Ukrainian Naval Infantry
Cap badge (cockade) of the Ukrainian Naval Infantry
|Active||May 23, 1918 -|
|Type||Coast guard / Marines|
|Size||200 soldiers (2 battalions, before 2014)|
|Part of||36th separate brigade of coastal defense|
|Engagements||Ukrainian War of Independence
2014 Crimean crisis
War in Donbass
|Lt. Col. Dmytro Delyatytskyy (1st Bn.);
Temporary Acting Bt. Cmdr. Lt. Col. Roman Malanchuk (501st Bn.)
|Tactical recognition flash|
|This article is outdated. (March 2014)|
The Naval Infantry (Ukrainian: Морська піхота) is part of coastal defense troops of the Ukrainian Navy. It is used as a component part of amphibious, airborne and amphibious-airborne operations, alone or in accordance with formations and units of the Army in order to capture parts of the seashore, islands, ports, fleet bases, coast airfields and other coast objects of the enemy. It can also be used to defend naval bases, vital areas of the shore, separate islands and coast objects, security of hostile areas.
Act independently during attacks on enemy's naval installations, ports, islands and coastal areas. Clear the enemy's coastal areas & provide security during the landing of the main force.
The motto of "Always Faithful" .
Former Russian Imperial army general Pavlo Skoropadskyi understood the importance of naval infantry in providing security to the country. Being the commander-in-chief of land and naval forces, Skoropadskyi brought attention to creating the naval infantry during his first month in power. On May 23, 1918 he ordered the Department of Navy to Begin forming a Brigade of naval infantry consisting of three regiments.
The mission of the Naval Infantry was protecting the coastal areas, serving as a garrison force for forts and conducting landing operations. According to the order the Brigade was divided into three regiments. First regiment was responsible for the areas between the western border until the village of Suchavka, near Odesa. Second regiment was responsible for territory between Suchavka and Stanislavov. Third regiment protected the areas from Stanislavov until Perekop. Brigade was also put in charge of guarding the property of the Navy Department.
On August 31, 1918 each unit was given the permanent headquarters. First regiment's HQ was located in Odesa, second's HQ in Mykolaiv and third's HQ in Kherson. Also at this time 3 squadrons of cavalry were formed. First was stationed in Odesa, second in Ochakiv and third in Perekop.
In October 1918 new recruits born in 1899, would have joined the ranks of the naval infantry, however due to the political situation of that autumn the recruits had to wait until a better time.
Not long after, Pavlo Skoropadskyi was removed from power in an uprising led by Symon Petliura. The Naval Infantry continued to faithfully serve their nation under the banner of the Ukrainian People's Republic. Many of them have died for freedom and independence.
After the Naval Forces were created on July 1, 1993, the first battalion of the Naval Infantry was formed in the city of Sevastopol. The first naval infantrymen were transferred from the airmobile units. On September 1, 1993, the 41st Separate Naval Infantry Battalion was formed. By September 20, 1994, the 4th Naval Infantry Brigade was stationed in the Tylove village of Crimea. From May 1996 until 1998, the Brigade was a part of the Ukrainian National Guard. In 1998, it was transferred to the Navy and re-designated the 1st Separate Naval Infantry Brigade. In 1999, the Brigade consisted of two battalions numbering 1,500 marines. During 2003–04, the The Ukrainian armed forces underwent a program to reduce the number of brigades, and the Naval Infantry Brigade was reduced to a Battalion.
The command of the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine made a decision to form a new naval infantry battalion by force of a mechanised battalion located in Kerch. In December 2013 the militaries of the new 501st Separate Naval Infantry Battalion have taken the Naval Infantry Oath.
The 1st Separate Naval Infantry Battalion was under the jurisdiction of the 36th Separate Coastal Defence Brigade, and it was stationed in Feodosiya and there was also another one battalion (501st Bn.) which was stationed in Kerch; both were in the Crimea until late March 2014. After the Russian annexation of the Crimea the battalions were deployed to another location out of the peninsula. After the annexation of Crimea Ukraine's marine forces composed of only about 200 active duty personnel.
