|Decades:||2200s 2210s 2220s 2230s 2240s
2250s 2260s 2270s 2280s 2290s
The 23rd century will be the century of the Common Era which, in the Gregorian calendar, will begin on January 1, 2201, and end on December 31, 2300. It is distinct from the century known as the 2200s, which will begin on January 1, 2200 and will end on December 31, 2299.
- 1 Predictions for the 23rd century
- 2 Easter
- 3 Religious predictions
- 4 Science fiction set in the 23rd century
- 5 Centuries and millennia
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Predictions for the 23rd century
List of the long total solar eclipses
- July 27, 2204: Solar eclipse, (7 min 22 s), of saros 139.
- August 8, 2222: Solar eclipse, (7 min 06 s), of saros 139.
- August 18, 2240: Solar eclipse, (6 min 40 s), of saros 139.
- May 7, 2255: Solar eclipse, (6 min 22 s), of saros 142.
- August 29, 2258: Solar eclipse, (6 min 09 s), of saros 139.
- May 17, 2273: Solar eclipse, (6 min 31 s), of saros 142.
- May 28, 2291: Solar eclipse, (6 min 34 s), of saros 142, "crowning" this series.
- 2209 and 2284: perihelion of Comet Halley.
- May 27, 2221: near-Earth asteroid (285263) 1998 QE2 will pass Earth at a distance of 0.038 AU (5,700,000 km; 3,500,000 mi).
- 2221: Triple conjunction of Mars and Saturn.
- December 2, 2223: At 12:32 UTC Mars will occult Jupiter.
- 2227: Pluto's orbit takes it closer to the sun than Neptune.
- 2238/2239: Triple conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn (whose last triple conjunction was in 1981).
- August 12, 2243: At 04:52 UTC, Venus will occult Saturn.
- June 11, 2247: Transit of Venus.
- March 4, 2251: At 10:52 UTC, Venus will occult Uranus.
- In 2252, the planetoid Orcus will have completed one orbit of the Sun since its discovery in 2004, based upon current orbital measurements which give it a period of 248 Earth years.
- August 1, 2253: Mercury occults Regulus (last occultation of Regulus by Mercury was on August 13, 364 BC).
- June 9, 2255: Transit of Venus.
- 2256 to 2258: Eris will reach perihelion for the first time since discovery.
- October 6, 2271: Close conjunction between Venus and Regulus, perhaps occultation of Regulus by Venus.
- 2279: Triple conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn.
- 2281, 2282: Grand Trine of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. This last occurred in 1769 and 1770.
- Sunday, August 28, 2287: Closest approach between Mars and Earth since Wednesday, August 27, 2003.
- In 2288, the planetoid Quaoar will have completed one orbit of the Sun since its discovery in 2002, which, based upon current orbital measurements, gives it a period of 286 Earth years.
- 2300: The United Nations predicts that life expectancies in most developed countries will be 87–106 years, and slowly rising, though rising more slowly than before. However, these projections also show that life expectancies in poor countries will still be less than in rich countries in 2300, in some cases by as much as 20 years; the UN itself mentioned that gaps in life expectancy so far in the future will likely not exist, especially since the exchange of technology between rich and poor countries and the industrialization and development of poor countries will cause their life expectancies to fully converge with those of rich countries long before that point, similarly to how life expectancies between rich and poor countries have already been converging over the last 60 years as better medicine, technology, and living conditions became accessible to many people in poor countries. The UN has warned that these projections are uncertain, and caution that any change or advancement in medical technology could invalidate their projections.
- 2300: The U.N. projects the world population in 2300 to be about 10 billion, but any changes in future birthrates or in projections of future life expectancy could invalidate those projections as well.
- 2300: Google's plan to index all the world's information and make it searchable could be achieved, according to Eric Schmidt.
- 2300: No new PESEL numbers can be allocated, the number required by law for all Polish citizens.
- c.2256: According to estimates made in 2006, the Centralia mine fire, which ignited under the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania in May 1962, is expected to continue burning for at least 250 years as of 2006.
- According to one Jewish interpretation of creation, Adam was created in 3761 BC. It will have been 6,000 years since then in 2239, thereby initiating a spiritual Sabbatical on a global scale lasting a thousand years (the 7th Millennium on the Hebrew Calendar). On the same basis, the common assumption in 16th-century Europe was that the current world would end in 2242. Even Nostradamus's well-known prediction that his prophecies would run out in 3797, first made in 1555 (see Nostradamus source-list), would seem to fit this tradition (3797 – 1555 = 2242).
- According to a number of Jewish scholars, the Year 6000 (2240) of the Hebrew calendar is the latest time for the initiation of the Messianic Age.
See Eschatology: Judaism.
