Location of Smith Island in the South Shetland Islands
|Archipelago||South Shetland Islands|
|Area||5.28 ha (13.0 acres)|
|Length||0.38 km (0.236 mi)|
|Width||0.16 km (0.099 mi)|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Barlow Island is a small ice-free island off the north coast of Smith Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica extending 380 by 160 m (420 by 170 yd), surface area 5.28 hectares (13 acres).
The feature's name, presumably honouring the British physicist and mathematician Peter Barlow (1776–1862), derives from the name 'Cape Barlow' originally applied in 1829 by the British naval expedition under Captain Henry Foster to some point on the east side of Smith Island.
The island is located at Cape Smith, 2.42 km (1.50 mi) north-northeast of Matochina Peak, 2.48 km (1.54 mi) northeast of Delyan Point and 11.33 km (7.04 mi) northeast of Gregory Point (British mapping in 1957, Chilean in 1962, Argentine in 1991, and Bulgarian in 2009).which is 2.14 km (1.33 mi) west-northwest of
- Chart of South Shetland including Coronation Island, &c. from the exploration of the sloop Dove in the years 1821 and 1822 by George Powell Commander of the same. Scale ca. 1:200000. London: Laurie, 1822.
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2010. ISBN 978-954-92032-9-5 (First edition 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4)
- South Shetland Islands: Smith and Low Islands. Scale 1:150000 topographic map No. 13677. British Antarctic Survey, 2009.
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD). Scale 1:250000 topographic map of Antarctica. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR). Since 1993, regularly upgraded and updated.
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Smith Island. Scale 1:100000 topographic map. Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2017. ISBN 978-619-90008-3-0
- Composite Antarctic Gazetteer
- List of Antarctic islands south of 60° S
- Territorial claims in Antarctica
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Archived April 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4
|This Smith Island (South Shetland Islands) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|