Syringe with 200mg Certolizumab pegol
|Source||Humanized (from mouse)|
|Elimination half-life||about 11 days|
|Excretion||Renal (PEG only)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||47749.46 g·mol−1|
|(what is this?)|
Certolizumab pegol (CDP870, tradename Cimzia) is a biologic medication for the treatment of Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. It is a fragment of a monoclonal antibody specific to tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) and is manufactured by UCB.
- Crohn's Disease
- On April 22, 2008, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Cimzia for the treatment of Crohn's disease in people who did not respond sufficiently or adequately to standard therapy.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- On June 26, 2009, the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) issued a positive opinion recommending that the European Commission grant a marketing authorisation for Cimzia for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis only - the CHMP refused approval for the treatment of Crohn's disease. The marketing authorisation was granted to UCB Pharma SA on October 1, 2009.
- Psoriatic arthritis
- On September 27, 2013, the U.S. FDA approved Cimzia for the treatment of adult patients with active psoriatic arthritis.
Method of action
- Crohn's disease
- Positive results have been demonstrated in two phase III trials (PRECiSE 1 and 2) of certolizumab pegol versus placebo in moderate to severe active Crohn's disease.
- Axial spondyloarthritis
- In 2013, a phase 3 double blind randomized placebo-controlled study found significantly positive results in patient self-reported questionnaires, with rapid improvement of function and pain reduction, in patients with axial spondyloarthritis.
Significant side effects occur in 2% of people who take the medication.
- Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, Stoinov S, et al. (July 2007). "Certolizumab pegol for the treatment of Crohn's disease". N. Engl. J. Med. 357 (3): 228–38. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa067594. PMID 17634458.
- Goel, Niti; Sue Stephens (2010). "Certolizumab pegol". mAbs. 2 (2): 137–147. doi:10.4161/mabs.2.2.11271. PMC 2840232. PMID 20190560.
- Kaushik VV, Moots RJ (April 2005). "CDP-870 (certolizumab) in rheumatoid arthritis". Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy. 5 (4): 601–6. doi:10.1517/147125220.127.116.111. PMID 15934837. S2CID 21974683.
- "Drug Approval Package: Cimzia (Certolizumab Pegol) NDA #125160". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 24 December 1999. Retrieved 18 July 2020.
- "Cimzia- certolizumab pegol kit Cimzia- certolizumab pegol injection, solution". DailyMed. 24 April 2020. Retrieved 18 July 2020.
- UCB press release - Cimzia Approved in the US for the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Crohn's Disease Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved April 22, 2008.
- Waknine, Yael (May 1, 2008). "FDA Approvals: Patanase, Actonel, Cimzia". Medscape. Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- "Cimzia European Public Assessment Report". European Medicines Agency. Archived from the original on November 9, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2009.
- "Cimzia (certolizumab pegol) approved by the U.S. FDA for treatment of adult patients with active psoriatic arthritis". Archived from the original on October 1, 2013. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Schreiber S. et al., Certolizumab pegol, a humanised anti-TNF pegylated FAb' fragment, is safe and effective in the maintenance of response and remission following induction in active Crohn's disease: a phase 3 study (precise), Gut, 2005, 54, suppl7, A82
- Sandborn et al., Certolizumab pegol administered subcutaneously is effective and well tolerated in patients with active Crohn's disease: results from a 26-week, placebo-controlled Phase 3 study (PRECiSE 1), Gastroenterology, 2006, 130, A107
- "New Analysis Shows Cimzia (Certolizumab Pegol) Maintained Remission and Response in Recent Onset Crohn's Disease" (Press release). UCB. October 23, 2006. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Sieper J, Tubergen A, Coteur G, Woltering F, Landewe R (May 2013). "PMS50 – Rapid Improvements In Patient-Reported Outcomes With Certolizumab Pegol In Patients With Axial Spondyloarthritis, Including Ankylosing Spondylitis And Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: 24-Week Results Of A Phase 3 Double Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study". Value in Health. 16 (3): A227. doi:10.1016/j.jval.2013.03.1150.
- Ruiz Garcia, V; Jobanputra, P; Burls, A; Vela Casasempere, P; Bort-Marti, S; Bernal, JA (Sep 8, 2017). "Certolizumab pegol (CDP870) for rheumatoid arthritis in adults" (PDF). The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 9: CD007649. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007649.pub4. PMC 6483724. PMID 28884785.