Science fiction set in the 23rd century
- In Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon, the Americanized World State is formed in the late 23rd century. The empire is centered around air shows and the worship of a god called Gordelpus.
- The Final Sanction by Steve Lyons, a novel based on Doctor Who featuring the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe (set in the year 2204).
- O Presidente Negro by Monteiro Lobato is set in 2228.
- The Witches of Chiswick, by Robert Rankin, is set in the 19th & 23rd centuries. The hero, William Starling, works in a dystopian future where religion is owned by food giants like Tesco and the population is obese.
- The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman (in part)
- Pennterra, a novel by Judith Moffett.
- Satellite Night trilogy, by Nick Pollotta.
- Sundiver, a novel by David Brin.
- Methuselah's Children, a novel by Robert A. Heinlein, begins in the 22nd century and terminates in the 23rd century.
- Friday, a novel by Robert A. Heinlein, probably happens in the 23rd century.
- Hip Flask, a series of graphic novels published by Image Comics.
- Alliance-Union universe, backdrop for a series of novels by C. J. Cherryh extending into the 24th century.
- Blue Mars of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. The books ends in the first years of the 23rd century.
- Deucalion by Brian Caswell.
- Dead Space: Martyr by B. K. Evenson. The book takes places in 2214.
- Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D by Andre Norton
Television and film
The majority of Star Trek and the first six movies as well as the eleventh and twelfth movies are set in the 23rd century. Dates were calculated from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Neutral Zone", which provided an exact calendar year for the first time.
- Montgomery Scott, born 2222.
- Leonard McCoy, born 2227.
- Spock, born 2230.
- James T. Kirk, born on March 22, 2233.
- Hikaru Sulu, born 2237.
- Nyota Uhura, born 2239.
- Pavel Chekov, born 2245.
- USS Enterprise is launched in 2245.
- Star Trek (alternate timeline – opening 2233, parts early 2240s, 2249, 2255, primary plotline 2258)
- Star Trek Into Darkness (alternate timeline – 2259, closing 2260)
- Star Trek: The Original Series (pilots 2254 and 2265, series 2266–2269)
- Star Trek: The Animated Series (2269–2270)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (2273)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (2285)
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (2285)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (2286)
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (2287)
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (2293)
- (In Part) Star Trek Generations (2293)
Space Battleship Yamato
- 2201: Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato, anime film.
- 2201: Space Battleship Yamato II, anime series.
- 2201: Yamato: The New Voyage, anime film.
- 2202: Be Forever Yamato, anime film.
- 2203 or 2205: Space Battleship Yamato III, anime series.
- 2203: Final Yamato, anime film.
- 2220: Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection, anime film.
Other television and film
- Per Aspera Ad Astra
- Starship Troopers is placed in the 23rd century, as said by Paul Verhoeven in the director's commentary.
- Futurama backstory: Doctor Zoidberg's race, the Decapodians, first arrived on Earth, later causing the extinction of the anchovy.
- Many of the adult characters from Mobile Suit Gundam 00 were born in the 23rd century.
- Starhunter, the events take place across the latter half of the 23rd century, the 1st season in 2276–2286 and the 2nd season in 2300.
- Red Dwarf, parts of the series may be set in the 23rd century, evidenced by Lister stating that he is "an enlightened 23rd century guy." However, other episodes imply Lister is from the 21st century or 22nd century, and most of the series is set about 3 million years later.
- 2201: F-Zero: GP Legend, a video game and television series.
- 2204: home time of the Futurians in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
- 2205: Bicentennial Man: Andrew Martin dies only hours shy of his 200th birthday.
- 2207: Mutant Chronicles
- 2208: Futurama' backstory: Scientists increased the speed of light in 2208.
- 2222: Quark
- 2222: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series episode "Terminator Tomato from Tomorrow" takes place in the year 2222, where humanity has been enslaved by robots resembling giant tomatoes.
- 2223: G-Saviour
- 2225: most of Infinite Ryvius
- 2251: Skyland, a television series on Nicktoons Network.
- 2257: Forbidden Planet
- 2258–2262: Babylon 5
- 2263: The Fifth Element. The full date is seen in the post-it-like clock, when the protagonist presses it to stop its beeping.
- 2264: Lily C.A.T.
- 2265: Galaxy Turnpike
- 2267, 2270: Cargo
- 2270: The supposed year in which Will Robinson, Dr. Smith and the Robot slept until in the "Flight Into the Future" episode of Lost in Space. It turned out to be an illusion caused by an alien creature.
- 2274: Logan's Run
- 2293: Zardoz
- The Stones of Venice, an audio drama based on Doctor Who featuring the Eighth Doctor and Charley Pollard.
- In the music video for Will Smith's song "Will 2K" from his album Willennium, one of the years he goes to is 2222.
