Lisa at a fansigning event in August 2018
March 27, 1997
Lalisa Manoban (Thai: ลลิษา มโนบาล; born Pranpriya Manoban (Thai: ปราณปรียา มโนบาล) on March 27, 1997), better known by the mononym Lisa (Hangul: 리사), is a Thai rapper, singer and dancer based in South Korea as a member of the South Korean girl group Blackpink under YG Entertainment.
Born as Pranpriya Manoban on March 27, 1997 in Buriram Province, Thailand, she later legally changed her name to Lalisa. She is the only child of her Thai mother and Swiss step-father. Lisa completed her secondary education at Praphamontree School I and II. From a young age, Lisa gained an interest in the South Korean pop industry, namely admiring artists Big Bang and 2NE1, hence wishing to someday follow down a similar path.
First taking dance classes at age 4, she competed in many dance contests throughout her childhood including "To Be Number One" and was a member of the dance crew We Zaa Cool, consisting of eleven members including BamBam of Got7. In September 2009, they entered the competition LG Entertainment Million Dream Sanan World broadcast on Channel 9, and won the "Special Team" Award. She also participated in a singing contest as a school representative for "Top 3 Good Morals of Thailand" hosted by the Moral Promotion Center in early 2009. Lisa finished as a runner-up. In 2010, Lisa auditioned to join YG Entertainment in Thailand. Among the 4,000 applicants, she was the only individual to pass. She officially joined the label as their first foreign trainee on April 11, 2011. In March 2015, Lisa undertook her first modelling job for street-wear brand Nona9on, following South Korean cosmetics brand Moonshot in 2016.
2016–present: Debut with Blackpink and solo endeavours
In August 2016, Lisa debuted as one of four members of South Korean girl group Blackpink, as well as the first non-Korean to debut under the agency. Blackpink debuted with single album Square One with lead singles "Whistle" and "Boombayah". "Whistle" achieved a perfect "all-kill", topping all South Korean charts upon debut. As of July 2019, the group has released one Japanese studio album, Blackpink in Your Area, three extended plays, Blackpink, Square Up and Kill This Love, and two single albums, Square One and Square Two.
Lisa was cast by the MBC military variety program Real Man 300 as a permanent member on the show as part of the Korea Army Academy edition from September 21, 2018 onward. The show marked her first permanent role on a television program since debut. Her appearance earned her an unofficial award titled "Character of the Year" through the 2018 MBC Entertainment Awards. On November 5, 2018, she unveiled her YouTube channel, Lilifilm Official, which focuses on Travelling and Lifestyle. As of July 2019 she had over 1.3 million subscribers, and had received a YouTube Gold Play Button. On October 15, 2019, Lisa was announced to join the third installment of iQiyi's Chinese survival program Idol Producer as the dance mentor.
On July 25, 2019 Lisa became the brand ambassador and presenter exclusively for the new collection launched in Thailand where six of the products include Manoban's signature as part of the packaging. On March 28, 2019 Lisa signed her first solo endorsement deal for AIS Thailand, the largest GSM mobile phone operator in Thailand. Lisa became the highest paid brand presenter for AIS. Furthermore, her advertising campaign became the highest rated commercial in Thailand. On May 11, 2019, Lisa became the brand presenter for the Samsung Galaxy S10 in Thailand. Her first promotional material for the brand was released on May 14. The mobile game Ragnarok M: Eternal Love uses Lisa as their endorsement model and appears as a character on their "Midnight Party" server from July 24, 2019 onward.
In January 2020, Lisa joined labelmate Winner's Mino as an endorsement model for sportswear brand Adidas's SS20 season My Shelter clothing range. Through Lisa's newfound popularity in China through her appearance on iQiyi's Youth With You 2 as a dance mentor, she was revealed to be the new brand spokesperson in China for the fabric softener company D&G Downy on May 13. Later that month, she soon went on to becoming the new brand spokesperson for one of China's largest dairy company, Mengniu Dairy's Chinese yoghurt brand, Zhengouli. On June 27, Tencent Games announced Lisa as Supercell's newest spokesperson in China for their mobile video game, Brawl Stars.
