March 27, 1997
|Total views||266.5 million|
Updated: May 5, 2021
|Korean stage name|
Lalisa Manoban (Thai: ลลิษา มโนบาล; born Pranpriya Manoban (Thai: ปราณปรียา มโนบาล); March 27, 1997), better known by the mononym Lisa (Hangul: 리사), is a Thai rapper, singer, and dancer based in South Korea. She is a member of the South Korean girl group Blackpink under YG Entertainment.
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Born as Pranpriya Manoban on March 27, 1997 in Buriram Province, Thailand, she later legally changed her name to Lalisa, meaning praised, on the advice of a fortune teller in order to bring in prosperity. As an only child, she was raised by her Thai mother and Swiss stepfather. Lisa's mother is named Chitthip Brüschweiler. Her stepfather is Marco Brüschweiler, a renowned chef, currently active in Thailand. Lisa completed secondary education at Praphamontree School I and II.
After starting dance classes at the age of four, she competed regularly in dance contests throughout her childhood, including in "To Be Number One", and joined the eleven-member dance crew We Zaa Cool alongside BamBam of Got7. In September 2009, the group entered the competition LG Entertainment Million Dream Sanan World broadcast on Channel 9 and won the "Special Team" Award. Lisa also participated in a singing contest as a school representative for "Top 3 Good Morals of Thailand", hosted by the Moral Promotion Center in early 2009, where she finished as a runner-up.
In 2010, 13-year-old Lisa auditioned to join South Korean record label YG Entertainment in Thailand. From a young age, Lisa gained an interest in the K-Pop industry, namely admiring artists Big Bang and 2NE1, and wished to someday follow a similar path. Among the 4,000 applicants, she was the only individual to qualify, which prompted then CEO, Yang Hyun-suk into offering Lisa a chance to become a YG Entertainment trainee. Lisa also impressed one of the judges, Danny Im of 1TYM, at the auditions, with him later praising her on-stage confidence and her off-stage attitude.
In 2011, Lisa moved to South Korea to begin her formal training as a trainee, which lasted five years. She officially joined the label as their first non-ethnically Korean trainee on April 11, 2011. In November 2013, she appeared in Taeyang's music video for the single "Ringa Linga, where she was one of the background dancers, alongside members of iKon and Winner. In March 2015, Lisa undertook her first modelling job for street-wear brand Nona9on, following South Korean cosmetics brand Moonshot in 2016.
2016–present: Debut with Blackpink and solo ventures
In August 2016, Lisa debuted as one of four members of South Korean girl group Blackpink, as well as the first non-ethnically Korean to debut under the agency. Blackpink debuted with single album Square One with lead singles "Whistle" and "Boombayah". "Whistle" achieved a perfect "all-kill", topping all South Korean charts upon debut. As of October 2020, the group has released two studio albums, Blackpink in Your Area and The Album, three extended plays, Blackpink, Square Up and Kill This Love, and two single albums, Square One and Square Two.
Lisa was cast by the MBC military variety program Real Man 300 as a permanent member on the show as part of the Korea Army Academy edition from September 21, 2018 onward. The show marked her first permanent role on a television program since debut. Her appearance earned her an unofficial award titled "Character of the Year" through the 2018 MBC Entertainment Awards.
On November 5, 2018, she unveiled her YouTube channel, Lilifilm Official, focusing on travelling and lifestyle. As of July 2019, she had over 1.3 million subscribers, and had received a YouTube Gold Play Button.
In March 2020, Lisa served as the dance mentor throughout the iQIYI's Chinese girl group survival program Youth With You Season 2. In February 2021, she returned as the dance mentor in the Chinese boy group survival show Youth With You Season 3.
On April 19, 2021 an official from YG Entertainment revealed to South Korean media outlet The Korea Herald that Lisa would debut as the third soloist from her group and is working hard on her album with schedules later to be officially announced through a notice.
On July 25, 2019 Lisa became the brand ambassador and presenter exclusively for the new collection launched in Thailand where six of the products include Manoban's signature as part of the packaging. On March 28, 2019 Lisa signed her first solo endorsement deal for AIS Thailand, the largest GSM mobile phone operator in Thailand. Lisa became the highest paid brand presenter for AIS. Furthermore, her advertising campaign became the highest rated commercial in Thailand. On May 11, 2019, Lisa became the brand presenter for the Samsung Galaxy S10 in Thailand. Her first promotional material for the brand was released on May 14. The mobile game Ragnarok M: Eternal Love uses Lisa as their endorsement model and appears as a character on their "Midnight Party" server from July 24, 2019 onward.
