Ramagundam Super Thermal Power Station
Nickname(s): "City of Energy""Coal city + Power city + Fertilizer city"
|Named for||Lord Rama|
|• Body||Ramagundam Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Konkati Laxminarayana|
|• M.L.A||Somarapu Satyanarayana|
|Elevation||179 m (587 ft)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||505208, 505209,505210,505211, 505214, 505215.|
|Vehicle registration||TS 02|
The town of Ramagundam gets its name from a combination of two words: (Rama + Gundam). A famous temple of the Hindu God Lord Rama is situated in the old part of the town and 'Gundam' means Water Springs. Ramagundam city is Adjacent to Godavarikhani city.
Nearby Townships/Areas around the city Godavarikhani like 8th Incline Colony , Fertilizer city Fertilizer Corporation of India NTPC-Jyothinagar, Medipally OCP, Powerhouse Colony-Ganganagar, Centenary Colony, Janagama, Pothana Colony,Gowthaminagar etc collectively called as "RAMAGUNDAM". Coal city (Godavarikhani),Power city(Jyoti nagar),Fertilizer city (Gouthami nagar) are the major industrial colonies.
Somarapu Satyanarayana, won as MLA in 2014 elections from Ramagundam constituency.
Ramagundam is located at  It has an average elevation of 179 meters (590 feet)..
Ramagundam city is situated in the Godavari Valley coalfields and has one of the India's largest Thermal Power stations in south region which is run by NTPC. Ramagundam is considered the MANCHESTER CITY OF INDIA in light of the companies surrounding the area. Mostly industries are connected with Godavarikhani-Jyothinagar-Ramagundam (This is also called Tri-Cities) Some of them are FCI: Fertilizer Corporation of India, Kesoram Cement, Basanth Nagar, NTPC (RSTPS - Ramagundam Super Thermal Power Station) sourcing 2600 MW of power 24/7 and the APSEB (Andhra Pradesh State Electricity Board) unit at Ramagundam. Another 1600MW (2 × 800MW) is proposed as RDM-II as per expansion plan by NTPC Limited. NTPC's first SPV or Solar photovoltaic unit of capacity 25MW (Phase-I 1 × 10MW, Phase-II 1 × 15MW) has been proposed at Ramagundam. This would help in earning carbon credits against use of solar power as renewable energy source.
APGENCO-RAMAGUNDAM- The Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, N Kiran Kumar Reddy has approved the plan to take up expansion of 1320 (2 × 660 MW) Super Critical Thermal Power Station at Ramagundam. The project will see an outlay of about Rs 7,920 crore. The required land, water and coal etc., are already available and the AP Genco will take up this project on priority.
Around 24 units of coal mines belt in Godavarikhani stretching 25 km including opencasts (state of the art proclainers) are used in these open coal mines. Pruthvi Banjan is the name given by Late Shri N. T. Rama Rao, the then Chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, to the thermal station for Godavarikhani community.Nations biggest under ground coalmine ( Adriyala long wall project at a cost of 1200cr) is under trial runs . The targeted capacity of adriyala project is 2.8 MT (Million Tonnes) per year and its entire coal will be directly supplied to NTPC ramagundam units by conveyor belt and goods wagons.
There are many factories around this place that take the raw material from the coalmines and prepare carbon derivatives.
The River Godavari flowing through this region made this a strategic location for all these companies providing employment to more than 15,000 people. The temperature is hotter than most places in India. The normal temperature is 40 degrees Celsius.
NTPC has developed a technique to reduce the temperature by reducing the carbon dioxide in its emissions and has thus helped reduce the average temperature by 2 degrees Celsius in the last decade.
NTPC has a policy of hiring full-time employees according to the production capacity. For the records, its present employees should not be more than 2600. Most of the production work has been done by the contract workers by which the local benefitting.
NTPC Ramagundam is considered to be one of the best in the nation (among 24 locations). NTPC is divided into 5 regions: Ramagundam falls in the southern region along with Simhadri and Kayamkulam. This provides a major chunk of the power supply to Dadar Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, PGCIL (Powergrid Corporation of India Limited).More than 38000 crores have been invested to build this massive organization which provides employment to more than 6000 people. Recently, the 7th unit was added (in August 2004) with an additional capacity of 500 MW. NTPC Ramagundam has an exemplary vision for the environment which includes afforestation, monitoring environment impacts using NRSA satellite imaging services, Ash pond treatment, Ash brick plants and creating awareness of the environment in the local community. RSTPS had less than 10 disturbances in the years 2005–2006 and none lasted more than a day.
