List of cooperatives
This is a list of notable co-operative enterprises by country. Co-operatives are business organizations owned and operated by a group of individuals for their mutual benefit. For a list of Co-operative Federations, please see List of co-operative federations.
- 1 Australia
- 2 Canada
- 3 Denmark
- 4 Finland
- 5 France
- 6 India
- 7 Ireland
- 8 Israel
- 9 Japan
- 10 Kenya
- 11 New Zealand
- 12 Philippines
- 13 Scandinavia
- 14 Spain
- 15 Switzerland
- 16 Uganda
- 17 United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- 18 United States
- 19 See also
- 20 Notes
- Dairy Farmers is one of the largest and oldest dairy manufacturers in Australia, established in 1900, supplying products to local and international markets such as eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Kirin Holdings Company, Limited of Japan, via its subsidiary National Foods, acquired the company on 27 November 2008.
- CBH Group and Wesfarmers Limited both started as co-operative groups in Western Australia in the early twentieth century.
- Arctic Co-operatives Limited (retail co-operative in the Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Northern Manitoba.
- Blocks Recording Club (record label)
- The Canadian Co-operative Association (CCA) is a national cooperative federation for Canadian co-operatives headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Canadian Press (newswire)
- Canadian University Press (newswire for student newspapers)
- The Co-operators, founded in 1945, is a Canadian insurance co-operative owned by 40 members.
- Farmers of North America, Farmers buying co-operative.
- Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL), is a co-operative federation, established in 1955, providing procurement and distribution to member co-operatives in Western Canada.
- Home Hardware is a privately held Canadian home improvement, construction materials, and furniture retailer. Co-founded in 1964 by Walter Hachborn and headquartered in St. Jacobs, Ontario, the chain is cooperatively owned by over 1000 independently owned member stores.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is a Canadian consumers' cooperative, which sells outdoor recreation gear and clothing.
- Alberta Wheat Pool
- Calgary Co-op (retail co-op)
- United Farmers of Alberta (UFA) is an agricultural supply cooperative headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Aaron Webster Housing Cooperative (formerly Cityview Co-op) is a housing cooperative located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- CJLY-FM, radio station in Nelson, British Columbia.
- CFRO-FM, licensed and owned by Vancouver Co-operative Radio, is a non-commercial community radio station in Vancouver, British Columbia, in Coast Salish territory.
- EcoReality Sustainable Land Use and Education Cooperative on Saltspring Island is developing an ecovillage based on sustainable agriculture.
- Otter Co-op is a consumers' cooperative in Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada.
Old Market Autonomous Zone Marketing Co-op (formed in 2010) comprises the cooperatives and activist groups located in the heritage building at 91 Albert St in Winnipeg's Exchange District. It houses the following cooperatives:
- Mondragon Bookstore & Coffeehouse is a political bookstore, vegan cafe and organic grocery store located in The Old Market Autonomous Zone at 91 Albert Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- Canadian University Press is a non-profit co-operative and newswire service owned by almost 90 student newspapers at post-secondary schools in Canada.
- Gay Lea Foods Co-operative Limited is a dairy products company in Canada producing butter, sour cream, cottage cheese, whipped cream and lactose free milk for retail, foodservice, industrial and export markets.
- Guelph Campus Cooperative is located in Guelph, Ontario. It is a student run cooperative offering the University of Guelph community a bookstore and student housing.
- Ontario Co-operative Association or On Co-op is a co-operative association serving co-operatives and co-op member organizations in Ontario, Canada.
- Organic Meadow Cooperative is an agricultural cooperative in Ontario. The cooperative originated in 1989 after local farmers sitting around a kitchen table realized that commercialized farming practices were not sustainable for them.
- Rochdale College, Toronto (defunct)
- Toronto Renewable Energy Co-operative
- Waterloo Co-operative Residence Incorporated, also known as WCRI, is a non-profit student housing co-operative located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Wireless Nomad was a non-profit cooperative based in Toronto, Canada providing subscriber-owned home and business internet along with free Wi-Fi wireless Internet access the 70+ nodes, making it one of the largest free Wi-Fi networks in the country at the time.
- Agropur is a Canadian Agricultural cooperative headquartered in Longueuil, Quebec, Canada.
- Desjardins Group
- CCRL Refinery Complex is an oil refinery spread over 544 acres (2.20 km2) located in the city of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada owned by Consumers' Co-operative Refineries Limited (CCRL) that is in turn owned by Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL).
