Ranga Reddy district
|Ranga Reddy District
రంగా రెడ్డి జిల్లా
ضلع رنگا ریڈی
|District of Telangana|
Location in Telangana, India
|Founded||15 August 1978|
|Named for||Konda Venkata Ranga Reddy|
|• Type||Zilla Parishad (part), GHMC (part)|
|• Body||HMDA part|
|• MP||Konda Vishweshwar Reddy|
|• Total||5,031 km2 (1,942 sq mi)|
|• Density||486/km2 (1,260/sq mi)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||500 XXX, 501 XXX|
Ranga Reddy district is one of the 31 districts in the Indian state of Telangana. The district headquarters are located at Shamshabad. The district was named after the former deputy chief minister of the united state of Andhra Pradesh, K.V.Ranga Reddy.
The district was formed in 1978 when it was split from Hyderabad district. Originally named Hyderabad (Rural) district, it was renamed after Konda Venkata Ranga Reddy, a freedom fighter who fought for the independence of Telangana from the Nizams and who went on to become the deputy chief minister of Andhra Pradesh. In 2016, it was carved out during the districts re-organisation to create new Vikarabad district and Medchal−Malkajgiri district.
Ranga Reddy District occupies an area of approximately 7,500 square kilometres (2,900 sq mi).
- Medium-scale industries and Cement Corporation Of India (CCI)'s cement factories are established at Tandur.
- Another major company is Hyderabad Chemicals and Fertilizers, established at Moula-Ali in 1942.
In 2006 the Indian government named Ranga Reddy one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the nine districts in Telangana currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The district will have five revenue divisions of Chevella, Ibrahimpatnam, Rajendranagar, Kandukur and Shadnagar. They are sub-divided into 27 mandals. Ranghunandan Rao is the present collector of the district.
The below table categorizes mandals into their respective revenue divisions in the district:
|#||Chevella revenue division||Ibrahimpatnam revenue division||Kandukur revenue division||Rajendranagar revenue division||Shadnagar revenue division|
- "District Codes". Government of Telangana Transport Department. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Rangareddy district" (PDF). New Districts Formation Portal. Government of Telangana. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 November 2016. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Shamshabad to be Ranga Reddy district". Deccan Chronicle. 3 October 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Ranga Reddy district set to shrink". The Hindu. 3 October 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Law, Gwillim (2011-09-25). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Salient Features of Rangareddy District". Rangareddy District Official Website. Collectorate Rangareddy District. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "K Chandrasekhar Rao appoints collectors for new districts". Deccan Chronicle. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Ranga Reddy district map". newdistrictsformation.telangana.gov.in. Retrieved 22 August 2016.