|• Type||First Grade Municipality|
|• Body||Aruppukottai Municipality|
|Elevation||97 m (318 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Aruppukottai is a town and a municipality in Virudhunagar district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Aruppukottai's classical name is "sengattu irukkai edathuvali". Aruppukottai is about 50 km from Madurai. It is in the middle of Madurai-Tuticorin National Highways NH-45B.The small villages and towns surrounding Aruppukottai are famous for production of jasmine.Aruppukottai is always famous for producing Yarn, aruppukottai sri ramalinga mills, it was the second biggest spinning mill in Asia. Sri Ramana Maharishi was born in Tiruchuli near Aruppukottai town. Aruppukottai was part of king Sethupathi of Ramnad.King Sethupathi has Zamin Palace in Palyampatti. Aruppukottai is well known for its high quality educational institutions. As of 2011, the town had a population of 87,722. After Madurai it is the only near by city to have well built and maintained theaters. The town also hosts two famous temples - Arulmigu Amuthalingeshwarar Temple and Arulmigu Meenakshi Chokkanatha Swamy Temple on Thiruchuzhi Road.
The climate is dry and hot, with rains during October–December. Temperatures during summer reach a maximum of 40 and a minimum of 17 degrees Celsius. Winter temperatures range between 30 and 18 degrees Celsius. The average annual rainfall is about 70 cm.
According to 2011 census, Aruppukkottai had a population of 87,722 with a sex-ratio of 1,014 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 7,654 were under the age of six, constituting 3,934 males and 3,720 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 7.04% and .16% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the district was 82.12%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The district had a total of 23803 households. There were a total of 37,631 workers, comprising 200 cultivators, 764 main agricultural labourers, 5,227 in house hold industries, 29,788 other workers, 1,652 marginal workers, 20 marginal cultivators, 285 marginal agricultural labourers, 214 marginal workers in household industries and 1,133 other marginal workers.
Aruppukottai acts mainly as an educational and commercial hub for the surrounding villages. It is noted for its cotton industries mainly spinning mills. Rice mills and limestone industries, hand loom, power loom, printing press, and some small-scale industries such as school note book and daily calendar manufacturing. Hand loom, power loom is the main job in Vellaikottai area. Major employers are spinning mills, weaving sectors (handloom and powerloom), rice mills, private transport and government sector apart from agriculture. Aruppukottai has mixed population town. Aruppukottai was once known for its handloom weaving industry and for Agricultural Millets very much famous.
Virudhunagar district continued to be on the top in the State in Plus Two and SSLC examination results for more than three decades now. In the SSLC exam conducted in 2010, Aruppukottai educational district tops all the 68 educational districts in the State with a record success rate of 97.51 percentage. Forty schools, including record 24 Government schools, produced centum results in the Aruppukottai educational district alone. Main reasons for this are the sustained monitoring of individual schools and the competition among the students in scoring high marks.
Recently, an e-smart classroom was launched by Ex-Minister for Information and Technology Poongothai Aladi Aruna and School Education Ex-Minister Thangam Thennarasu at a Government Higher Secondary School in Mallankinaru near Aruppukottai. Recently a CBSE school was opened in the city.
On seeing success of Virudhunagar district, teams from Trichy district will visit schools to study best practices in Virudhunagar district that has been maintaining the first position for the last two decades. According to the CEO of Trichy district, Mr. T. Mohanakumar,
Headmasters and subject teachers from top-notch schools in Virudhunagar district will also be invited to Tiruchi to guide their counterparts to scale up their performance.
Some government schools and colleges are
- Saliyar Mahajana Higher Secondary School
- Sri Vishwas Vidhyalaya (Affiliated to CISCE,New Delhi.Affiliation code:TN096)
- Vishwas Nursery and Primary School
- Al-Ameen Muslim Higher Secondary School
- Sri Sowdambika Convent Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Gandhi Vidyalaya Higher Secondary School
- Chandra National School(CBSE)
- STRN GHSS, Aruppukottai
- GHSS, Vellaiyapuram
- Noble Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Periyavallikulam.
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School,Pandhalkudi
- Municipal Middle School,(Nesavalar colony,Aruppukottai)
- C.S.I Girls Higher Secondary School,(Aruppukottai)
- SBK Higher Secondary School
- SBK Girls Higher Secondary School
- SBK Elementary School
- SBK KSS Thiyagarajan Memorial Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- SBK Junior Nursery and Primary School
- SBK School (CBSE)
- Devangar Boys Higher Secondary School
- Devangar Girls Higher Secondary School
- Devengar Middle Schools (Chockalingapuram, Kailasa Oorani)
- Devangar Primary School (South Street)
- Vishwas Nursery and Primary School
- Gov arts and science college apk.
- SBK Arts college.
- Noble college of Arts and Science for Women , Palavanatham.
- Sri Sowdambika Polytechnic College
- Sri Sowdambika Engineering College
- Devangar Arts college
Aruppukottai is a revenue division in virudunagar district. There is a Revenue division officer/sub divisional magistrate. There are five police stations for the public convenience One Is DSP Office, the second one is Taluk Police Station, third is For Town Police Station, fourth one is traffic police station and the fifth one is All Women police Station. A Sub-Court, a District Munsif Court and a Judicial Magistrate Court are functioning in Aruppukottai, and are located in a Combined Court Complex.
Aruppukottai acts as a hub connecting Madurai, Thoothukudi, Virudhunagar, Tirunelveli, Kovilpatti and Ramanathapuram. aruppukottai which is well connected by roads. Aruppukottai Sri Jayavilas Limited started by Mr.Saathu Ramasamy naicker by 1930 is leading in transport,Mills,finance,Fuel bulks,goods transport in the southern most part of tamilnadu.After his death, their sons take over the entire groups and service with mankind respectful manner.
MMP TRANSPORT in Aruppukottai having buses plying in Virudhunagar,Madurai,Tutucorin and Ramnad districts.They started the service in 1922.
Aruppukkottai Railway station has a broad gauge railway line that connects to Manamadurai and Virudhunagar. It is the main route to connecting south districts to delta districts, and it is the route Virudhunagar–Aruppukkottai-manmamadurai-karaikudi-trichy, alternate route for virudhunagar-madurai-dindugal-trichy to chennai.Further more now Railway department is starting a new railway line between Madurai to Thoothukudi New railway line through madurai - thiruparangundram - Kariapatti - Aruppukottai - Vilathikulam -Thoothukudi.
Aruppukottai state assembly constituency is part of Virudhunagar Lok Sabha Constituency. Aruppukottai is a separate constituency of legislative election.
- In 1952 pasum pon muthuramalinga thevar elected as MP from Aruppukottai parliament constituency
- M.G.Ramachandran(MGR)became first time as chief minister of Tamil Nadu, when he got selected from Aruppukottai constituency.
- Aruppukottai News based Dynamic Website in Tamil Language
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aruppukkottai.|
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Tamil Nadu News : Girls achieve 98 per cent success rate in SSLC exams. Aravind scored the top marks in this year 12th grade with 1193 marks and stands first in state". The Hindu. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Education / School : e-smart classroom in Government school". The Hindu. 2010-07-30. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Cities / Tiruchirapalli : Tiruchi to take a leaf out of Virudhunagar teaching model". The Hindu. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2012-06-30.