Great Stupa of Sanchi
Location of Raisen district in Madhya Pradesh
|Coordinates (Raisen): Coordinates:|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||(Vidisha) (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|• Total||8,399 km2 (3,243 sq mi)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||74.26 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||899|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
Raisen District is a district of Madhya Pradesh state of India. The town of Raisen is the district headquarters. The district is part of Bhopal Division. Sanchi University of Buddhist-Indic Studies is the first international university located at Sanchi Town.
Raisen District takes its name from Raisen town, which is named after a fort. This fort is built on a sandstone hill, at the foot of which settles the town. The name is probably a corruption of Rajavasini or Rajasayan, the royal residence.
Raisen district is situated between the latitude 22 47' and 23 33' north and the longitude 7721' and 78 49' east. Sehore district lies in west, Vidisha district in the north, Sagar district in the east and south-east, Narsimhapur district in the south-east, Hoshangabad and Sehore districts in the south. It covers an area of 8,395 square kilometres (3,241 sq mi).
The territory of the present-day Raisen district was once part of the Nizamat-A-Mashrif district of the Bhopal princely state. After the Bhopal State of independent India came into being, Raisen was declared a separate district on 5 May 1950.
According to the 2011 census Raisen District has a population of 1,331,597, roughly equal to the nation of Mauritius or the US state of Maine. This gives it a ranking of 365th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 157 inhabitants per square kilometre (410/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.36%. Raisen has a sex ratio of 899 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 74.26%.
Raisen District has many tourism places like Sanchi:- World heritage, 46 km from Bhopal and 32 km from Vidisha, Bhojpur:- The Bhojpur temple houses one of the largest Shiva lingam in India, which is 5.5 m (18 ft) tall and 2.3 m (7.5 ft) in circumference and is crafted out a single rock.
- "History | District Raisen, Government of Madhya Pradesh | India". Retrieved 21 May 2021.
- "Raisen". Raisen district administration. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- "District Census Handbook - Raisen" (PDF). 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations, Madhya Pradesh. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "An Historical and Artistic Description of Sanchi (1918)". Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- "Rock Shelters of bhimbhetka". UNESCO. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Mauritius 1,303,717 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- 2011 Census of India, Population By Mother Tongue
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raisen district.|