Lyman County, South Dakota
|Lyman County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||W. P. Lyman, a politician|
|Largest community||Lower Brule|
|• Total||1,707 sq mi (4,421 km2)|
|• Land||1,642 sq mi (4,253 km2)|
|• Water||65 sq mi (168 km2), 3.8%|
|• Density||2.3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Hughes County, South Dakota - north
- Hyde County, South Dakota - northeast
- Buffalo County, South Dakota - northeast
- Brule County, South Dakota - east
- Gregory County, South Dakota - south
- Tripp County, South Dakota - south
- Mellette County, South Dakota - southeast
- Jones County, South Dakota - west
- Stanley County, South Dakota - northwest
National protected area
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,895 people, 1,400 households, and 1,009 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,636 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 64.75% White, 0.08% Black or African American, 33.27% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.05% from other races, and 1.62% from two or more races. 0.46% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,400 households out of which 36.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.40% were married couples living together, 13.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.90% were non-families. 24.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the county, the population was spread out with 32.10% under the age of 18, 7.60% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 20.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 104.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,509, and the median income for a family was $32,028. Males had a median income of $22,628 versus $18,672 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,862. About 19.40% of families and 24.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.00% of those under age 18 and 12.90% of those age 65 or over.
The county is divided into sixteen townships:
- Stony Butte
The county contains six areas of unincorporated territory:
- Black Dog
- Lower Brule
- Northwest Lyman
- South Lyman
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lyman County, South Dakota.|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lyman County, South Dakota
- USS Lyman County (LST-903)
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 192.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Dakota Territory, South Dakota, and North Dakota: Individual County Chronologies". Dakota Territory Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. 2006. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 994. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Stanley County||Hughes County||Hyde County and Buffalo County|
|Jones County||Brule County|
|Mellette County||Tripp County and Gregory County||Charles Mix County|