|Public (LSE: SXS)|
Egham, Surrey, United Kingdom
|Headquarters||Egham, Surrey, United Kingdom|
|John Poulter, Chairman
John O'Higgins, CEO
|Revenue||£1,173.7 million (2014)|
|£168.3 million (2014)|
|£135.1 million (2014)|
The Company,www.spectris.com, was founded by Richard Fairey in 1915, as the Fairey Aviation Company with the objective of manufacturing seaplanes. In 1980 the business was acquired by Pearson from which it was the subject of a management buy-out in 1987. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1988. In the 1990s the Company focused on electronics selling its electrical insulator and hydraulic actuator businesses.
In 1997 it acquired Burnfield, a measuring instruments manufacturer, and in 1999 it bought Servomex, an industrial instruments manufacturer. In 2000 it bought four instrumentation businesses from Spectris A.G. of Germany and then in 2001 changed its name to Spectris plc. In 2002 it bought the Philips Analytical business. In 2011, Spectris bought Omega Engineering for $475 million. In December 2012 it sold Fusion UV to Heraeus Holding, GmbH. for $172 million (USD) in cash using the proceeds to pay down debt.
The Company is organised as follows:
- Materials Analysis - Malvern Instruments, Particle Measuring Systems, PANalytical
- Test & Measurement - Brüel & Kjær Sound & Vibration, HBM Test and Measurement
- In-line instrumentation - Beta LaserMike, Brüel & Kjær Vibro, BTG, NDC Infrared Engineering, Servomex
- Industrial Controls - Microscan Systems, Inc., Red Lion Controls, Omega Engineering
- "Annual Report 2014" (PDF). Spectris. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Spectris: History
- "Spectris buys X-ray technology for €150m". The Independent. 18 July 2002. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Ebrahami, Helia (16 August 2011). "Spectris buys US rival for $475m". The Telegraph. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Spectris sells Fusion UV business to Heraus for 172m dollars". 19 December 2012.
- Spectris: Businesses
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|