|Operating system||iOS 12.2 or later;|
Android 7.0 or later
|Available in||English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish|
|Type||Photo and Sports|
Fishbrain is a mobile app, and online platform for anglers that provides map-based tools, social networking features, fishing forecasts, and data-backed recommendations on fishing gear. Using Fishbrain, anglers can find new spots to fish and see exact catch locations on maps, which include depth information and user-generated tips and ratings. In addition to map functionality, users can obtain fishing forecasts including weather, lunar cycles, tidal charts, and more. Fishbrain also provides recommendations on when to fish based on predicted fish activity, previous user-catches, and an analysis of species behavior.
In 2019 Fishbrain added a marketplace where anglers can buy fishing gear. This marketplace is offered online and in-app and features gear recommendations based on real-world catch data. This allows anglers to see which gear is best for catching specific species, or for specific fishing tactics.
Due to the platform’s user base of over 11 million users, Fishbrain has access to a variety of data on species, migratory patterns, and more. Fishbrain works with governmental agencies to help identify endangered fish species, how climate is impacting behavioral patterns and more. The company promotes sustainable fishing through promoting a catch-and-release approach, as well as encouraging users to clean up and care for their local waterways.
Fishbrain was created by Jens Persson and Johan Attby, and launched in 2010 as a free mobile app. and has expanded to include utility functions for recreational fishing with some of its features available with a subscription. The Fishbrain app can be downloaded from the App Store, as well as Google Play and is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
- "Fishbrain for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store". Itunes.apple.com. 2015-05-07. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- "Fishbrain has supply partners in mind as it unveils shop". Tackle Trade. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- "Users are flocking to social plus networks like Fishbrain". ZDNet. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- "U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service backs app to protect at-risk species". fortune.com. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "8 Million Anglers Called on to Collect Data and Trash From US Waters This Fourth of July". srwire.com. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- Beres, Damon (February 5, 2016). "'Fishbrain,' An App For Catching Fish, May Save Endangered Species". The Huffington Post. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Lomas, Natasha (July 8, 2014). "FishBrain, A Social Network For Anglers, Nets $2.4M". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 8, 2014.