Fashion and photography
In January 2019, Lisa became the muse of Hedi Slimane, the artistic, creative and image director for Celine, a French luxury brand. The same year, in November, Penshoppe revealed Lisa had joined the Penshoppe family as their newest ambassador.
Through YG Entertainment, Lisa released a limited edition photobook titled "0327" composed entirely with self-taken photographs through a film camera. The photobook was released on her birthday, March 27, 2020.
On September 17, 2019, after torrential rain brought by a monsoon caused flooding across 32 Thai provinces, Thai beauty blogger Koi Onusa, a relative of Lisa, revealed that Lisa had donated ฿100,000 to Thai actor Bin Bunluerit's fund to help those evacuated in the floods as disaster relief.
Impact and influence
While Lisa landed her first solo magazine cover for Harper's Bazaar Thailand's May 2019 issue, MEI, a distributor of Harper's Bazaar, reported that all 120,000 printed copies in stock were sold out. It was reported that, on average, 30,000 copies are normally printed, and well-known celebrities have an average of 60,000 copies printed. However, despite selling 120,000 copies, the public's demand was still not met.
Following Lisa's attendance at the Celine Fashion Show for Men's Spring Summer 2020 collection in Paris, France, during Paris Fashion Week, Lyst reported that global searches for Celine's Triomphe bag leapt 66% on June 28, 2019, after she published an image of the style on her social media, thus garnering attention among the public.
|2017||Lisa TV||OnStyle||Cast member||3 episodes|
|2018||Real Man 300||MBC||6 episodes|
|2020||Idol Producer (season 3)||iQiyi||Mentor||12 episodes|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award ceremony||Category||Nominated work||Result||Ref.|
|2018||The Standard||Person of the Year||Herself||Won|||
|2020||Sanook X Joox Thailand Music Awards||Social Superstar||Pending|||
- Herman, Tamar (October 22, 2018). "BLACKPINK Sign With Interscope Records & UMG in Global Partnership With YG Entertainment: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved November 23, 2018.
- "BLACKPINK". YG Family. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Caspar Li (March 27, 2019). "4 reasons why we love Lisa, BLACKPINK's youngest member". South China Morning Post. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Thaitrakulpanich, Asaree (May 2, 2019). "Black Pink to Light Bangkok on Fire This Summer". Khaosod English. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "Lisa from Blackpink – Thailand-raised K-pop singer who is the group's main dancer and speaks four languages". South China Morning Post. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "เปิดชีวิต! 'ลิซ่า BlackPink' ล่าฝันสู่ซุปเปอร์สตาร์". Bangkokbiznews (in Thai). January 11, 2019. Retrieved September 29, 2019.
- "'LISA' YG New Girl Group : ลลิษา มโนบาล กับเรื่องราวที่เล่าโดยพี่สาวถ". hallyukstar (in Thai). July 4, 2019. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- Gadong, Katreena (August 14, 2016). "BLACKPINK Lisa Manoban and Got7 Bambam childhood friends?". YIBADA. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "มากกว่าสวยคือความทุ่มเท "ลิซ่า BLACKPINK" มีวันนี้ได้เพราะความสามารถ". Praew (in Thai). July 4, 2019. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "[블랙핑크 VS 투애니원③] 블랙핑크는 누구?". Donga News. August 12, 2016. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- Kim Yu-young (August 9, 2016). "YG Entertainment unveils K-pop group BLACKPINK". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "[뮤직톡톡] 마성의 '휘파람'…블랙핑크, 전 음원차트 1위 탈환". Osen. August 14, 2016. Retrieved July 4, 2019.
