This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A view of the temple mandap at foot hill along with steps
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kundrathur is a neighbourhood of the city of Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Famous Kundrathur Murugan Temple is located in this town. It is also a lesser known fact that Kundrathur is home to Navagraha Temples of Chennai / Thondai Naadu.
There are many ancient Vedic shrines located here which have recently been studied by a team of researchers at Yale University.
The area is one of the 163 notified areas (megalithic sites) in the state of Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Poet Sekkizhar who compiled the life of all significant servants of Lord Shiva (Nayanmars numbering 63) in Tamil Nadu in the form of an Epic was born here and his birthplace was made into a Temple. He was the chief minister of Kulothunga Chozhan II alias Anabaya Chozhan. He later renounced his minister post and wrote Periapuranam. His young brother Palaravayar dug a water tank near his residence, which is now called ‘’Palaravayar Kulam’’.
It is very close to the Chennai's new Outer Ring road which connects it to Bangalore highway in Nazarathpet junction. It is well connected to the city with Porur on one side. Pallavaram on the other side. From Kundrathur the famous Mangadu Kamakshi Amman temple is just 3 km via the road which leads to Gummananchavadi, Poonamallee. From the Kundrathur Murugan temple there is a road which leads to Thirumudivakkam and Thiruneermalai(Which has famous perumal temple) and West Tambaram area. There is a bus plying every 5 mins from Kundrathur towards various parts of city like Tambaram/Porur/Vadapalani/Parrys. It is also connected to the Sriperumpudur by a separate road through Somangalam.
Chembarambakkam Lake is next to Kundrathur. So water facility is good in this area.
- Murugan Temple
- Kandaleeswarar Temple
- Thiru Ooraga Perumal temple
- Sekhizhar temple
- Nageshwar Temple
- Sekhizar Mani Mandapam
- Gangai Amman Mandhaveali Amman temple
- Chelliamman Temple
- Bhavani amman Temple
- Mangadu Kamakshi Temple(3 km away)
- Kovur sundareswar temple (3 km away)
- Thiruneermalai Neervanna perumal Temple (one of 108 divya desam is 4 km away)
- Sri Methalishwarar Temple@ Metha Nagar Jun month of 2017 Raj Gopuram Koodamulluka vizha is going to happen.
- Sri Gubera Ganapathi Temple@ Metha Nagar
- Sekhizhar Govt Hr sec School
- Little Flower Matric. Hr. Sec. School
- Annai Pooranam Nursery & Primary School
- Peace on green earth public school
- Pavendar tamil vali palli
- SMHS Convent
- Shivanthi Public&Matric.Hr.Sec. School@ Metha Nagar
Child Day Care Centre
- Chennai Institute of Technology(CIT), Sarathy Nagar, Kundrathur
- Madha Group of Educational Institutions, Kundrathur Main Road, Kundrathur
- Madha Medical College and Hospital, Thandalam-Kovur, near Kundrathur
- Madha College of Physiotherapy in Somamangalam
- St.Joseph College of Arts and Science, Kovur
- Sri Muthukumaran Group of institutions, Sikkarayapuram, near Mangadu
- Vasantha Bhavan
- Sree Gupta Bhavan
- Meat and Eat
- Briyani Palace
- Parimalam Theatre
Sekkizhar Park and Sambandam Nagar Park are the two parks in the locality.
- Madhavan, D. (20 December 2012). "National Institute of Siddha modifies expansion plan". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 23 Dec 2012.