Homophobia in the Black British community
Homophobia in the Black British community is prevalent in the United Kingdom. Many homosexuals in the black community get married or have significant others of the opposite sex to hide their sexuality. In 1998 Justin Fashanu, a gay footballer killed himself after publicly coming out to his brother. There is a lot of hate music written in the black community towards LGBT people; campaigns such as Stop Murder Music have tried to counteract this. Much of the black community sees homosexuality as a 'white disease'.
Many African immigrants to the United Kingdom feel like a double minority for being black and a homosexual which is believed keeping in the closet makes the situation worst. Many Black British gays face not only being socially isolated from their communities but possible being assaulted. Social critics are afraid to condemn black homophobia for fear of being accused of being racist.
- "Black Britain urged to accept gay men". BBC. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "The Bigotry That Dares Not Speak Its Name...". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "One minority at a time : being black and gay". Stonewall.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Amal Fashanu. "My uncle Justin Fashanu and the gay prejudice that lives stubbornly on in football". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Angella Johnson (2012-01-22). "John Fashanu disapproved of and disowned his brother Justin's gay lifestyle | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "MARTIN SAMUEL: Football needs more men like Justin Fashanu | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Reggae star barred from Britain. "Sizzla Denied Visa". Peter Tatchell. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Cohen, Benjamin (2006-03-20). "Beverly Knight hits out against homophobia in black music". PinkNews.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "How to tackle homophobia, sexism and racism among minority groups". Guardian. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- Tania Branigan. "Black anti-gay bias targeted | UK news". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Berkeley, Rob (2012-07-16). "How to tackle homophobia, sexism and racism among minority groups". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- Tania Branigan (2003-01-16). "Black anti-gay bias targeted | UK news". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Debunking Myths: A focus on African Men who have Sex with Men". African HIV Policy Network. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "Interview with Stephen K. Amos". Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "It is not Racist to Condemn Black Homophobia". Peter Tatchell. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "Boycott Bounty and his music of hate". Standard. Retrieved 2014-01-20.