- Quake 4 is set in the year 2245, as stated in the USS Hannibal's terminals.
- Wipeout Pulse takes place in the year 2207.
- StarQuest Online is set around 2216.
- In the StarCraft series, the United Powers League is said to be founded on Earth on November 22, 2229.
- Aliens versus Predator 2, a computer game, is set between November 23, 2230 and January 7, 2231. The introduction of the Predator campaign takes place on July 3, 2211.
- Escape Velocity is set in 2246.
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel takes place around 2208, although this entry in the series is considered non-canon.
- Fallout 2, set 80 years after the original Fallout, begins in 2241.
- Van Buren, the original, cancelled "Fallout 3", was to take place in 2253.
- Fallout 3 begins with the birth of the player character in 2258; the events of the main game begin in 2277.
- Fallout: New Vegas takes place in 2281, four years after Fallout 3.
- Fallout 4 mainly takes place in 2287, ten years after Fallout 3, however the prologue takes place in 2077.
- Unreal II: The Awakening is set around 2251.
- Unreal (series) The New Earth Government legalizes no holds-barred fighting 2291.
- Independence War (aka I-War), a large-scale spacecraft game is set in 2268.
- Freelancer 's introduction takes place in the 23rd century.
- Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords, the sandbox version of the game starts in 2225 and the campaign for the most part in the late 2220s.
- Malice takes place in the 23rd century.
- The Longest Journey takes place in 2209, and its sequel Dreamfall in 2219.
- Ogame is based around 2250.
- Lego Rock Raiders takes place in 2200.
- The TimeSplitters 2 level "Return to Planet X" is set in 2280
- Colony A flash game by Krin
- Halo, Invention of the SF Translight Engine happens in the 23rd century
- Doctor Who: The Adventure Games, Episode 4:Shadows of the Vashta Nerada, set in an underwater city(Posidon 8) in the 23rd century
- Permanent bans by tribunal in League of Legends will be lifted on December 8, 2285
Arcade and console games
- RayStorm, also known as Layer Section 2, takes place in the 23rd century, including a stage on August 5, 2219 among others.
- In Einhänder the Earth and Moon are at war, the events of the game transpiring sometime in 2245.
- X-Multiply Takes place in 2249.
- Chrono Trigger, one of the time periods of this game is set in the year 2300, where the Earth is a post-apocalyptic, barren wasteland.
- Mega Man X: Command Mission takes place sometime after 2202, officially in 22XX.
- Megaman Starforce takes place in the year 220X.
- Mega Man Star Force 2 takes place in the year 220X.
- Mega Man Star Force 3 takes place in the year 220X.
- Silver the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat from the Sonic the Hedgehog series live approximately 200 years in the future. (Around about 2206)
- Wipeout Pulse takes place in 2207.
- New York Race a game based on The Fifth Element (1997) is set in 2215, 48 years prior to the fifth element which is set in 2263.
- In Star Trek: Tactical Assault, the Starfleet campaign is set in 2284.
- Phalanx, a SNES game, takes place in 2279.
- In the Halo universe, humans invent the slipspace drive in 2291.
- TimeSplitters: Future Perfect levels The Machine Wars and Something to Crow About take place in 2243.
- The TimeSplitters 2 level 'Return to Planet X' is set in the year 2280.
- The Turok Reboot takes place in or about 2208, 200 years after the game's release in 2008.
- The 2010 Aliens vs. Predator video game is set in the year 2209.
- Risk 2210 A.D. is a variant of the board game Risk that takes place in the year 2210.
- The Game Designers Workshop role playing game 2300 AD's significant background events occurred in the 23rd century.
Centuries and millennia
- "Solar eclipse of July 27, 2204". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of August 8, 2222". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of August 18, 2240". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of May 7, 2255". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of August 29, 2258". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of May 17, 2273". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Solar eclipse of May 28, 2291". Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- Dr. Lance A. M. Benner (May 28, 2013). "(285263) 1998 QE2 Goldstone Radar Observations Planning". NASA/JPL Asteroid Radar Research. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. World Population to 2300. 2004. Executive Summary, Page 2.
- Mills, Elinor (2005-10-10). "Google reveals its 300-year plan". CNET News.com.[dead link]
- O'Carol, Eoin. 2010-02-05. "Centralia, Pa.: How an underground coal fire erased a town" Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- "Dates of Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday". navy.mil.
- Bromberg, Irv. "The Rectified Hebrew Calendar.". Archived from the original on 28 November 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- See, for example, Lemesurier, P., The Unknown Nostradamus (O Books, 2003).
- "Crunchyroll Adds Lily C.A.T. Video Anime to Catalog". Anime News Network. October 31, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "This account has been suspended until 08 December, 2285 – League of Legends Community". Euw.leagueoflegends.com. Retrieved 2014-03-12.