List of Canadian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Canada has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1971. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
As of 2016, seven Canadian films have been nominated, including one winner, for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Of these films, three have been directed by Denys Arcand: Jesus of Montreal, nominated at the 62nd Academy Awards; The Decline of the American Empire, nominated at the 59th Academy Awards; and its sequel, The Barbarian Invasions, which was the winner at the 76th Academy Awards. Arcand's Days of Darkness was shortlisted for the Oscar, but was not nominated. The other four Canadian directors to have their films nominated are Deepa Mehta for Water at the 79th Academy Awards, Denis Villeneuve for Incendies at the 83rd Academy Awards, Philippe Falardeau for Monsieur Lazhar at the 84th Academy Awards, and Kim Nguyen for War Witch at the 85th Academy Awards.
Of the 42 films selected to date as Canada's submission to the Academy Awards, 18 of them have also won the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Motion Picture.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Canada for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony. With two exceptions (2001's Inuktitut Atanarjuat and 2005's Hindi Water), all submissions were Québécois films. All of these were in French, except for A Bullet in the Head which was spoken entirely in an invented language. Other French-language submissions have featured a substantial amount of Inuktitut (The Necessities of Life), Lingala (War Witch) and Yiddish (Felix and Meira).
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Director||Result|
|Mon oncle Antoine||Mon oncle Antoine||Jutra, ClaudeClaude Jutra||Not Nominated|
|The True Nature of Bernadette||La Vraie nature de Bernadette||Carle, GillesGilles Carle||Not Nominated|
|Orders||Les Ordres||Brault, MichelMichel Brault||Not Nominated|
|J.A. Martin Photographer||J.A. Martin photographe||Beaudin, JeanJean Beaudin||Not Nominated|
|A Scream from Silence||Mourir à tue-tête||Poirier, Anne ClaireAnne Claire Poirier||Not Nominated|
|Good Riddance||Les Bons débarras||Mankiewicz, FrancisFrancis Mankiewicz||Not Nominated|
|The Plouffe Family||Les Plouffe||Carle, GillesGilles Carle||Not Nominated|
|Wild Flowers||Les Fleurs savages||Lefebvre, Jean PierreJean Pierre Lefebvre||Not Nominated|
|The Tin Flute||Bonheur d'occasion||Fournier, ClaudeClaude Fournier||Not Nominated|
|Sonatine||Sonatine||Lanctôt, MichelineMicheline Lanctôt||Not Nominated|
|Jacques and November||Jacques et novembre||Bouvier, FrançoisFrançois Bouvier||Not Nominated|
|The Decline of the American Empire||Le Déclin de l'empire américain||Arcand, DenysDenys Arcand||Nominated|
|Night Zoo||Un Zoo la Nuit||Lauzon, Jean-ClaudeJean-Claude Lauzon||Not Nominated|
|The Revolving Doors||Les portes tournantes||Mankiewicz, FrancisFrancis Mankiewicz||Not Nominated|
|Jesus of Montreal||Jésus de Montréal||Arcand, DenysDenys Arcand||Nominated|
|An Imaginary Tale||Une histoire inventée||Forcier, AndréAndré Forcier||Not Nominated|
|A Bullet in the Head||A Bullet in the Head||Bertalan, AttilaAttila Bertalan||Not Nominated|
|Léolo||Léolo||Lauzon, Jean-ClaudeJean-Claude Lauzon||Not Nominated|
|The Sex of the Stars||Le Sexe des étoiles||Baillargeon, PaulePaule Baillargeon||Not Nominated|
|My Friend Max||Mon amie Max||Brault, MichelMichel Brault||Not Nominated|
|The Confessional||Le Confessional||Lepage, RobertRobert Lepage||Not Nominated|
|Not Me!||Sous-sol||Gang, PierrePierre Gang||Not Nominated|
|Cosmos||Cosmos||Alleyn, JenniferJennifer Alleyn, Briand, ManonManon Briand,
Dallaire, Marie-JulieMarie-Julie Dallaire, Paragamian, ArtoArto Paragamian,
Turpin, AndréAndré Turpin, Villeneuve, DenisDenis Villeneuve
|August 32nd on Earth||Un 32 août sur terre||Villeneuve, DenisDenis Villeneuve||Not Nominated|
|Set Me Free||Emporte-moi||Pool, LéaLéa Pool||Not Nominated|
|Maelström||Maelström||Villeneuve, DenisDenis Villeneuve||Not Nominated|
|Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner||Atanarjuat||Kunuk, ZachariasZacharias Kunuk||Not Nominated|
|Un crabe dans la tête||Un crabe dans la tête||Turpin, AndréAndré Turpin||Not Nominated|
|The Barbarian Invasions||Les Invasions barbares||Arcand, DenysDenys Arcand||Won Academy Award|
