TATA Sky logo
|Key people||Harit Nagpal (MD & CEO)|
|Products||Direct broadcast satellite, pay television, pay-per-view|
|Parent||Tata Sons (70%)
STAR India (20%)
Temasek Holdings, owned by Singapore Government (10%)
Tata Sky is a direct broadcast satellite television provider in India, using MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 digital compression technology, transmitting using INSAT 4A satellite at 83.0°E. Incorporated in 2004, Tata Sky is a Joint venture between the TATA Group and 21st Century Fox
Its primary competitors are cable television and other DTH service providers - Airtel digital TV, Dish TV, Sun Direct, Reliance Digital TV, DD Direct+ & Videocon D2H. It currently offers 256 SD channels & 24 HD channels (as of February 2014). Tatasky also offers interactive services called ‘Actve’.
Tata Sky is a joint venture between the Tata Sons, that owns 70% and STAR India that owns a 20% stake. In 2008, Singapore-based Temasek Holdings picked up 10% stake in Tata Sky from the Tata Group. Tata Sky was incorporated in 2004 but was launched only in 2006.
STAR’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, owns an International group of DTH businesses that include Sky Italia in Italy and BSkyB in United Kingdom. The company uses the Sky brand owned by British Sky Broadcasting.
In March 2010, Sun Microsystems partnered with Tata Sky to provide IT Infrastructure solutions and support for the launch of the company's direct-to-home (DTH) television.
Tata Sky partnered with Thomson and Humax, world leaders in digital broadcast technology for building top-of-the line set top boxes, customized specifically for the Indian markets.
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)
Tata Sky was the second operator to launch DTH or direct-to-home services in 2006. At that time, the company decided to use an ISRO satellite. In 2005, Tata Sky signed a contract with ISRO for provision of satellite space and took 12 transponders on INSAT 4A.
In 2007, one year after the launch of the DTH player, Tata Sky asked for 12 more transponders from ISRO for more space to increase the number of channels they telecast. The transponders were to be given to Tata Sky by 2009 on the GSAT 10 satellite, a new high power satellite inducted into the INSAT system. The GSAT 10 was launched in September 2012, but Tata Sky has not been given the transponders till today.
Set Top Box
Tata Sky offers 3 kinds of set-top-boxes:
- Basic set-top-box offering SD picture (4:3 aspect ratio) and stereo sound
- Tata Sky HD launched on June 14, 2010 and has channels in their native resolution of 1080i or 720p (16:9 aspect ratio). Currently it offers 1 3D movie channel (Showcase 3D) and 24 HD channels - MTunes HD, National Geographic Channel HD, Discovery HD World, STAR Movies HD, STAR Plus HD, Star Sports HD1,Star Sports HD2, STAR World HD, STAR Gold HD, Star Sport HD2, Zee TV HD, Sony HD, Colors HD, Star World Premiere HD, TEN HD, Zee Cinema HD, Movies Now HD, HBO Hits HD, HBO Defined HD, Sun TV HD, Gemini HD, Sony Six HD, Zee Studio HD, CNBC Prime HD and Life OK HD. The STB is 3D ready compatible with 7.1 CH surround sound as well.
- Tata Sky + (DVR service) launched in October 2008, allowed 90 hours of recording (rewind, forward, pause) in a MPEG-4 compatible Set Top Box. After 2011, TATA Sky+ started selling only HD Version of TATA Sky+, know as TATA Sky+ HD. Tata Sky launched their HD DVR Set Top Box which comes with a 500 GB Hard Disk. Wherein, almost 120 GB is reserved for upcoming services like VOD leaving about 425 hours of SD recording or 380 GB that is actually usable by customers. The set-top-box is 3D ready and on the New Year Eve of 2013-14 Tata Sky showcased the first ever 3D movie on their pay-per-view channel – Showcase.
- Interactive Services 
- Tata Sky is the forerunner in introducing new-age interactive services for the consumers that provide various benefits in addition to watching television channels over the TV. It has revolutionized the way people use the television for various purposes like learning and developing their skills. Currently 7 popular interactive services are available: Actve Fun Learn for Kids, Actve English targeted for Homemakers, Actve Vedic Maths for students, Actve Darshan for the spiritually inclined, Actve Music, Actve Cooking and Actve Smart Games. (Services have been added and discontinued from the platform basis customer feedback from time to time).
