of 18, 7.60% from 18 to 24, 26.80% from 25 to 44, 21.70% from 45 to 64, and 20.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 123.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 126.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,644, and the median income for a family was $36,924. Males had a median income of $24,303 versus $20,307 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,892. About 9.40% of families and 12.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.20% of those under age 18 and 13.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Avon (Population:590)
- Running Water
- Scotland (Population:841)
- Springfield (Population:1,989)
- Tabor (Population:423)
- Tyndall (Population:1,365)
The county is divided into four areas of unorganized territory: Northeast Bon Homme, Northwest Bon Homme, Southeast Bon Homme, Southwest Bon Homme.
- "Broadcast Pronunciation Guide and South Dakota Pronunciations". Associated Press. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bon Homme County, South Dakota.|
|Charles Mix County||Yankton County|
|Knox County, Nebraska|