|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||970/1000 ♂/♀|
Ponneri is a city located at North Chennai in Thiruvallur district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located in Ponneri taluk. The neighbourhood is served by the Ponneri railway station of the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. Ponneri is selected among 100 cities for Smart city Development.
Moving fast on the road to setting up the proposed Smart City at Ponneri, the Japan International Cooperation Agency has prepared a master plan that envisages development of the urban, manufacturing node near Chennai spread across 22,000 acres of land at a total cost of Rs 32,713 crore.
The proposed city is expected to have a population of four lakhs and a working population of 8.88 lakh by 2025, as per the master plan document. It would be developed in three phases. The first phase will involve 4,448 acres of land available with government agencies while the second phase would involve 2,718 acres of existing port area. The third phase will involve 5,667 acres of land with existing development around coastal regulation zone. Of the total planned area, 9,133 acres of land are yet to be acquired ponneri is major destination for Andhra Pradesh people to buy goods
Banks And ATM
Ponneri has banks and ATMs with the following.
|Bank Name||Public/Private||Bank||ATM Centre|
|Bank Of India||Public||Yes||Yes|
|Indian Overseas Bank||Public||Yes||Yes|
|State Bank Of India||Public||Yes||Yes|
|City Union Bank||Private||Yes||Yes|
|Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited||Private||Yes||Yes|
Ponneri is located at  It has an average elevation of 16 metres (52 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Ponneri had a population of 24,205. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50% and with Minjur population, with postal code 601204, considered it could be of 50,000 as ponneri state offices governs most of state implementations on all blocks under ponneri taluk. Neighbouring towns are Minjur and Athipattu with development underway on NCTPS power plant project.ponneri is located from arani river. Ponneri is located 13 km from pattupalli(பட்டுப்பள்ளி) and the pulicat lake from 23 km. Ponneri has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Approximately 81% of males and 66% of females are literate. About 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Namadhu Ponneri (Tamil: நமது பொன்னேரி) is a Tamil/English Newspaper, Which is Circulating 10000 issues in Ponneri (Thatchur, Velammal Avenue, Andarkuppam, Muslim Nagar, Sainavaram, Krishnapuram, Mookambigai Nagar, N.G.O Nagar, Ponneri Bazaar, Theradi, Balaji Nagar, Shakthi Nagar, Venbakkam, Thadaperumbakkam, Pon Nagar)
- Sri Kari Krishna Perumal Koil, Ponneri
- Sri Balasubramaniaswamy Koil, Andarkuppam
- ST.JAMES CHURCH, VENBAKKAM,PONNERI
- Ponneri Boys Govt. Hr. Sec School
- Jaigopal Garodia Govt. Girls School
- Pattupalli Govt Primary School, Pattupalli (பட்டுப்பள்ளி)
- Bharath Matric Hr. Sec School
- St. John's matriculation school
- Velammal matric.Hr.Sec.school
- Best Primary School
- Velammal International Residential School
- TVIS Bodhi Campus
- Velammal Weeklong Boarding
- Velammal Cricket Academy
- St. James Matriculation Hr.sec School,Venbakkam ,Ponneri - 601204
- L.E.F Eden Matric Hr. Sec School
- Adarsh Matric Hr. Sec School
- Velammal Institute of Technology
- Unity matriculation school
- Modern matriculation school
- LNG College of Arts & Science
- SRI Devi College of Arts & Science
- Bharathy Nursery and Primary School
- Vidhya Mandhir Matric.Hr.Sec.School
- Gojan School of Business and Technology, Ponneri
- R.B. Gothi jain college for women
- Dr.V. Genguswamy Naidu Matriculation School, Ponneri.
- Vishwa Nursery and Primary School, Ponneri
- Tamil Nadu open university, Ponneri
- Scope Education Institute, Murugan Koil Street, Near Balaji Cafe, (Opp. Ponneri Telephone Exchange) Ponneri
- Tamil Nadu fisheries university, Ponneri
|Normal buses||Express + Normal buses||Deluxe + Express + Normal buses||AC volvo + Deluxe + Express + Normal buses|
Legend: HF- High Frequency Route, NS - Night Service Route, LF - Low Frequency Route
|Pattabiram||Ponneri||Avadi, Ambattur OT, Puzhal, Red Hills, Karanodai, Thachur Koot Road, Andarkuppam, Krishnapuram||x|
|558||Ponneri||V Nagar||Andarkuppam, Panjetti, Karanodai, Red Hills, Kavangarai, Moolakadai, Vyasarpadi||x|
|558B||Red Hills||Pazhaverkadu||Padianallur, Karanodai, Ponneri, Kanchivoyal, Thirupalaivanam, Perliyambakkam, Pulicut||x|
|558C||Ponneri||Koyambedu||Thirumangalam, Lucas, Kolathur, Kavangarai, Red Hills, Karanodai, Thatchur Road Jn||x|
|558D||Red Hills||Avurivakkam||Kattur Road Jn, Medhur, Ponneri, Thatchur Road Jn, Sholavaram, Padiyanallur||x|
|558M||Red Hills||Minjur||Padianallur, Sholavaram, Thatchur Road Jn, Andarkuppam, Ponneri, Pulikulam, Nallur||x|
|558P||Red Hills||Perumbedukuppam||Padianallur, Karanodai, Thatchur Road Jn, Ponneri, Chinnakuvanam, Perumbedu||x|
|562B||Poonamallee||Ponneri||Karayancahvadi, Avadi, Ambathur OT, Padianallur, Sholavaram, Thatchur Road Jn||x|
|595A||Thiruvotriyur||Pazhaverkadu||Sathyamoorthy Nagar, Minjur, Ponneri, Kadapakkam, Thathanmanji, Perliyambakkam, Pulicut||x|
|T43||ponneri||gummudipoondi, Pallipalayam||thatchur, rettambedu, Pattupalli(பட்டுப்பள்ளி சந்திப்புச்சாலை), Seganyam, devambattu|
|90A||ponneri (OR)கோயம்பேடு||Annamalaicherry]]||Redhills, thatchur, rettambedu, Pattupalli(பட்டுப்பள்ளி சந்திப்புச்சாலை), Seganyam, devambattu||Express|
|Arani||பழவேற்காடு, Bay of Bengal|
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Ponneri
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-08.