2040 (MMXL) will be a leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2040th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 40th year of the 3rd millennium, the 40th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- May 11 – Partial solar eclipse.
- September 8 – Planetary alignment of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the crescent Moon.
- November 4 – Partial solar eclipse.
- Global energy consumption will have increased by 56 percent from 2010, from 524 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu) to 820 quadrillion Btu.
- The United Kingdom and France plan to ban the sale of all new diesel and petrol cars by this year.
- Japan will have shut down the last of its nuclear power plants.
- The Antarctic treaty will come under review.
- The United States Air Force will start an at least partial phase-out of their B-52 bombers, which by 2040 will have served 85 years of combat.
- NASA predicts that by this year it will cost only tens of dollars per pound to launch humans or cargo into space.
- Projected completion date for the Trans-European Transport Networks (TEN-T) rail corridor running from Germany to southern Italy.
- Space-based solar power will be commercially viable.
- The Great Red Spot on Jupiter's atmosphere will become circular according to calculations based on its reduction rate at present.
- Amsterdam aims to be fossil fuel-free, powering its electric cars, trucks, boats, and buildings with energy generated by wind, solar, and biomass.
- Completion of the Northeast Corridor high-speed rail route, running from Boston to Washington, D.C.
- Pollen counts will be more than double today's level, due to climate change.
- "Planets for Dessert - NASA Science". Science.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "EIA projects world energy consumption will increase 56% by 2040 - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)". Eia.gov. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK - BBC News". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Justin McCurry (2012-09-19). "Japan plans to end reliance on nuclear power within 30 years | World news". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "JSC Celebrates 40 Years of Human Space Flight". NASA. 2002-09-03. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Jim Baumann. "Development of Alpine Rail Link using GIS". Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Nancy Owano (2011-11-15). "IAA says 'Yes We Can' to power plants in orbit". Physorg.com. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Top EV-Friendly Cities: What Are They Doing Right?". Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- Falk, Tyler (2012-07-09). "On Amtrak, Philadelphia to New York in 37 minutes | ZDNet". Smartplanet.com. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "The Amtrak Vision for the Northeast Corridor : 2012 Update Report" (PDF). Amtrak.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 30, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "The Year 2040: Double the Pollen, Double the Allergy Suffering?". NewsWise/American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI). 30 October 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2013.