Nelson Island (South Shetland Islands)
Map indicating Nelson Island (Isla Nelson) in the South Shetland Islands GMT map modificated Language: spanish
Location in Antarctica
|Length||22 km (13.7 mi)|
|Width||13 km (8.1 mi)|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Nelson Island (historical names Leipzig Island, O'Cain's Island and Strachans Island) is an island 22 kilometres (12 nmi) long and 13 kilometres (7 nmi) wide, lying southwest of King George Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. The name Nelson Island dates back to at least 1821 and is now established in international usage.
- Chart of South Shetland including Coronation Island, &c. from the exploration of the sloop Dove in the years 1821 and 1822 by George Powell Commander of the same. Scale ca. 1:200000. London: Laurie, 1822.
- Composite Antarctic Gazetteer
- List of Antarctic and sub-Antarctic islands
- List of Antarctic islands south of 60° S
- Territorial claims in Antarctica
|This Nelson Island, South Shetlands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|