Romford railway station
Location of Romford in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Havering|
|Managed by||Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||5|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Romford railway station is an interchange station on the Great Eastern Main Line, serving the town of Romford in the London Borough of Havering, east London. It is approximately 12 miles (19 km) down line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Chadwell Heath and Gidea Park. Its three-letter station code is RMF and it is in Travelcard Zone 6.
The station was opened in 1839 by the Eastern Counties Railway. It is currently managed by Abellio Greater Anglia. The majority of services call at Romford as part of the Shenfield-Liverpool Street stopping "metro" service, but the station is also served by some services to Southend Victoria and Colchester Town. A branch line also links Romford to Upminster. From 2018, Romford will be fully served by Crossrail, linking it to additional stations in central London as well as Reading and London Heathrow Airport. Crossrail will initially take over the Shenfield "metro" from May 2015.
Romford station opened on 20 June 1839 as the eastern terminus of the Eastern Counties Railway from Mile End. Both termini were temporary with the line extending east to Brentwood and west to Bishopsgate (Low Level) in 1840. On 7 June 1893 the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway opened a second station in Romford, served by the Upminster branch line. The two stations were combined in 1934.
Accidents and incidents
- On 29 December 1944, one person was killed and three were injured when, in darkness and heavy fog, a Chelmsford-London service passed a red signal at Romford and ran into the rear of a stationary freight train. The passenger train's speed at the moment of impact was about 15 mph. One crew member on the goods train was killed instantly. The Chelmsford train driver was held responsible for the collision in a Ministry of War Transport report.
- On 4 February 2010, two people standing on the platforms at Romford were injured when a quantity of stone ballast was shed from a freight train passing through the station. Subsequent examination found that the train wagon's doors had not been properly closed when it departed from the goods yard at Acton, west London, bound for Ipswich.
Typical off-peak service from the station is:
- 8 tph (trains per hour) to London Liverpool Street
- 2 calling at Stratford only
- 6 calling at all stations
- 6 tph to Shenfield calling at all stations
- 2 tph to Upminster via the Upminster branch line calling at Emerson Park only
- 1 tph to Southend Victoria calling at Shenfield, then all stations
- 1 tph to Colchester Town calling at Shenfield, Chelmsford, Witham, then all stations
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Romford - Shenfield - Chelmsford - Witham - Kelvedon - Marks Tey - Colchester - Colchester Town||Class 321, Class 360||1x per hour||Not Sundays|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Romford - Shenfield - Billericay - Wickford - Rayleigh - Hockley - Rochford - Southend Airport - Prittlewell - Southend Victoria||Class 321||1x per hour||Not Sundays|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Maryland - Forest Gate - Manor Park - Ilford - Seven Kings - Goodmayes - Chadwell Heath - Romford - Gidea Park - Harold Wood - Brentwood - Shenfield||Class 315||6x per hour|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||Romford - Emerson Park - Upminster||Class 317, Class 315||2x per hour||Not Sundays|
London Buses routes 5; 66; 86; 103; 128; 165; 174; 175; 193; 247; 248; 252; 294; 347; 365; 370; 375; 496; 498; 499 and school routes 647; 648; 649; 650; 651; 674 and 686 and night routes N15 and N86 and LSP route 575 all serve the station.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Buses from Romford" (PDF). Transport for London.
- TFL appoints London Overground operator to run additional services Transport for London 28 May 2014
- TfL count on LOROL for support Rail Professional 28 May 2014
- "Capital's key services protected, says Johnson". The Press Association. 20 October 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Romford railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Romford railway station from National Rail
- Excel file displaying National Rail station usage information for 2005/06
- Old LTSR entrance after conversion
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Abellio Greater Anglia
Great Eastern Main Line
|Abellio Greater Anglia
Great Eastern Main Line
|Abellio Greater Anglia||Terminus|
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
|Great Eastern Railway|