In January 2020, Lisa joined labelmate Winner's Mino as an endorsement model for sportswear brand Adidas's SS20 season My Shelter clothing range. Through Lisa's newfound popularity in China through her appearance on iQIYI's Youth With You 2 as a dance mentor, she was revealed to be the new brand spokesperson in China for the fabric softener company D&G Downy on May 13. She soon went on to become the new brand spokesperson for one of China's largest dairy companies, Mengniu Dairy's Chinese yoghurt brand, Zhengouli. On June 27, Tencent Games announced Lisa as Supercell's newest spokesperson in China for their mobile video game, Brawl Stars. In October 2020, Lauder-owned MAC had named Lisa as their newest global brand ambassador. She became the face of their renowned collections and key campaigns as well as muse for innovation projects. "Always confident and never one to shy away from risks, she embodies our commitment to celebrating individuality and self-expression above all else," explained Senior Vice President and Global Creative Director, Drew Elliott. "We can't wait for her fans to see what she has in store for them through our collaboration".
Fashion and photography
In January 2019, Lisa became the muse of Hedi Slimane, the artistic, creative and image director for Celine, a French luxury brand. In September 2020, she was announced as their global ambassador. She was featured in the brand’s Essentials campaign in June 2020, shot by creative director Hedi Slimane and has been widely photographed in Celine outfits and accessories. In a statement, the brand said, “We are pleased to announce the continued collaboration of Celine with Lisa, who will represent the house as Global Ambassador”.
The same year, in November, Penshoppe revealed Lisa had joined the Penshoppe family as their newest ambassador. Furthermore, on July 24, 2020 Lisa was officially selected as the newest brand ambassador representing Bulgari, an Italian luxury brand. As an ambassador for Bulgari, she participated in the digital campaigns for the "Serpenti" and "Bzero One" collections.
Through YG Entertainment, Lisa released a limited edition photobook entitled "0327" composed entirely with self-taken photographs through a film camera. The photobook was released on her birthday in 2020. The second volume was released the following year on March 27, 2021.
On September 17, 2019, after torrential rain brought by a monsoon caused flooding across 32 Thai provinces, Thai beauty blogger Koi Onusa, a relative of Lisa, revealed that Lisa had donated ฿100,000 to Thai actor Bin Bunluerit's fund to help those evacuated in the floods as disaster relief.
Impact and influence
Lisa has often been cited as an influence to other individuals working in the same field as a musician within the South Korean music industry. Through interviews, former Nature girl group member, Gaga and Hot Issue girl group member, Mayna revealed Lisa as their role models.
In April 2019, she became the most followed K-pop idol on Instagram, with 17.4 million followers at the time. As of April 2021, she became the first and only K-pop idol to amass 50 million followers, as she continues to set engagement and follower count records on the platform.
While Lisa landed her first solo magazine cover for Harper's Bazaar Thailand's May 2019 issue, MEI, a distributor of Harper's Bazaar, reported that all 120,000 printed copies in stock were sold out. It was reported that, on average, 30,000 copies are normally printed, and well-known celebrities have an average of 60,000 copies printed. However, despite selling 120,000 copies, the public's demand was still not met.
Following Lisa's attendance at the Celine Fashion Show for Men's Spring Summer 2020 collection in Paris, France, during Paris Fashion Week, Lyst reported that global searches for Celine's Triomphe bag leapt 66% on June 28, 2019, after she published an image of the style on her social media, in result garnering attention of many among the general public.
According to the "2021 Overseas Korean Wave Survey" conducted by the organizations Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and Korea Foundation for International Cultural Exchange, Lisa was listed as one of twenty "Most Popular Korean Singers Abroad" alongside South Korean musicians G-Dragon, IU, Psy, Blackpink and more. The survey collected data throughout 18 countries worldwide including China, India, Australia, South Africa and Russia. A total of 8,500 men and women aged between 15 and 59 participated in the survey.