Fertilizer Corporation of India (FCIL): National Fertilizers Limited NFL), Engineers India Limited (EIL) and Fertilizer Corporation of India (FCIL) have signed an agreement to form a joint venture company (JVC) for setting up new ammonia and urea plants at the existing site of Ramagundam Fertilizer plant. The joint venture agreement for the new company, named Ramagundam Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited, was signed on January 14, 2015 at Noida in the presence of Ananth Kumar, Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers, and Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas. Pre-project activities have been started. NFL’s expertise would be utilized for the operation and maintenance of the plant. The project comprises a 2200 metric tonne per day (MTPD) ammonia plant and 3850 MTPD urea plant. FCIL will hold a stake in the JV, being the provider of existing infrastructure of Ramagundam Project. Total investment in the project by the PSU promoters is estimated to be in the range of Rs 5,000 crore. Execution of construction activities is expected to start in early 2016.
Godavarikhani and Jyothinagar(NTPC) are the two major Telecom Exchange facilities available around this region and the Railway station of the city is the biggest in Karimnagar district.
As of 2011[update] India census, Ramagundam had a population of 229,644. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Ramagundam has an average literacy rate of 69%: male literacy is 75.3%, and female literacy is 62.4%. In Ramagundam, 8% of the population is under 6 years of age. Ramagundam is a municipal corporation in karimnagar district next to district headquarters.
Place to visit
- Bugga Ramalingeswara temple
- Yellampalli project
- Godavari river
- Trilingeswara Temple
- Rama Padalu and Water Springs
- Ramagiri Fort
Ramagundam is connected to major parts of the state through a well connected road, Rajiv Rahadari (Rajiv Highway/ Hyderabad-Karimnagar-Ramagundam Road) (Freeway ( Toll pay from 2015 )of Late Shri Rajiv Gandhi) in remembrance of the Gandhi family and the political party he hailed from, the (Congress I). Godavarikhani Depot APSRTC provides good connections in this region. Mostly buses start from Godavarikhani busstation which is 8 km distance from Railwaystation. They are many Express,Deluxe,Superluxury,Garuda,Indra Buses to Hyderabad and Express and deluxe buses to some places like Karimnagar, Warangal, Guntur, Mahabubabad, Bhadrachalam, Nellore, Nizamabad, Vemulawada and interstate buses to Ramtek, Aheri, Gadchiroli, Chandrapur, etc.,And also RTC runs shuttle buses to nearby towns and villages to Ramagundam railwaystation, Manthani, 8th Incline Colony,Pothanacolony, Centenary Colony,Jallaram Kamanpur,Sundilla temple,Begampeta odedu,Dharmaram,Anthargaon Goliwada,Moormur(Yellampalli project),Kaalvasrirampur,Katkoor.Jammikunta,Bhupalapally,Asifabad, Bellampally, Mancherial, Peddapally etc.,
Local transportation include auto rickshaws in the city.
RAMAGUNDAM(IR code: RDM) is a part of Secunderabad Division of South Central Railway.It has Grand Trunk Railway Route,which connects to all the four metropolitan cities of India. Ramagundam Railway Station is biggest station in Karimnagar district and last junction in Telangana State. Most of the trains passing to New Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, Trivandrum through this Main Route have halts at this station and it is also a good commercial stoppage for railways providing good wages to Railways.Mostly Employees,Officers,workers,Business people who hails from North and south parts of India working in NTPC powerplant,SCCL mines, Kesoram birla A-1 cement Company travel to their Nativeplaces frequently from this station itself and Some of the Trains which halts are Andhra Pradesh Express, Dakshin Express, Telangana Express, AndhraPradesh Sampark Kranthi Express, Secunderabad-Patna express, Grand Trunk Express, Lucknow Yesvantapur SF express,Andaman express,Pataliputra Danapur-Yesvantapur express, Kerala Express ,Ernakulam Patna express,Rameswaram varanasi express,Navayuga Express,Chennaicentral-Bikaner AC superfast express,Secunderabad-Darbanga express,Tirunelveli Jammutawi express,Himsagar express,Yesvantapur Jabalpur SF express,Sec-Nagpur SF express,Gorakhpur Bangalore city express, Sanghamitra Express, Bhagmati Express, Okha puri express,Gandhidham-Visakhapatnam express,Madurai-Dehradun express,Korba Tvc SF express,Raptisagar SF express,Ahilyanagri SF express, etc. And Ramagundam Station got best and neat Railway station award, 2 times from South Central Railway(SCR). The trains touches this Railwayline go to New Delhi from Hyderabad,Chennai,Bangalore and Trivandrum.
