The Alderley Hotel
|• Density||2,370/km2 (6,130/sq mi)|
|Area||2.4 km2 (0.9 sq mi)|
|Location||7 km (4 mi) from Brisbane CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
Alderley is 7 kilometres (4 mi) north-west of the Brisbane CBD. It is surrounded by Newmarket in the south, Ashgrove and Enoggera in the west, Grange and Stafford in the east and Kedron and Everton Park in the north. At the 2006 census, it had a population of 5,068.
Alderley has several warehouses, a police station and a community-based shopping complex that is anchored by one of only two remaining Bi-Lo supermarkets in Brisbane's northern suburbs (the other one is located in Toombul).
In the 2011 Census the population of Alderley is 5,679, 51.1% female and 48.9% male. The median/average age of the Alderley population is 33 years of age, 4 years below the Australian average. 78.5% of people living in Alderley were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 3.1%, New Zealand 2.7%, India 1.1%, Nepal 0.9%, South Africa 0.6%. 88.4% of people speak English as their first language 1% Nepali, 0.8% Italian, 0.7% Spanish, 0.6% Korean, 0.5% Cantonese.
In prehistory, the area was inhabited by the Turrbal Aboriginal clan. Corroborees were held at Sedgeley Park estate. The name Alderley derives from Alderley Edge in Cheshire, England. Alderley is an older suburb, having had a post office since 1878 and a railway station since 1899. Trams operated by the Brisbane City Council ran to the suburb between 1949 and 1968.
Alderley has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 16 Quarry Road: Strathearn
- 39 David Street: Farrington House
- 117 Mina Parade: Newmarket Brickworks Chimney
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Alderley". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Alderley (entry 44135)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Strathearn (entry 602064)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Farrington House (entry 600046)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Newmarket Brickworks Chimney (entry 601357)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alderley, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Alderley
- "Alderley". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008.
- "Alderley". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 6 March 2008.
- Alderley Theatre This image is held by the State Library of Queensland image number 20340
|This article about a place in Brisbane is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|