Lisa's announcement as MAC Cosmetics’ first female K-pop idol to be appointed as a Global Brand Ambassador generated $1.83M in MIV®,[note 1] with MAC’s announcement post generating $506K in MIV® – representing their top branded post of 2020 and making them one of the top beauty collaborations of the year. Her announcement post on Instagram as a Global Ambassador for MAC Cosmetics received more than 5.6 million likes and 74,000 comments. Her partnerships have been noted to feel genuineas she frequently features the same brands across her social media channels. The success of her endorsements and partnerships has been partially attributed to this authenticity.Because of her influencing power and marketing potential, Lisa has been used as an example of changing promotional strategies in the fashion and makeup industry.
Her impact extends to other artists in the music industry. Destiny Rogers' song "Tomboy" had a 1939% increase in streams on the daily Spotify update following a dance performance video by Lisa on her YouTube channel using it. Shortly after the performance was uploaded to Youtube, Rogers' song and EP Tomboy entered iTunes and Apple Music charts in numerous countries and, on Spotify, the song reached the Top 200 and the top 10 of the Philippines Viral 50 playlist. Rogers herself acknowledged the situation on Twitter and thanked Lisa for revitalizing the song.
|2017||Lisa TV||리사 TV||OnStyle||Cast member||3 episodes|
|2018||Real Man 300||진짜사나이 300||MBC||6 episodes|||
|2020||Youth With You 2||青春有你 2||iQIYI||Dance mentor||N/A|||
|2021||Youth With You 3||青春有你 3|||
Awards and nominations
|Award ceremony||Year||Category||Nominee(s) / work(s)||Result||Ref.|
|The Standard||2018||Person of the Year||Lisa||Won|||
|Joox Thailand Music Awards||2020||Social Superstar||Nominated|||
|Prêmio Annual K4US||Favorite News From The Hwstar||Won|||
|Thailand Master Youth Club||2021||Inspirational Role Model for Youth||Won|||
|Weibo Starlight Awards||Popular Artist of the Year||Won|||
|Starlight Hall of Fame (Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand)||Won|
- Herman, Tamar (October 22, 2018). "BLACKPINK Sign With Interscope Records & UMG in Global Partnership With YG Entertainment: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved November 23, 2018.
- "About Lilifilm Official". YouTube.
- Moon, Kat (April 4, 2019). "Everything to Know About K-Pop Group BLACKPINK". Time. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- Li, Caspar (March 27, 2019). "4 reasons why we love Lisa, BLACKPINK's youngest member". South China Morning Post. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- voomvoom (July 1, 2018). "BLACKPINK LISA Deceiving Other Members with Her Real Name???". mnews.joins.com. Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- "BLACKPINK". YG Family. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Thaitrakulpanich, Asaree (May 2, 2019). "Black Pink to Light Bangkok on Fire This Summer". Khaosod English. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "Lisa from Blackpink – Thailand-raised K-pop singer who is the group's main dancer and speaks four languages". South China Morning Post. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "เปิดชีวิต! 'ลิซ่า BlackPink' ล่าฝันสู่ซุปเปอร์สตาร์". Bangkokbiznews (in Thai). January 11, 2019. Retrieved September 29, 2019.
- "Lisa of BLACKPINK donates to help flood victims in Thailand". The Independent Singapore. September 22, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2021.
- "'LISA' YG New Girl Group : ลลิษา มโนบาล กับเรื่องราวที่เล่าโดยพี่สาวถ". hallyukstar (in Thai). July 4, 2019. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- Gadong, Katreena (August 14, 2016). "BLACKPINK Lisa Manoban and Got7 Bambam childhood friends?". YIBADA. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Kim Yu-rim (April 17, 2020). "'블랙핑크' 리사 국적은 어디?" [What is Blackpink Lisa's Nationality?]. MoneyS (in Korean). Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- Jason Pham (January 1, 2020). "BLACKPINK's 4 Members Were Discovered in Completely Different Ways". Stylecaster. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "Danny Im (1TYM) - Ep. 39". Fun With Dumb. May 22, 2019.
- "มากกว่าสวยคือความทุ่มเท "ลิซ่า BLACKPINK" มีวันนี้ได้เพราะความสามารถ". Praew (in Thai). July 4, 2019. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "8 songs BLACKPINK members appeared in before debut". SBS. August 8, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "[블랙핑크 VS 투애니원③] 블랙핑크는 누구?". Donga News. August 12, 2016. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- Kim Yu-young (August 9, 2016). "YG Entertainment unveils K-pop group BLACKPINK". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "[뮤직톡톡] 마성의 '휘파람'…블랙핑크, 전 음원차트 1위 탈환". Osen. August 14, 2016. Retrieved July 4, 2019.