New railway lines under development/proposal:
- Manuguru-Ramagundam (got project planning committee approval in 2013).
- Nizamabad-Ramagundam(survey completed).
- Renigunta junction - Ramagundam (under survey).(This Railwayline reduces traffic and distance between Chennai and Newdelhi
There is an airport at Basant nagar Kesoram cement factory at Ramagundam which is about 50 km from Karimnagar City. It was used when the Government of India was operating Vayudoot airlines a subsidiary of Air India and Indian Airlines. After the closure of Vayudoot, it has not been regular use. As of 2010, it is only used for landing of any VVIP's flights or for emergency landing of flights. The nearest major airport is around 250 km away at Hyderabad, Hyderabad International Airport and it is connected by the state highway via Karimnagar and Siddipet.
- University Post-Graduate college (UPGC), Beside to Sri saraswati shishu mandir,Sharada Nagar,Rajeev Rahadari, Godavarikhani.
- Sindhura college of Engineering and Technology, NTPC, Jyothinagar, Godavarikhani, Ramagundam.
- Central Computer Information Technology (CCIT), NTPC, Jyothinagar, Opp. T T S Gate, Ramagundam.
- Lotus Institute of Management Studies (LITS) Opposite CISF QUARTERS,Malkapur road, Godavarikhani.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (NTPC).
- Sachdeva School of Excellence (NTPC).
- Chinmaya Vidayalaya (Now called as Sachdeva school of Excellence).
- St. Claire Convent School (NTPC).
- Gowtham Model School (Jyothinagar).
- ZPHS (NTPC).
- Vishwashanthi High School (medipally).
- Vishwabharathi High School (medipally).
- MAHARSHI Degree College,, Markandeya Colony, Godavarikhani.
- Sri Chaitanya Degree & PG College, Markandeya Colony, Godavarikhani.
- Gandhi Degree and PG College,Markandeya Colony, Godavarikhani.
- Gouthami sai Degree and PG College, Markandeya Colony, Godavarikhani.
- Gandhi Jr College, Markandeya Colony, Godavarikhani.
- Gandhi Memorial Women`s Degree College.
- Gandhi Memorial Jr College.
- Government PG College.
- Sacred Heart School.
- St .Pauls English Medium High School.
- Indo American School (L.B Nagar).
- Singareni Colleries High School.
- Sri Bala Saraswathi High School,Dwaraka Nagar.
- Shanthinikethan High School (8, Incline Colony).
- Navodaya Jr. College (8, Incline Colony).
- Spandhana High School (8, Incline Colony).
- Bhanu Multimedia Education (Godavarikhani).
- Sri Rama Vidya Nikethan High School, Addaguntapally, Gdk estd. 1982.
- Amareshwara Vidyanikethan, Vittal Nagar.
- Sri Vani Nikethan High School, Markandeya Colony.
- Gouthami Sai Junior & Degree Colleges.
- Sri Venkateshwara Vidyanikethan High School (Telugu & English Medium), Rajiv Nagar, Gdk.
- Geethanjali High School (Telugu & English Medium), Gandhi Nagar, Godavarikhani.
- St. Joseph's School, Ramagundam.
- Sri Saraswathi Shishu Mandir.
- Ramagundam Government Public School.
- Vasavya High School, Vijaynagar.
- Little Citizens High School.
- Sri rama vidyalayam, vidyanagar.
- Vani Vidya Vihar High School, Markandeya colony.
- Krishnaveni Talent Schools(NTPC & GDK).
- Vyshnavi IIT olympiad A/C Schools.
- Oxford English medium school, IB colony.
- Sri Chaitanya techno school- FCI
- Sri Akshara International School - GDK (Prashanth nagar/Malkapur road ) Managed and by Royal Group of Institutions (Bengaluru).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramagundam.|
- "List of Sub-Districts". Census of India. Retrieved 2007-05-29.
- Falling Rain Genomics.Ramgundam
- NTPC Power Plants - Ramagundam
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- "Ramagundam (M)(802907)". censusindia.gov.in 2011 Indian Census. 2011. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Ramagundam (M + OG) (Part)(802907)". censusindia.gov.in 2011 Indian Census. 2011. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.