Hamlin County, South Dakota
|Hamlin County, South Dakota|
Hamlin County Courthouse in Hayti in 1974
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Hannibal Hamlin|
|• Total||538 sq mi (1,393 km2)|
|• Land||507 sq mi (1,313 km2)|
|• Water||31 sq mi (81 km2), 5.78%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Hamlin County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,903. Its county seat is Hayti. The county was named in honor of Hannibal Hamlin, Lincoln's first vice-president.
- Codington County, South Dakota - north
- Deuel County, South Dakota - east
- Brookings County, South Dakota - southeast
- Kingsbury County, South Dakota - southwest
- Clark County, South Dakota - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,540 people, 2,048 households, and 1,452 families residing in the county. The population density was 11 people per square mile (4/km²). There were 2,626 housing units at an average density of 5 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.48% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 0.58% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.11% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.63% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 28.7% were of German, 21.8% Norwegian, 13.0% Finnish and 7.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000. 95.2% spoke English, 2.6% German and 1.5% Spanish as their first language.
There were 2,048 households out of which 33.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.50% were married couples living together, 4.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.10% were non-families. 27.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the county, the population was spread out with 29.40% under the age of 18, 6.90% from 18 to 24, 24.00% from 25 to 44, 20.50% from 45 to 64, and 19.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 98.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,851, and the median income for a family was $41,511. Males had a median income of $28,446 versus $21,412 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,982. About 7.20% of families and 12.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.00% of those under age 18 and 14.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Bryant (Population:456)
- Castlewood (Population:627)
- Estelline (Population:768)
- Hayti (Population:381)
- Hazel (Population:91)
- Lake Norden (Population:467)
The county is divided into thirteen townships: Brantford, Castlewood, Cleveland, Dempster, Dixon, Estelline, Florence, Garfield, Hamlin, Hayti, Norden, Opdahl, and Oxford.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 148.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Clark County||Deuel County|
|Kingsbury County||Brookings County|