- CFCR-FM - Community Radio Station (Saskatoon)
- Concentra Financial
- Saskatoon Co-op (Saskatoon)
- Saskatoon Farmers' Market (Saskatoon)
- Sherwood Co-op (Regina)
- Southern Rails Cooperative (railway)
- United Farmers of Alberta (UFA) has over 120,000 members and with 2007 revenues of over $1.8 billion, UFA is ranked as the 37th largest business in Alberta by revenue according to Alberta Venture magazine. 
- Arla Foods is a Swedish-Danish cooperative based in Aarhus, Denmark, and the largest producer of dairy products in Scandinavia.
- Danish Crown AmbA is Denmark's largest meat packer cooperative based in Aarhus, Denmark. It processes meat from pig and cattle, but not from chicken and other poultry. It is the world's largest exporter of pig meat products with subsidiaries in other countries.
- FDB (Danish: Fællesforeningen for Danmarks Brugsforeninger), or The Danish Consumers Co-operative Society is a consumer co-operative based in Denmark.
- Crédit Agricole
- Enercoop is a French electricity supplier. It is the only one in France in the form of a cooperative.
- Aavin Aavin(Tamil:ஆவின்) is the trademark of the Tamil Nadu Co-operative Milk Producers' Federation Limited,
- Adarsh Co-operative Bank
- Anyonya Co-operative Bank Limited
- Horticultural Producers' Cooperative Marketing and Processing Society
- Indian Coffee House
- Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited
- Kaira District Co-operative Milk Producers' Union
- Karnataka Milk Federation(KMF)
- Kerala Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (KCMMF)
- Pratibha Mahila Sahakari Bank
- Sant Muktabai Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana
- Shri Mahila Griha Udyog Lijjat Papad
- Vasudhara Dairy
- Dublin Food Co-op is a vegetarian food co-operative located in The Liberties area of Dublin, Ireland, which deals primarily in organic wholefood produce.
- Dan Bus Company
- Egged Israel Transport Cooperative Society Ltd
- Granot central cooperative
- Tnuva Central Cooperative for the Marketing of Agricultural Produce in Israel Ltd.
- Co-op Kobe (Japanese: コープこうべ), officially known as Consumer Co-operative Kobe, is a Kobe, Japan-based consumers' cooperative. It is the largest retail cooperative in Japan and, with over 1.2 million members, is one of the largest cooperatives in the world.
- Mwalimu Cooperative Savings & Credit Society Limited, the largest savings and credit cooperative society (Sacco), in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community.
- Electricity Ashburton
- Farmers' Mutual Group
- Fonterra Co-operative Group
- Foodstuffs (Auckland) Cooperative
- Foodstuffs South Island Cooperative
- Foodstuffs (Wellington) Cooperative
- Mitre 10
- Nelson Building Society
- Paper Plus Group
- Silver Fern Farms
- SBS Bank
- Southern Cross Medical Care Society
- Tatua Cooperative Dairy Company
- The Co-operative Bank
- Westland Cooperative Dairy Company
- Lighthouse Cooperative, a multi-purpose cooperative in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines established in 1998.
- Tagum Cooperative- a cooperative from Tagum City with 9 Branches and 1 Business Center in Region XI
- The Mondragón Cooperative Corporation is a federation of worker cooperatives based in the Basque region of Spain.
United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- The Co-operative Bank
- Baywind Energy Co-operative
- Brighton Energy Co-operative
- Central England Co-operative
- Colchester and East Essex Co-operative Society
- Co-operative Press
- Daily Bread Co-operative
- Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative
- Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative
- Highburton Co-operative Society
- Ilkeston Co-operative Society
- John Lewis Partnership (employee-owned business, not formal co-op)
- London Capital Credit Union
- Magpie Recycling
- New Internationalist
- The New Leaf Cooperative
- People's Press Printing Society
- The Phone Co-op
- Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society
- Revolver Co-operative
- Ruskin House
- Shared Interest
- Suma Wholefoods (Triangle Wholefoods Collective Ltd)
- Swann Morton worker co-op
- The Co-operative Group has 22 independent consumer co-operatives as corporate members or customer owners, including:
- Central England Co-operative
- Channel Islands Co-operative Society
- Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society
- East of England Co-operative Society
- Heart of England Co-operative Society
- Lincolnshire Co-operative
- The Midcounties Co-operative
- Penrith Co-operative Society
- Radstock Co-operative Society
- Scottish Midland Co-operative Society
- Southern Co-operative
- Wooldale Co-operative Society
- Unicorn Grocery
- Veggies of Nottingham
- Westmill Solar Co-operative
- Westmill Wind Farm Co-operative
- Ace Hardware, Oak Brook, Illinois
- Affiliated Foods Inc.