|Far Side of the Moon||La face cachée de la lune||Lepage, RobertRobert Lepage||Not Nominated|
|C.R.A.Z.Y.||C.R.A.Z.Y.||Vallée, Jean-MarcJean-Marc Vallée||Not Nominated|
|Water||वाटर||Mehta, DeepaDeepa Mehta||Nominated|
|Days of Darkness||L’Âge des ténèbres||Arcand, DenysDenys Arcand||Made January Shortlist|
|The Necessities of Life||Ce qu'il faut pour vivre||Pilon, BenoîtBenoît Pilon||Made January Shortlist|
|I Killed My Mother||J'ai tué ma mère||Dolan, XavierXavier Dolan||Not Nominated|
|Incendies||Incendies||Villeneuve, DenisDenis Villeneuve||Nominated|
|Monsieur Lazhar||Monsieur Lazhar||Falardeau, PhilippePhilippe Falardeau||Nominated|
|War Witch||Rebelle||Nguyen, KimKim Nguyen||Nominated|
|Gabrielle||Gabrielle||Archambault, LouiseLouise Archambault||Not Nominated|
|Mommy||Mommy||Dolan, XavierXavier Dolan||Not Nominated|
|Felix and Meira||Félix et Meira||Giroux, MaximeMaxime Giroux||Not Nominated|
|It's Only the End of the World||Juste la fin du monde||Dolan, XavierXavier Dolan||Made December Shortlist|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time
- Cinema of Canada
- Cinema of Quebec
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2013-08-22. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-10-19. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Denys Arcand - Awards". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Deepa Mehta - Awards". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- "When the Best Teacher Doesn’t Have a Degree". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Canadian director Kim Nguyen on his Oscar nomination for War Witch (Rebelle): ‘We’re clearly the underdog’". The National Post. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "A Bullet in the Head". Éléphant: mémoire du cinéma québécois. Quebecor. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Wong, Jessica (23 September 2016). "Xavier Dolan's It's Only the End of the World to be Canada's Oscar foreign-language film submission". CBC News. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "The 59th Academy Awards (1987) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "The 62nd Academy Awards (1990) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Staff (17 May 1999). "Between the Moon & Montevideo films on location in Old Havana". Playback. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Associated Press (3 January 2004). "‘Invasions’ takes foreign-language Oscar". Today. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Leiren-Young, Mark (24 November 2005). "Jean-Marc Vallée's keeps C.R.A.Z.Y. in Quebec". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Nine foreign-language films compete for Oscar slots". USA Today. 15 January 2008. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "En bref - Ce qu'il faut pour vivre, présélectionné aux Oscars". Le Devoir. 14 January 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Xavier Dolan's killer debut is Canada's Oscar pick". CBC News. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Canada picks 'Incendies' to vie for Oscar". hollywoodreporter. Archived from the original on 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Monsieur Lazhar is Canada's Oscar selection". The Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Oscars 2012: Nominees in full". BBC News. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Kim Nguyen’s Rebelle (War Witch) is Canada’s Oscar submission for best foreign language film". The Montreal Gazette. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Oscars: Hollywood announces 85th Academy Award nominations". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Gabrielle gets Canada's Oscar selection for best foreign film". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Dolan's 'Mommy' Canada's Oscar bid". Brampton Guardian. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- Vlessing, Etan (25 September 2015). "Oscars: Canada Submits 'Felix and Meira' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Vlessing, Etan (23 September 2016). "Oscars: Canada Selects 'It's Only the End of the World' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Oscars: Nine Films Advance in Foreign-Language Race". Variety. 15 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.