Type of site
|Created by||Wikimedia Foundation and the Urdu Wiki community|
|Launched||27 January 2004|
|Creative Commons Attribution/|
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
Urdu Wikipedia (Urdu: اردو ویکیپیڈیا), started in January 2004, is the Urdu language edition of Wikipedia, a free, open-content encyclopedia. As of 16 January 2022, it has 166,714 articles, 140,045 registered users and 11,605 files, and it is the 50th largest edition of Wikipedia by article count, and ranks 21st in terms of depth among Wikipedias. There were 14.2 million page views in August 2021.
Wikipedia started being multilingual in May 2001. At first, Urdu Wikipedia faced technical problems with the Urdu script font, but now this matter is mostly settled; some unsolved areas remain. Urdu is written in Perso-Arabic script, a right-to-left writing system. As a result, users sometimes need to configure their operating systems and web browsers accordingly.
Currently Urdu Wikipedia uses "Urdu Naskh Asiatype" font, which was introduced and is freely distributed by BBC at BBC Urdu Service website. The font is primarily used for article bodies and headings. Urdu variation of Times New Roman is used for navigation links. Both of these fonts are variations of Naskh style. Some Pakistani variations of complex Nasta'liq script are also supported only as a secondary choice in class definitions of CSS, i.e. if default font is not found on client system, then Nasta'liq script is used. The translation of the Wikipedia interface and project information pages into Urdu is still in progress. Some pages about how to edit have been translated.
In January 2016, Urdu Wikipedia ranked first in the number of articles as compared to other Indian languages. In India, Urdu Wikipedia activities are hosted and promoted by the Dehalvi Wikimedia User Group. The group hosted its first educational program in Deoband in February 2020.
|19 June 2006||1,000|
|13 August 2006||2,000|
|15 March 2007||5,000|
|29 March 2009||10,000|
|28 October 2012||20,000|
|24 April 2014||50,000|
|12 August 2015||75,000|
|29 December 2015||100,000|
|23 November 2019||150,000|
Users and editors
|Number of user accounts||Number of articles||Number of files||Number of administrators|
|Urdu edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- "کراچی میں وکی پیڈیا صارفین کا تاریخی اجلاس" (in Urdu). Karachi: Karachi Updates. 19 October 2009. Archived from the original on 30 April 2014. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "Wikipedians meetup in Pakistan" (in Urdu). Karachi: News Urdu. 19 October 2009. Archived from the original on 23 October 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "List of Wikipedias - Meta". Meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Total page views - ur.wikipedia.org, Wikimedia Statistics, December 31th 2020
- "BBC Urdu - صفحۂ اول". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Muralidhara Khajane (19 January 2016). "Kannada Wikipedia not on top of the charts". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- 2019-2020 Annual report for the Dehalvi Wikimedia User Group
- m:Wikimedia News
- Wikipedia:Milestone statistics
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Urdu Wikipedia.|