Special reconnaissance units of the marine corps were deployed against insurgents during the 2014 War in Donbass. Oleksandr Zinchenko of the 73rd marine spetsnaz detachment was the first Ukrainian Marine killed during the War in Donbass. The Ukrainian Marine Corps was particularly hard hit by the Crimea Crisis as all of their forces except for the 73rd spetsnaz detachment were stationed on the peninsula, due to this the unit had to undergo extensive reorganization before being able to be deployed to the war in the Donbass. In September 2014 Ministry of Defense announced that the marine corps were reforming from the Crimea Crisis and the remaining members of the 1st Marine Battalion which was stationed in Feodosya would take an active part in the War in Donbass. On 29 October 2014 Ukraine's Marine Corps conventional forces, recently recovered from the Crimea Crisis suffered their first casualty near Mariupol, the Marine was a Major and was killed when his unit's position came under Russian artillery fire.
The ideal goal in the reform of the Naval Infantry Corps is to form a unit which would be similar to the units sent to Iraq. It is planned that there will be no more conscripts in the Naval Infantry, only professional naval infantrymen.
- 1st Regiment - Odesa
- 1st Kuren
- 1st Sotnia
- 2nd Sotnia
- 3rd Sotnia
- machine gun unit
- 2nd Kuren
- 3rd Kuren
- 1st Kuren
- 2nd Regiment - Mykolaiv
- 3rd Regiment - Kherson
- 1st Cavalry Squadron - Odesa
- 2nd Cavalry Squadron - Ochakiv
- 3rd Cavalry Squadron - Perekop
- Separate Air Assault Battalion "Lion"
- Separate Air Assault Battalion "Berkut"
- Separate Air Assault Reconnaissance Battalion "Sword"
- Separate Combat Engineer Battalion "Crab"
- Separate Signal Company
- Anti-Tank Battalion
- Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion
- Artillery Battalion
- Artillery Battalion
- 1st Marine Company
- 2nd Marine Company
- 3rd Marine Air Assault Company
- Mortar Battery
- Reconnaissance Platoon
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ukrainian Marine Corps.|
- Турчинов оголосив 16 листопада Днем морської піхоти (in Ukrainian). LB.ua. 3/41/2014. Retrieved 2014-06-23. Check date values in:
- Structure of Ukrainian Armed Forces
- "Військо України"
- Морська Держава :: Головна сторiнка - Анонси
- Тенюх Ігор Йосипович
- Морская пехота - состав и дислокация ч2
- Microsoft Word - Neutrality-UA_m.doc
- Воїни керченського батальйону склали клятву морського піхотинця (in Ukrainian). Уніан. 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- "КорреспонденT.net. На маленьком флоту. На что сейчас способны остатки украинского флота". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Під Донецьком героїчно загинув командир очаківських морських піхотинців". ТСН.ua. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Новости Одессы. В Одессе, Николаеве и Киеве собирают помощь для морских пехотинцев, отправляющихся в АТО". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Викна-Одесса. В Одессе, Николаеве и Киеве собирают помощь для морских пехотинцев, отправляющихся в АТО". Викна-Одесса: Художественная интернет-галерея. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Одесская жизнь. Стало известно, кого из военных моряков отправляют в зону АТО". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Vesti.lv. Остатки морской пехоты отправят на Донбасс (видео)". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "� Одессе, Николаеве и Киеве собирают помощь для морских пехотинцев, отправляющихся в АТО : Новости : Викна-Одесса". Викна-Одесса: Художественная интернет-галерея. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Українські морпіхи зазнали перших втрат в АТО". UA Press.
- "На первую ротацию вернулась из Донбасса легендарные крымские морские пехотинцы". TSN.
- Міністерство оборони України - Новини
- (Ukrainian) Marine paratroopers received German jump wings