|• Member Of Parliament||Sonia Gandhi|
|• Total||4,609 km2 (1,780 sq mi)|
|• Total||191,056 city and 3,404,004 district|
|• Density||739/km2 (1,910/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||UP 33|
|Sex ratio||941 ♂/♀|
Raebareli pronunciation (help·info)(Hindi: रायबरेली), is a city and a municipal board in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the administrative headquarters of Raebareli District. The town is situated at the bank of the Sai river, 82 km (51 mi), 70 km southeast of Lucknow. It possesses many architectural features, chief of which is a strong and spacious fort erected in 1403A.D. Among other ancient buildings are the magnificent palace and tomb of nawab Jahan Khan, governor in the time of Shah Jahan, and four fine mosques. The most important town within the district is Lalganj, Uttar Pradesh which is the proposed site for the Rail Coach Factory, Raebareli. The factory is already underway with construction activities in full.
Rae Bareli is located in the heartland of the famous Awadh region which was the part ancient Koshala kingdom. Tradition has it that the town was founded by the Bhars and was known as Bharauli or Barauli. Over the course of time, the name was changed to Bareli. The prefix "Rae" represents "Rai" the common title of the Kayasths and manihar who were masters of the town for a considerable period of time,some famous Kayasths are Rai Saheb Naseerabad, Kali Sahay Saheb, Dr.Shankar Dayal,Rai Saheb Amrit Rai etc. Raja Har Parshad, Kayasth, a native of this town from Naseerabad, was the Nazim or Commissioner of Khairabad Division during the reign of the ex-king. He joined the mutineers and went up to Naipal with Begum Hazrat Mahal of Oudh dynasty and On 31 December 1858 while returning after leaving her safe, he was killed in a battle with British army. The district of Rae Bareli was created by the British in 1858, and is named after its headquarters town. In the early 20th century, the town was an important center of trade, and Muslin and Cotton weaving. Its population was 15,880 in 1901.
- 1 Post Independence
- 2 Demographics
- 3 National protected area
- 4 Climate
- 5 Industry
- 6 Education
- 7 National Institute Of Fashion Technology
- 8 The Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology
- 9 The Feroze Gandhi Institute of Engineerig and Technology
- 10 Information technology
- 11 National Highways
- 12 NGO
- 13 Places of Interest
- 14 Famous People Of Area
- 15 External links
- 16 References
The city and the district became famous as a political bastion of the Nehru-Gandhi Nationalist family. After independence, Rae Bareli constituency was won by Jawaharlal Nehru's son-in-law Feroze Gandhi. After Feroze Gandhi's death in 1960, the constituency was won in 1967 by his wife Indira Gandhi (daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru), who went on to become the first woman Prime Minister of India. In 1977, after Indira Gandhi's election from Rae Bareli was revoked by Allahabad High Court for using state machinery in the elections. She held on to the power by having the President of India declare a national emergency.
As per provisional data of 2011 census,Rae Bareli had population of 3,404,004 of which male and female were 1,753,344 and 1,650,660 respectively. There was change of 18.51 percent in the population compared to census of 2001. As per 2011 census, 90.95% population of Rae Bareli districts lives in rural areas of villages. The total Rae Bareli district population living in rural areas is 3,096,097 of which males and females are 1,593,143 and 1,502,954 respectively. The initial provisional data released by census India 2011, shows that density of Rae Bareli district for 2011 is 739 people per km2. The Sex Ratio in Rae Bareli, stood at 941 per 1000 male. The Average literacy rate of Rae Bareli in 2011 was 69.04 with male and female literacy rate being 79.39 and 58.06 respectively.
National protected area
Rae Bareli has a warm subtropical climate with very cold and dry winters from December to Mid February and dry, hot summers from April to Mid June. The rainy season is from mid-June to mid-September, when it gets an average rainfall of 1200 mm mostly from the south-west monsoon winds. During extreme winter the maximum temperature is around 12 degrees Celsius and the minimum is in the 3 to 4 degrees Celsius range. Fog is quite common from late December to late January. Summers can be quite hot with temperatures rising to the 40 to 45 degree Celsius range.
- ITI Limited (Indian Telephone Industries Limited)- It is one of the six manufacturing plants of the Telecom giant.
- Rail Coach Factory, Raebareli
- Birla Cement Factory (Estd. 1997)
- Indo Gulf Fertilisers
- NTPC Ltd [ Power Utility ], Unchahar, Raebareli
- Reliance Cement Company Pvt Ltd
- Pal glass house unchahar raebareli
- Shree Bhawani Paper Mills Ltd.