- "[시청자가 찜한 TV] 돌아온 '진사'·'알쓸신잡' 역시 화제". Yonhap News (in Korean). September 28, 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "[2018 MBC 방송연예대상] 연구원이 뽑아본 올해의 캐릭터!". Naver (in Korean). December 27, 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "'유튜버'로 깜짝 변신한 블랙핑크 리사가 올린 첫번째 영상". Insight (in Korean). November 6, 2018. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "[SBS Star] BLACKPINK LISA Receives the 'Gold Play Button' with Only 4 Videos". SBS News. July 2, 2019. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 中판 프듀 '청춘유니' 시즌2 새 멘토 출연 확정 [Oh! 차이나]". Osen (in Korean). October 15, 2019. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 中 오디션 프로그램 '청춘유니3' 멘토 확정". DongA (in Kanuri). January 8, 2021. Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- "[Exclusive] Blackpink Lisa's solo debut expected in June". The Korea Herald. December 11, 2020. Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- "블랙핑크(BLACKPINK) 리사, 문샷 모델로 중국 대륙 홀린다…글로벌 K뷰티 부활 신호탄". Topstarnews (in Korean). March 21, 2018. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "สิ้นสุดการรอคอย ! Moonshot เผยแคมเปญโฆษณาสุดเปรี้ยว LISA'S PICK SPECIAL EDITION บลิ้งค์ทุกคนรอลุ้น meet & greet กับเธอได้เลย !". Harpersbazaar (in Thai). July 26, 2019. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "AIS คว้า "ลิซ่า BlackPink" พรีเซ็นเตอร์คนล่าสุด หวังกวาดตลาดสาวก Blinks ทั่วไทย". positioningmag.com (in Thai). March 28, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "Samsung คว้า "ลิซ่า BlackPink" เป็นพรีเซนเตอร์ Galaxy S10 ไทย หวังสู้ศึกแบรนด์จีน". positioningmag.com (in Thai). May 11, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "BLACKPINK's Lisa to star in Ragnarok M". Kstreet Manila. July 20, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- "위너 송민호X블랙핑크 리사, 감각적인 트렌디 케미..커플 촬영도 완벽[화보]". Heraldpop (in Korean). January 27, 2020. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "지드래곤 이어 블랙핑크 리사도 中브랜드 모델 기용". YNA (in Korean). May 13, 2020. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "舞蹈、身材屡屡出圈，歌谣、时尚界宠儿，这次她的影响力拓展到…了？". chuansongme. June 27, 2020. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "Blackpink's Lisa Stars In MAC's Holiday Makeup Campaign". Refinery29. November 2, 2020. Retrieved January 29, 2021.
- "First look: Blackpink's Lisa Manoban is MAC Cosmetics' new global brand ambassador". Vogue. October 19, 2020. Retrieved January 29, 2021.
- "FOR THE LOVE OF LISA!". MAC Cosmetics. October 19, 2020. Retrieved January 29, 2021.
- Vaughn, Nica (February 22, 2021). "BLACKPINK Lisa is the Official Vivo S9 Endorser + Idol's YouTube Channel Projected to Surpass 6 Million Subscribers Soon". KpopStarz. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Tortoza, Emman (August 5, 2020). "Blackpink's Lisa Manoban is the Endorser for the New vivo S7". Gadget Pilipinas. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Aref Omar (January 18, 2019). "BlackPink's Lisa is Muse for Hedi Slimane's Céline campaign!". nst.com.my. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "K-pop star Lisa of Blackpink named global ambassador for fashion brand Celine". CNA Lifestyle. September 22, 2020. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "BLACKPINK's Lisa is now an ambassador of this local brand". preen.ph. November 6, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 불가리 브랜드 앰버서더 발탁". Star MK (in Korean). July 24, 2020. Retrieved July 24, 2020.
