Romford railway station
The fast line platforms.
Location of Romford in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Havering|
|Managed by||Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||5|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Romford railway station is an interchange station located on South Street in the town centre of Romford in the London Borough of Havering. It is on the National Rail network with all trains and station management provided by Abellio Greater Anglia. Romford is on the Great Eastern Main Line, served by local services (Shenfield Metro), express services from Liverpool Street to the East Anglia and branch line services from Romford to Upminster. The station opened on 20 June 1839 as the eastern terminus of the Eastern Counties Railway line from Mile End. On 7 June 1893 a second station in Romford was opened by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway and the two stations were combined in 1934. It is in London fare zone 6, has five platforms, provides connections to a significant number of London Buses routes, and has high usage for a suburban railway station.
Romford station opened on 20 June 1839 as the eastern terminus of the Eastern Counties Railway line from Mile End. Both termini were temporary with the line extending east to Brentwood and west to Shoreditch in 1840. On 7 June 1893 the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway opened a second station in Romford, served by the Romford to Upminster Line.
All train services are currently operated by Abellio Greater Anglia. It is in Travelcard Zone 6. It is planned that Crossrail line 1 will call at Romford in 2018. The station is 12 miles (19.3 km) down line from Liverpool Street.
Typical off-peak service from the station is:
- 8 tph (trains per hour) to London Liverpool Street
- 2 calling at Stratford only
- 6 calling at all stations
- 6 tph to Shenfield calling at all stations
- 2 tph to Upminster via the Upminster branch line calling at Emerson Park only
- 1 tph to Southend Victoria calling at Shenfield, then all stations
- 1 tph to Colchester Town calling at Shenfield, Chelmsford, Witham, then all stations.
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Romford - Shenfield - Chelmsford - Witham - Kelvedon - Marks Tey - Colchester - Colchester Town||Class 321, Class 360||1x per hour||Not Sundays|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Romford - Shenfield - Billericay - Wickford - Rayleigh - Hockley - Rochford - Southend Airport - Prittlewell - Southend Victoria||Class 321||1x per hour||Not Sundays|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Maryland - Forest Gate - Manor Park - Ilford - Seven Kings - Goodmayes - Chadwell Heath - Romford - Gidea Park - Harold Wood - Brentwood - Shenfield||Class 315||6x per hour|
|Abellio Greater Anglia||Romford - Emerson Park - Upminster||Class 317, Class 315||2x per hour||Not Sundays (Sometimes operates Sundays to allow passengers to access The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway during engineering work on the Great Eastern Main Line)|
London Buses Routes 5, 66, 86, 103, 128, 165, 174, 175, 193, 247, 248, 252, 294, 347, 365, 370, 375, 496, 498, 499, 575 (LSP route runs Mon-Fri), Night Routes N15, N86, School Routes 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 674 and 686.
In the media
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Buses from Romford". Transport for London.
- "Capital's key services protected, says Johnson". The Press Association. 20 October 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- TFL appoints London Overground operator to run additional services Transport for London 28 May 2014
- TfL count on LOROL for support Rail Professional 28 May 2014
- "Death causes delays on rail line". BBC News. 14 February 2008.
- "Street fight man dies in hospital". BBC News. 19 October 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Romford railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Romford railway station from National Rail
- Excel file displaying National Rail station usage information for 2005/06
- Old LTSR entrance after conversion
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Abellio Greater Anglia
Romford to Upminster Line
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
|Terminus||Romford to Upminster Line||Emerson Park
|Great Eastern Railway|