Yankton County, South Dakota
|Yankton County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1862|
|Named for||Yankton Sioux|
|• Total||533 sq mi (1,380 km2)|
|• Land||522 sq mi (1,352 km2)|
|• Water||11 sq mi (28 km2), 2.08%|
|• Density||41/sq mi (16/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Yankton County is the only county in the Yankton Micropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 532 square miles (1,380 km2), of which 521 square miles (1,350 km2) is land and 11 square miles (28 km2) (2.08%) is water. It is bordered by the Missouri River.
- Turner County, South Dakota - northeast
- Clay County, South Dakota - east
- Cedar County, Nebraska - southeast
- Knox County, Nebraska - southwest
- Bon Homme County, South Dakota - west
- Hutchinson County, South Dakota - northwest
||Hutchinson County||Turner County|
|Bon Homme County||Clay County|
|Knox County, Nebraska||Cedar County, Nebraska|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,652 people, 8,187 households, and 5,403 families residing in the county. The population density was 42 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 8,840 housing units at an average density of 17 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county is 95.10% White, 1.16% African American, 1.63% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.74% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. 1.82% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 8,187 households out of which 33.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.40% were married couples living together, 8.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.00% were non-families. 29.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.70% under the age of 18, 8.70% from 18 to 24, 29.00% from 25 to 44, 22.00% from 45 to 64, and 14.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 101.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,374, and the median income for a family was $43,600. Males had a median income of $29,010 versus $20,686 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,312. About 6.60% of families and 9.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.00% of those under age 18 and 9.00% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and Towns
The county is divided into nine townships: Gayville, Jamesville, Marindahl, Mayfield, Mission Hill, Turkey Valley, Utica, Volin, Walshtown; and two areas of unorganized territory: Southeast Yankton and West Yankton.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places in South Dakota". United States Census Bureau. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yankton County, South Dakota.|