- Affiliated Foods Midwest Co-op Inc.
- Affiliated Foods Southwest
- AgFirst Farm Credit Bank
- Agribank, FCB
- Ant Hill Cooperative
- Associated Food Stores
- Associated Grocers of Florida, Inc
- Associated Grocers of the South, Inc.
- Associated Grocers, Inc.
- Associated Press
- Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Associated Wholesalers, Inc.
- Audubon Mutual Housing Corporation
- Avalon Organic Gardens & EcoVillage
- Basin Electric Power Cooperative
- Berkeley Student Cooperative
- Black Star Co-op A brewpub located in Austin, TX
- Blue Diamond Growers
- Bob's Red Mill
- Brown Association for Cooperative Housing
- Cabot Creamery, Vermont-based dairy marketing
- Carpet One, Coop division beneath the CCA Global Partner umbrella
- Central Grocers Cooperative
- Certified Grocers Midwest
- Choptank Electric Cooperative
- CHS Inc.
- Cooperative Development Foundation
- Dairy Farmers of America
- Dairylea Cooperative Inc.
- Delta and Providence Cooperative Farms
- Diamond Walnut Growers, Inc.
- Do It Best
- Equal Exchange
- Farm Credit Bank of Texas
- First Tech Credit Union
- Florida's Natural Growers (formerly Citrus World Inc.)
- Florists' Transworld Delivery (FTD)
- Full Sail Brewing Company
- George Street Co-op
- Great River Energy
- Greenbelt Homes, Inc.
- Greenbelt News Review
- Group Health Cooperative
- GROWMARK, Inc.
- Inter-Cooperative Council at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor MI)
- Land O'Lakes
- Madison Community Co-op
- MFA Incorporated
- Michigan State University Student Housing Cooperative
- National Cooperative Bank (now NCB)
- National Cooperative Business Association (NCBA)
- National Grape Cooperative Association, Inc.
- National Rural Utilities Cooperative Finance Corporation
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- New Deal Cafe
- New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union
- New Whalom Cooperative
- Nebraska Rural Radio Association
- NonProfits' United
- Northcountry Cooperative Development Fund
- Oberlin Student Cooperative Association
- Ocean Spray (cooperative)
- Oglethorpe Power Corporation
- Old Dominion Electric Cooperative
- Park Slope Food Coop
- Pentagon Federal Credit Union
- People's Food Co-op (Portland)
- Piggly Wiggly Alabama
- Pioneer Telephone Cooperative (Oklahoma)
- Pioneer Telephone Cooperative (Oregon)
- Princeton Cooperative
- R.E.I. (Recreational Equipment Inc.)
- Rapidan Camps
- Riceland Foods
- Scary Cow Productions
- Snake River Sugar Company
- Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative
- Southern States Cooperative
- Sunkist Growers, Inc.
- Tennessee Farmers Cooperative
- The Union Credit Union
- Tillamook County Creamery Association
- Topco Associates
- True Value Corporation
- U.S. AgBank, FCB
- U.S. Central Credit Union
- Unified Western Grocers
- USA Federal Credit Union (San Diego, Ca)
- United Hardware Distributing Company (Hardware Hank)
- Universal Cooperatives
- URM Stores
- VHA, Inc.
- Wakefern Food (ShopRite)
- Weaver's Way Co-op
- Weaver Street Market
- Wedge Community Co-op
- Welch's (Welch Foods Inc.)
- Western Family Holding Company
- Western Sugar Cooperative
- WestFarm Foods
- Wheatsville Co-op
- Whole Foods Co-op
- Winfield Park Mutual Housing Corporation
- List of co-operative federations
- List of employee-owned companies
- List of energy cooperatives
- List of food cooperatives
- List of retailers' cooperatives
- List of worker cooperatives
- List of utility cooperatives
- O'Sullivan, Arthur; Steven M. Sheffrin (2003). Economics: Principles in action. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-063085-3.
- "Japanese firm readies bid for Dairy Farmers". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- "National Foods to acquire Dairy Farmers for $910 million" (Press release). Dairy Farmers Limited. 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- Cooperatives Europe - Coop Norden focuses its pan-Nordic operations on purchasing