|Location||In Speyside whisky region at the confluence of the rivers Lour and Spey near Ben Rinnes, Moray.|
|Owner||Chivas Brothers Ltd. (Pernod Ricard S.A., since 1974)|
|No. of stills|
The whisky comes in a variety of ages, including a 10, 12, 15, 16, 18 and a rare 30-year-old 1970 vintage malt, as well as a cask strength release, A'bunadh, with no age statement. Most of the variants are aged in American ex-bourbon casks, a standard for many single malts. Aberlour also releases a range of malts that, after aging in bourbon casks, are finished in casks previously used to mature varieties of fortified wines or sherries, a method applied to appeal particularly to the French market.
Aberlour whiskies have had some success at spirit ratings competitions, including the following awards at the San Francisco World Spirits Competitions.
- 10-year: Double gold medal, prior to 2004.
- 12-year: Gold medal, 2007; Silver medal, 2011.
- 15-year: Double gold medal, prior to 2004.
- 16-year: Double gold medal, 2007; Silver medal, 2009; Double gold medal, 2011.
- 18-year: Double gold medal, 2011.
- A'bunadh: Silver medals, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2011.
James Fleming, son of a local tenant farmer built Aberlour Distillery in 1879 after having worked at Dailuiane, Carron for ten years. Producing whisky from 1880 onwards until his death at the age of 65 in 1895. Fleming is buried opposite the distillery in the village cemetery. Robert Thorne & Sons bought the distillery and ran it until 1921. In 1921, Robert Thorne & Sons Ltd. sold the distillery to W. H. Holt & Sons, a brewery near Manchester. In 1945 S. Campbell & Sons Ltd. bought the distillery. In 1975 Pernod Ricard acquired Campbell Distilleries, and they joined with Chivas Brothers in 2001 forming a portfolio of 14 single malt distilleries and 1 grain distillery in Scotland, and 2 gin distilleries in England. In 2002, a new, modernized visitor centre was opened.
- Malt Whisky Yearbook, 2017 Edition
- Aberlour on whisky.com
- "Classic Malts Selection: Ask the Expert". www.malts.com. Classic Malts Selection. 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Aberlour 10yr Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky at Proof66.com
- Aberlour 12yr Double Cask Matured Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky at Proof66.com
- Aberlour 15yr Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky at Proof66.com
- Aberlour 16yr Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky at Proof66.com
- Aberlour 18 Year Old Single Malt Scotch at Proof66.com
- Aberlour A'bunadh Non Chill-Filtered Single Speyside Malt Scotch Whisky, Batch No. 21 at Proof66.com
- Helen Arthur (2002) . The single malt companion (in Dutch). Translated by Lisbeth Machielsen. Libero. p. 179. ISBN 90-5764-236-0.
- Aberlour at Master of Malt web site