Denmark Hill railway station
Location of Denmark Hill in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Southwark|
|Number of platforms||4|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Original company||London, Brighton and South Coast Railway|
|1 December 1865||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Denmark Hill railway station is in the London Borough of Southwark in London, England, on the South London and East London Lines. It is managed by Southeastern and is served by trains of that company and London Overground. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. It is on Champion Park in the south of Camberwell. It is near to King's College and Maudsley hospitals and to the Denmark Hill campus of King's College London, whose buildings are intermingled around and between the two hospitals. It is mostly served by local trains on the London Overground and trains from two London termini: Victoria and Blackfriars. As of August 2013 the station is fully accessible with lifts to all the platforms.
The station was built in 1865. Its design is in the Italianate style, with an extremely decorative frontage and French pavilion roofs. After a fire in 1980 the building was renovated and restored. The project included the addition of a public house, initially called the Phoenix and Firkin to commemorate the fire, then called O'Neills and now the Phoenix. A Civic Trust award was given to the building in 2009
The platforms are below road level, with the short Grove Tunnel at one end and Denmark Hill road bridge at the other. In the period 2011-2013 the station underwent a redesign with the construction of a new ticket office with access from Champion Park, new walkways and lifts to the platforms.
The station is managed by Southeastern on its lines from Victoria to Dartford and from Blackfriars to Sevenoaks. It is also served by London Overground. The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 4 to Clapham Junction (London Overground)
- 4 to Highbury & Islington via Surrey Quays (London Overground)
- 2 non-stop to London Victoria (Southeastern, Monday to Saturday)
- 2 to Blackfriars via Elephant & Castle (Southeastern); Mondays-Fridays continue as Thameslink services to Kentish Town
- 2 to Sevenoaks via the Catford Loop (Southeastern)
- 2 to Dartford via Lewisham and Bexleyheath (Southeastern, Monday to Saturday)
From January 2015: The 2tph London Victoria and Dartford via Bexleyheath will extend to run into the evenings and on Sundays. Which will make this service run 7 days a week. 1tph London Victoria and Dover Priory / Gillingham via Bromley South service will also call at this station.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 26 January 2014.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Southeastern - Denmark Hill
- Southern - Network map (central)
- The Buildings of England London 2: South, Second Edition 1983, page 625
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Denmark Hill railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Denmark Hill railway station from National Rail
- Planning documents for 2011/12 station improvements, Southwark Council,
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Sevenoaks Service and Kentish Town - Sevenoaks (off peak trains)
|Elephant & Castle|
Victoria - Dartford
|Elephant & Castle
Clapham High Street
towards Highbury & Islington
|East London Line||
towards Clapham Junction
|Peckham Rye||British Rail
South London Line