- Programming guide in Hindi
- Tata Sky is the first company across the globe to introduce the advanced technology of a programming guide on television. It gives subscribers flexibility to choose the language in which they want to view daily programme listings, with the Hindi Programming Guide.
- A-La-Carte channel service 
- Tata Sky is the first ever DTH company in India, to allow customers the option of choosing the channels they desire and create their own pack for a minimum billing of only Rs.155. There is no compulsion to choose from the existing packages offered.
- 3D movies on Tata Sky 
- Tata Sky set a new precedent in the DTH space by bringing 3D movies for its subscribers on the eve of New Year (31st Dec’13). 3D movies were shown for the first time by any Pay TV operator in India. The movie lineup includes Avengers and Planes.
- Video on Demand 
- On December 25, 2011 Tata Sky launched Video on Demand (VoD) services for their Tata Sky+ HD set-top boxes. Tata Sky VoD service includes Catch Up TV and VoD library of over 2000 movies & TV concerts for subscribers for download. This requires a separate broadband or wi-fi connection to be plugged into the STB.
- Do It Yourself
- Do-it-Yourself is part of the Video on Demand (VoD) service for all its Tata Sky+ HD subscribers. Assortment of over 600 easy-to-learn video covering multiple genres including Musical Instruments, Health & Fitness, Ayurveda, Hobbies, Cooking, Beauty & Skincare with greater picture quality, are available for easy download.
- Karoake (VIDEO BASED)
- with this feature you can sing a song while seeing a video with the help of titles which were running while the song is playing. it costs only 1990/- for mic and annual subscription. it is the service available for only Tata Sky + HD subscribers.
Tata Sky Universal Remote & App
Tata Sky Universal Remote
In June 2013, Tata Sky launched their Universal Remote for their customers. This Universal Remote can be helpful to operate television sets and STB in One Remote.
Tata Sky Everywhere TV App 
Tata Sky, launched Everywhere TV in October 2013 as a part of the Tata Sky Mobile App, where Tata Sky subscribers can enjoy TV channels, movies-on-demand and Catch-up TV on the move.
Features of Everywhere TV:
- Live TV: Subscribers can view live streaming of their favourite shows on over 55 TV channels and also set reminders for the shows they want to catch
- Catch Up TV: Subscribers can watch previous 5 days episodes of their favourite shows
- Video on Demand (VoD): Subscribers can download or watch through direct streaming over hundreds of videos including movies and Do It Yourself videos on their handheld devices
- Actve Music: Tata Sky’s most popular interactive service, is also available on mobile handsets through this app, where a range of music genres is available without the intervention of RJs/VJs
- Downloading the service is free from the app store, while streaming Everywhere TV there is an admin fee of just Rs. 60 per month for Tata Sky subscribers
- Everywhere TV is accessible on 3G & broadband services
Celebrities associated with Tata Sky
- Aamir Khan
- Hrithik Roshan
- Paresh Rawal
- Kirron Kher
- Saqib Salam
Awards and Accolades
ISO 27001: 2005 accreditation
In March 2009, Tata Sky became the first Indian direct-to-home (DTH) service provider to be awarded the ISO 27001:2005 accreditation, the benchmark for information security. ISO 27001:2005 is an international standard that provides specifications and guidance for the establishment and proper maintenance of an Information Security Management System (ISMS).
|Yahoo Big Idea Chair Award ||Best use of Mobile Advertising||2013|
|ET Brand Equity||Product of the Year – Tata Sky + HD||2013|
|ET Brand Equity||Best DTH brand||2012|
|Superbrands Council ||Superbrand||2009-2010|
Tata Sky has a subscriber base of over 11 million customers, as of January 2014.
- "Tata Sky on Insat 4A". LyngSat. Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- TATASKY SEES 30 PER CENT RISE IN SUBSCRIBER BASE