Other than primary schools, Rae Bareli has several notable secondary and senior secondary schools:
- Ashirwad Inter College
- Guru Nanak Junior High School
- S.J.S Public School(http://www.sjsedu.org)
- Lotus Valley Convent School
- Janpad Inter College, Harchandpur
- Government Inter College
- Government Girls Inter College
- Gopal Sarswati Vidya Mandir Inter College
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya
- Shri Hemkund Public School
- Abhay Thaakur Institute of Designing
- St. James School & college
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Shubhasheesh Vidya Mandir
- St. Peter's School (http://www.stpetersschoolraebareli.org)
- Dayawati Modi Public School (http://dmpsraebareli.in/)
- Ryan International (http://www.ryanraebareli.org/)
- Horizon Public School, Ambedkar Nagar
- Mahatma Gandhi Inter College
- Bal Vidya Mandir
- Dayanand Anglo Vidyalaya
- Maharishi Vidya Mandir
- Urmila Inter College
- Wasi Naqvi National Inter College
- J.P.S.Public School
- Lucknow Public School
- New Vision School
- Acharya Dwivedi Inter College
- Vadik Bal Mandir Inter College
- New Standard Public School
- Mother Teresa Inter College
- K.D.Malviya Vidya Mandir
- Santi Neketan vidya Peetha
- BSS Public School
- Smt R D T Inter Collage, Sehgon
- Dr. Hargovind inter college, Hardaspur
- D A V Public School, Feroze Gandhi Unchahar Thermal Power Plant, NTPC Limited, Unchahar
- S.B Lal Memorial Public School, Pure Lala Sarayen, KasimPur
- Raja chandra chur shingh vidya pith inter collage maharaj ganj
- Shri vijay bahadur singh inter college mahraniganj raebareli
- Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Inter College, Dhani Savaiya, Unchahar
- Shiv Narayan Singh Vidya Mandir Inter Collage Deen Shah Gaura
- Shri Balikaran Singh Smarak inter Collage Deen Shah Gaura
- Durga bal vidya mandir junior high school, malik mau colony
- Gurukul Shiksha Niketan, Murai Bagh, Dalmau
- RDRK Senior Secondary School, Bachhrawan
- Panchsheel Mahavidyalaya ,Itaura Buzurg ,Raebareli ,http://www.panchsheelmahavidyalaya.org/
National Institute Of Fashion Technology
National Institute of Fashion Technology was set up in 1986 under the aegis of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. It has emerged as the premier Institute of Design, Management and Technology, developing professionals for taking up leadership positions in fashion business in the emerging global scenario. NIFT has been granted statutory status under the act of Parliament of India in 2006, empowering the Institute to award degrees and other academic distinctions. NIFT Rae Bareli has started functioning with effect from July 2007. Presently it is situated in the ITI Campus. The Institute is operational from a 10 acre sprawling campus resplendent with greenery and non polluting ambiance.
The main academic and administrative block is situated in a two storied building having adequate classrooms, studios, laboratories, and a resource centre which includes a library. The campus is located 3 km from Rae Bareli Jn. and 82 km from Lucknow . The Institute can be reached by road following the Lucknow – Allahabad National Highway. The Centre is strategically located amidst a rich cultural heritage of Avadh and expects to accomplish design intervention in the rich handicraft sector of Uttar Pradesh in order to provide opportunities to students to enrich themselves with work experience through the handling of live projects.
The Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology
Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology: Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India set up the institute at Jais, Rae Bareli district, Uttar Pradesh through an Act of Parliament. It has been accorded Institute of National Importance along the lines of the Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institutes of Management. With the status of a Deemed University, the institute awards degrees in its own right.It is co-promoted as an energy domain specific institute by six oil public sector units Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, Indian Oil Corporation, Oil India, Gas Authority of India Limited, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum in association with the Oil Industry Development Board.
The Feroze Gandhi Institute of Engineerig and Technology
Feroze Gandhi Institute of Engineering & Technology is a premier institute, established with a vision to develop world class technical professionals. FGIET having a spectacular campus of 22.5 acre with several conspicuous features. It Offers an amiable, verdant and eco-friendly atmosphere to the students and fosters them to be more meditative, veracious and focused.
The Institute was established by a dynamic organisation, inaugurated with the blessing of Smt. Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson UPA .
FGIET is committed to the objective of providing a quality study environment for Students, High Value, Career Oriented and quality based professional education are the hallmarks of FGIET’s programme.
