|Area||20 ha (49 acres)|
|Length||700 m (2,300 ft)|
|Width||500 m (1,600 ft)|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Phanagoria Island (Bulgarian: остров Фанагория, ‘Ostrov Fanagoriya’ \'os-trov fa-na-'go-ri-ya\) is the third largest island in the Zed group off the north coast of Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. The island is ice-free, extending 700 by 500 m (770 by 550 yd) with surface area 20 hectares (49 acres). Separated from the neighbouring Esperanto Island and Lesidren Island by channels 70 and 130 m (77 and 142 yd) wide respectively. Situated 2.1 km (1.3 mi) northwest of Williams Point. The area was visited by early 19th century sealers.
Phanagoria Island is located at. British mapping in 1968, Chilean in 1971, Argentine in 1980, Bulgarian in 2005 and 2009.
- Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica
- List of Antarctic islands south of 60° S
- Territorial claims in Antarctica
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4
- Bulgarian Antarctic Gazetteer. Antarctic Place-names Commission. (details in Bulgarian, basic data in English)
This article includes information from the Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria which is used with permission.
|This Livingston Island location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|