Surface Pro (2017)
Surface Pro with Type Cover in Alcantara fabric
|Release date||June 15, 2017|
|Introductory price||$799 (£749)|
|Operating system||Windows 10 Pro|
|CPU||Intel Kaby Lake low-voltage dual-core:|
1.0 up to 2.6 GHz, 4 MB cache, 4.5 W
2.6 up to 3.5 GHz, 3 MB cache, 15 W
2.5 up to 4.0 GHz, 4 MB cache, 15 W
|Memory||4 GB, 8 GB, or 16 GB|
|Storage||PCIe NVMe SSD in 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, or 1 TB capacities|
|Display||12.3 inches (31 cm) 2736x1824 (267ppi) PixelSense display with 3:2 aspect ratio with 10-point multi-touch and pen support|
|Graphics||m3: Intel HD Graphics 615|
i5: Intel HD Graphics 620
i7: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
|Dimensions||292 millimetres (11.5 in) (width)|
201 millimetres (7.9 in) (height)
8.5 millimetres (0.33 in) (depth)
|Mass||m3: 768 grams (1.693 lb)|
i5: 770 grams (1.70 lb)
i7: 784 grams (1.728 lb)
|Predecessor||Surface Pro 4|
|Successor||Surface Pro 6|
|This article is part of a series on|
The fifth-generation Surface Pro (marketed as the Surface Pro, referred to as Surface Pro 1796 on Microsoft's support site, colloquially referred to as the Surface Pro 2017) is a Surface-series 2-in-1 detachable hybrid notebook computer, designed, developed, marketed, and produced by Microsoft. The Surface Pro was announced on May 23, 2017 at a public event held in Shanghai, China. The device launched in 26 different markets on June 15. The device's successor, Surface Pro 6, was announced alongside the Surface Laptop 2 on October 2, 2018 at an event in New York  and was released on October 16, 2018.
All Surface Pro models feature 7th-generation Intel Kaby Lake Core processors – m3, i5, or i7 – which feature higher clock speeds over the Intel Skylake processors found in its predecessor. The new Kaby Lake chips also feature improved Speed Shift technology, allowing the processor to transition between CPU states quicker. For the first time, both the Core m3 and the Core i5 models are fanless.
RAM options are 4, 8, and 16 GB, and SSD options are 128, 256, and 512 GB and 1 TB. These are the same tiers that were available with Surface Pro 4. (Note, however, that not all RAM options are available with all SSD options.)
In addition, the new Surface Pro features an enhanced kickstand which now opens to 165 degrees, allowing the device to lay flatter – a mode that Microsoft calls Studio Mode. Alongside the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi radio, Bluetooth 4.1 Low Energy, there will now also be the option to purchase the Surface Pro with an LTE Advanced modem for cellular connectivity.
There is also a full-size USB 3.0 port, microSD card reader, headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover Port, and the SurfaceConnect port to connect a wall charger, Docking Station or Surface Dock accessories.
|Price tier (USD)||CPU||GPU||Internal storage||RAM||LTE|
|799||Intel Core m3-7Y30 (1.0 to 2.6 GHz)||HD 615||128 GB||4 GB|
|849||Intel Core i5-7300U (2.6 to 3.5 GHz)||HD 620|
|1299||256 GB||8 GB|
|1599||Intel Core i7-7660U (2.5 to 4.0 GHz)||Iris Plus 640||8 GB|
|2199||512 GB||16 GB|
All Surface Pro models (except in mainland China and Japan) come with a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro and a Microsoft Office 365 30-day trial. Windows 10 comes pre-installed with Mail, Calendar, People, Xbox (app), Photos, Movies and TV, Groove, and Microsoft Edge. With Windows 10, a "Tablet mode" is available when the Type Cover is detached from the device. In this mode, all windows are opened full-screen and the interface becomes more touch-centric.
In mainland China, all Surface Pro models come with a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home and a Microsoft Office 2016 Home & Student edition. Devices with Windows 10 Pro are only available for enterprise.
The device also has a Windows Hello-compatible camera. It combines the use of a regular and infrared cameras to authenticate the user.
Microsoft introduced a collection of new Type Covers, which employs the same Alcantara material as the Surface Signature Type Cover used in the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro 4 and is available in four different color options.
An updated version of the Surface Pen has also been introduced, including up to 4096 levels of pressure and tilt support. Microsoft claims it is the "fastest pen in the world", with only 21 milliseconds of latency. Unlike previous models, this new version of the "Surface Pen" does not come included with the new Surface Pro.
The new Surface Pro is backward-compatible with all accessories of its predecessor models, such as the Surface Dial. The new Surface Type Cover and Surface Pen are also being made backward-compatible with older models such as the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 3.
There was a Surface Pro issue where it had been prone to randomly hibernate and resume shortly afterwards without warning. This issue is mentioned on answers.microsoft.com and can be fixed by installing the latest Windows updates.
- Corden, Jez (May 23, 2017). "Full list of Microsoft Surface Pro (2017) tech specs". Windows Central. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Intel® Core™ m3-7Y30 Processor (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz) Product Specifications". Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Intel® Core™ i5-7300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz) Product Specifications". Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Intel® Core™ i7-7660U Processor (4M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz) Product Specifications". Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Warren, Tom (2018-10-02). "Microsoft unveils Surface Pro 6 with new matte black finish and quad-core processors". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Surface Pro 2017 review: A 2-in-1 tablet you'll actually want to use". Windows Central. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Surface Pro (2017) Review: The Gold Standard for Detachables". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- Seifert, Dan (2017-06-15). "Microsoft Surface Pro review: the new normal". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Move over Apple: Microsoft unveils £800 Surface Pro 'MacBook killer'". Mail Online. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- "Microsoft launches new Surface Pro". BBC News. 2017-05-23. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- Bowden, Zac (May 23, 2017). "Microsoft's new Surface Pro launches June 15, starts at $799". Windows Central. Mobile Nations. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "The 5 biggest announcements from the Microsoft Surface event".
- Commercial Microsoft Surface Pro Tech Specs
- Microsoft Surface Pro Tech Specs
- Corden, Jez (May 23, 2017). "Microsoft's new Surface Pro Signature Type Cover comes in three new colors". Windows Central. Mobile Nations. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Fingas, Jon (May 23, 2017). "Microsoft's new Surface Pen should feel more like writing on paper". Engadget. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- Microsoft's new Surface Pro reportedly experiencing sleep issues - MSPoweruser
- "Customers of Microsoft's Surface Pro (2017) complain of backlight bleed issue, Microsoft offers no response | On MSFT". On MSFT. 2017-07-16. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Light bleed, dark spots, and other display issues - the megathread. • r/Surface". reddit. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Microsoft Surface Pro (2017) vs. Apple iPad Pro (2017): Best Productivity Tablet PC Perspective, Retrieved July 31, 2017.
Surface Pro 4
| Surface Pro
With: Surface Laptop
Surface Pro 6