- Socha, Miles (February 16, 2021). "Blackpink's Lisa Is on the Jury for ANDAM Fashion Prize: Exclusive". WWD. Retrieved February 21, 2021.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 오늘(27일) 생일 맞이 한정판 포토북 출시..온라인 이미 매진". Osen (in Korean). March 27, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Lee, Eachen (March 17, 2021). "Blackpink最美攝影師Lisa再推攝影集！沒搶到《0327》的Blink這次必須預購！". harpersbazaar.com.tw (in Chinese). Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- Asaree Thaitrakulpanich (September 17, 2019). "Lisa Blackpink Donates 100K Baht To Flood Victims". Khaosodenglish. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Myeong Hee-suk (August 13, 2018). ""트와이스→현아" 네이처가 꼽은 8인 롤모델 [MD인터뷰②]". MyDaily (in Korean). Retrieved June 13, 2020.
- Kim Won-hee (April 28, 2021). "핫이슈 "하니·씨엘·블랙핑크·아이유·제시 롤모델"" [Trending "do-Ciel, Black, Pink, IU, suggested a role model."]. Sports Khan (in Korean). Retrieved April 28, 2021.
- Pakkee Tan (April 15, 2019). "BLACKPINK's Lisa is Now Officially the Most Followed K-Pop Idol on Instagram". E! News. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Kevin Miller (April 10, 2021). "Lalisa Manoban Is The First K-pop Idol To Reach 50 Million Followers On Instagram". Retrieved April 10, 2021.
- Pakkee Tan (April 22, 2019). "Lisa Looks Gorgeous on Her First Solo Magazine Cover in Thailand". E! News. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Kong Dudeplace (May 5, 2019). "ยอดจองซื้อ Harper's BAZAAR ฉบับปก ลิซ่า BlackPink ทุบสถิติใหม่ พิมพ์ 120,000 เล่มก็ยังไม่พอ". Dudeplace (in Thai). Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Are K-Pop Stars the World's Biggest 'Influencers'?". The Wall Street Journal. July 15, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- "2021 해외한류실태조사". Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (in Korean). January 28, 2021. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "#BBMoment: The Top Beauty Collaborations of 2020". Launchmetrics. January 6, 2021. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- @lalalalisa_m (November 4, 2020). "#AD I am over the moon to share that I am the newest Global Brand Ambassador for @maccosmetics! I'll be POPPING off with @maccosmetics this holiday season💥💜. #MACLOVESLISA #MACFrostedFirework #MACambassador". Retrieved January 30, 2020 – via Instagram.
- "The Long View by Vogue Business: Fashion's new outliers". Vogue Business. December 11, 2020. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "Đẳng cấp Lisa: Hiệu ứng từ MV dance giúp bài nhạc nền tăng 1939% lượt stream, đến chính chủ cũng choáng váng" (in Vietnamese). February 15, 2021. Retrieved March 16, 2021.
- @destinyrogers (February 13, 2021). "this is amazing 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺" (Tweet). Archived from the original on April 4, 2021 – via Twitter.
- @destinyrogers (March 19, 2021). "finally got to personally thank #LISA for this new tomboy wave and even sent her the remix last week 🤪🤪 #TOMBOY FT. @coi_leray OUT NOW!!!! LETS RUN IT UP 🔥" (Tweet). Archived from the original on April 4, 2021 – via Twitter.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 中 서바이벌 '청춘유니' 시즌3 멘토 출연 확정(공식)". Newsen (in Korean). January 7, 2021. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "ทีมถ้ำหลวง-ลิซ่า คว้ารางวัล THE STANDARD PERSON OF THE YEAR 2018 คนไทยผู้สร้างปรากฏการณ์แห่งปี". The Standard. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "อเล็กซ์ เรนเดลล์ – ลิซ่า BLACKPINK คว้ารางวัล THE STANDARD Person of the Year 2019". The Standard. December 19, 2019. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- "Sanook x JOOX Thailand Music Awards 2020". Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- "#PAK2020 - Programa de Encerramento". December 20, 2020. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- "เคียงข้างลิซ่า-แบมแบม 3 นักกีฬาไทย มีชื่อรับรางวัลเยาวชนต้นแบบ สร้างแรงบันดาลใจ". Thai Rath (in Thai). March 15, 2021. Retrieved April 4, 2021.
- "微博星耀盛典". Weibo (in Chinese). May 20, 2021. Retrieved May 20, 2021.
- Media Impact Value is a proprietary algorithm developed by Launchmetrics to measure the impact of placements and mentions across different voices in the Fashion, Luxury, and Cosmetics (FLC) industry.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lisa (Thai singer).|