FGIET is a Govt. Aidded Engineering college affiliated to UPTU(Lucknow Region).
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology
- Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER)
- Footwear Design and Development Institute
- Feroze Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technology (FGIET)
- Indira Gandhi Government Girls Inter College
- Dr. Ambedkar Government (PG) College Unchahar
- Panchsheel Degree College Itaura Buzurg
- Feroz Gandhi Polytechnic
- Feroz Gandhi Degree College
- Dayanand Degree College
- Indra Gandhi Rajkiya Mahila Degree College
- Sanskrit Degree College
- Gurukul Degree College
- Gurukul Public School and Inter college
- Gurukul Post Graduate College
- Gurukul Teacher Training College
- Kamla Nehru Post Graduate College
- Indian Training Institute
- Swami Satyamitranand Degree College
- Adharshila College of Professional Courses (Faculty of Law)
- Baiswara Post Graduate College
- Panchsheel Mahavidyalaya 
- Pankaj Maheshwari Smriti Mahavidyalaya, Jais
- Mahaveer Institute of Technology
- Kunwar Munindra Singh Mahavidyalaya Deen Shah Gaura
- Shubhasheesh Shiksha Avam Vikas Sewa Sansthan (For mentally challenged persons, as a group of parents, guardians and other enlightened members of society fully devoted with missionary zeal to the cause of welfare of mentally challenged children with mental retardation, cerebral palsy, autism and multiple disabilities)
NIC Rae Bareli district unit was established in 1988, with an aim to provide relentless information informatics services to the district administration in planning and development. Ever since, the NIC center has been helping the authorities by providing the necessary IT support in various important projects being run in the district.
- National Highway 24B (India) NH 24B = Lucknow - Raebareli - Allahabad
- National Highway 231 (India) NH 231 = Raebareli - Jaunpur district
- NH 232 = Ambedkar Nagar district - Raebareli - Banda, Uttar Pradesh
- NH 330A = Raebareli - Faizabad
- Basic Shiksha Manch, Uttar Pradesh
- Vishwas Sansthan
- Jan Sahyog Samiti, Baherwa, Unchahar, Raebareli-229406
- Golden Globe Foundation, Chichauli, Jagatpur, Unchahar, Raebareli-229402
Places of Interest
Indira Gandhi Memorial Botanical Garden
Indira Gandhi Memorial Botanical Garden was established in the year 1986 in order to restore the ecological balance. The garden is situated on the left side of Lucknow-Varanasi highway and on the northern bank of Sai river. The purpose of garden is not merely to make it a place for growing flowers, fruits or vegetables but also an educational installation for scientists, research workers/ students and general public for awakening interest in plant life.
Behta bridge is situated at the outskirts of the Rae Bareli city. The important feature of this bridge is that at this place Sharda canal crosses the Sai river. An aqueduct has been constructed and the canal flows in the duct.
Samaspur Bird Sanctuary
Samaspur Bird Sanctuary is situated in Rohaniya Development block of the district, about 122 km from Lucknow on Lucknow-Varanasi highway. It was established in 1987 on a total area of about 799.371 hectare. Nearest railway station is Unchahar and the nearest airport is Fursatganj, Rae Bareli. The best period to visit is from November to March. More than 250 varieties of birds can be seen there. Some of the birds come here from a distance of 5000 km which include Greleg Googe, Pin Tail, Common Teel, Vision, Showler, Surkhab etc. Local birds include Comb Duck, Whistling Teel, Spot Bill, Spoon Bill, King Fisher, Vulture etc. Twelve varieties of fish are there in the lake at Samaspur.
Lala Revti Ram ka Talab
Coordinates: 26°14'58"N 81°13'40"E Lala Retiram talab is located at krishnapur, is one of the most mysterious place in Raebareli.
One of the greatest historical monuments of Raebareli. During the British Rule, farmers were shot at this place. This is one of the main tourist attractions.
One of the biggest wells of the Uttar Pradesh, it is located Kila Bazar in Raebareli. It is being said that once there was a flood in this kuan and the whole city was drowned. Following the flood to prevent any such recurrence a gigantic iron disc was placed inside it at the bottom.
Famous People Of Area
- Rana Beni Madhav Singh(freedom fighter)
- Surya Kant Tripathi "Nirala"
- Pandit Mahaveer Prasad Dwivedi
- Malik Mohammed Jaisi
- Ali Miyan
- Maharishi Garg
- R.P Singh (Cricketer)
- Sudha singh (athlete)