This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
2049 (MMXLIX) will be a common year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2049th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 49th year of the 3rd millennium, the 49th year of the 21st century, and the 10th and last year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- May 7 – Transit of Mercury.
- December – The very earliest and possible response signal from the Gliese 581 planetary system, should there be one by intelligent extraterrestrial life, will be received. A signal was transmitted to the Gliese 581 planetary system in August 2009, taking about 20.3 years to reach its destination.
- December 20 – The present "One country, two systems" with Macau, guaranteed for 50 years starting from December 20, 1999, provided under the Basic Law, will expire.
- Grego, Peter (2007). Venus and Mercury, and How to Observe Them. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 227. ISBN 9780387742861.
- "10 fascinating facts about Europe's last colony in Asia – and the most crowded place on Earth". The Telegraph. Retrieved 8 May 2018.