|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ab urbe condita||2802|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊辰年 (Earth Dragon)
4745 or 4685
— to —
己巳年 (Earth Snake)
4746 or 4686
|- Vikram Samvat||2105–2106|
|- Shaka Samvat||1970–1971|
|- Kali Yuga||5149–5150|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 61
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 138
|Thai solar calendar||2592|
2049 (MMXLIX) will be a common year starting on Friday (dominical letter C) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2049th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 49th year of the 3rd millennium, the 49th year of the 21st century, and the 10th and last year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- May 7 – Transit of Mercury.
- December – The very earliest and possible response signal from the Gliese 581 vicinity, should there be one by intelligent extraterrestrial life, will be received. A signal was transmitted to the Gliese 581 vicinity in August 2009, taking about 20.3 years to reach its destination.
- December 20 – The present "One country, two systems" with Macau, guaranteed for 50 years starting from December 20, 1999 provided under the Basic Law, will expire.
- The races in San Francisco Rush 2049, the last arcade game from Atari Games, take place during this year and given the military naval presence and appearance of a full moon suggest this is during Fleet Week 2049 hence on or about the tenth of October. In-game advertisements about the races call it the "53rd Annual San Francisco Rush Tournament" (which set the races in the original San Francisco Rush in the year 1996—the year that the original game was released), and it is sponsored by "J. Ray and Associates" (a reference to the game's producer, John Ray).
- In the 1932 novel Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, 2049 sees the outbreak of The Nine Years' War, a conflict which devastates the entire planet and convinces world leaders to unite as a peaceful, but controversial, world society.
- The events of the series IGPX take place.
- The "Blade Runner" sequel "Blade Runner 2049" takes place in 2049
- The Disney Channel movie Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century takes place in 2049, 50 years after the movie debuted on television in 1999.
- The video game Vectorman takes place in 2049
- The video game Miner 2049er takes place in 2049
- The video game M.A.C.H. takes place in 2049
- The video game When it's Over takes place in early 2049
- The video game Nier takes place in 2049
- The video game Crimson Tears is set in Tokyo in 2049
- The Doctor Who episode Kill the Moon is set in 2049
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2015)|