- "[시청자가 찜한 TV] 돌아온 '진사'·'알쓸신잡' 역시 화제". Yonhap News (in Korean). September 28, 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "[2018 MBC 방송연예대상] 연구원이 뽑아본 올해의 캐릭터!". Naver (in Korean). December 27, 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "'유튜버'로 깜짝 변신한 블랙핑크 리사가 올린 첫번째 영상". Insight (in Korean). November 6, 2018. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "[SBS Star] BLACKPINK LISA Receives the 'Gold Play Button' with Only 4 Videos". SBS News. July 2, 2019. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 中판 프듀 '청춘유니' 시즌2 새 멘토 출연 확정 [Oh! 차이나]". Osen (in Korean). October 15, 2019. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- Moon, Kat (April 4, 2019). "Everything to Know About K-Pop Group BLACKPINK". Time. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- "블랙핑크(BLACKPINK) 리사, 문샷 모델로 중국 대륙 홀린다…글로벌 K뷰티 부활 신호탄". Topstarnews (in Korean). March 21, 2018. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "สิ้นสุดการรอคอย ! Moonshot เผยแคมเปญโฆษณาสุดเปรี้ยว LISA'S PICK SPECIAL EDITION บลิ้งค์ทุกคนรอลุ้น meet & greet กับเธอได้เลย !". Harpersbazaar (in Thai). July 26, 2019. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "AIS คว้า "ลิซ่า BlackPink" พรีเซ็นเตอร์คนล่าสุด หวังกวาดตลาดสาวก Blinks ทั่วไทย". positioningmag.com (in Thai). March 28, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "Samsung คว้า "ลิซ่า BlackPink" เป็นพรีเซนเตอร์ Galaxy S10 ไทย หวังสู้ศึกแบรนด์จีน". positioningmag.com (in Thai). May 11, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "BLACKPINK's Lisa to star in Ragnarok M". Kstreet Manila. July 20, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- "위너 송민호X블랙핑크 리사, 감각적인 트렌디 케미..커플 촬영도 완벽[화보]". Heraldpop (in Korean). January 27, 2020. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "지드래곤 이어 블랙핑크 리사도 中브랜드 모델 기용". YNA (in Korean). May 13, 2020. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "舞蹈、身材屡屡出圈，歌谣、时尚界宠儿，这次她的影响力拓展到…了？". chuansongme. June 27, 2020. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- Aref Omar (January 18, 2019). "BlackPink's Lisa is Muse for Hedi Slimane's Céline campaign!". nst.com.my. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "BLACKPINK's Lisa is now an ambassador of this local brand". preen.ph. November 6, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 리사, 오늘(27일) 생일 맞이 한정판 포토북 출시..온라인 이미 매진". Osen (in Korean). March 27, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Asaree Thaitrakulpanich (September 17, 2019). "Lisa Blackpink Donates 100K Baht To Flood Victims". Khaosodenglish. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Emma Kelly (September 18, 2019). "BLACKPINK's Lisa donates money to help flood victims in Thailand". Metro. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Pakkee Tan (April 15, 2019). "BLACKPINK's Lisa is Now Officially the Most Followed K-Pop Idol on Instagram". E! News. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Pakkee Tan (April 22, 2019). "Lisa Looks Gorgeous on Her First Solo Magazine Cover in Thailand". E! News. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Kong Dudeplace (May 5, 2019). "ยอดจองซื้อ Harper's BAZAAR ฉบับปก ลิซ่า BlackPink ทุบสถิติใหม่ พิมพ์ 120,000 เล่มก็ยังไม่พอ". Dudeplace (in Thai). Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Are K-Pop Stars the World's Biggest 'Influencers'?". The Wall Street Journal. July 15, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- Myeong Hee-suk (August 13, 2018). ""트와이스→현아" 네이처가 꼽은 8인 롤모델 [MD인터뷰②]". MyDaily (in Korean). Retrieved June 13, 2020.
- "ทีมถ้ำหลวง-ลิซ่า คว้ารางวัล THE STANDARD PERSON OF THE YEAR 2018 คนไทยผู้สร้างปรากฏการณ์แห่งปี". The Standard. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "อเล็กซ์ เรนเดลล์ – ลิซ่า BLACKPINK คว้ารางวัล THE STANDARD Person of the Year 2019". The Standard. December 19, 2019. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- "Sanook x JOOX Thailand Music Awards 2020". Retrieved February 14, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lisa (Thai singer).|