Miss Marianas Universe
|Organization||Stellar Marianas Group|
Miss Marianas Universe or Miss Northern Marianas is the national pageant of the Northern Marianas that sends representatives to the Miss Universe pageant. It is organized by the non-profit beauty and talent group Stellar Marianas.
The current Miss Marianas Universe is Sorene Maratita of Kagman, Saipan, who won the title at the Palms Resort Saipan on November 29, 2008. The first runner-up was Winona Chance Camacho who is also from Saipan. Sorene also took home the Miss Photogenic and Best in Native Costume award. Due to a lack of funding and sponsorship, she was unable to compete at Miss Universe 2009 in the Bahamas. However, Sorene competed at Miss International. She was handed the title by MMU 2005 Shequita DLG. Bennett-Sanchez because of the three-year absence of a titleholder, respectively.
In 2014, Miss Marianas Universe will return in new concept from Stellar Marianas Group and will select the winners in 2015 early. The winner will represent the country at the Miss Universe and new titles for Miss World and Miss International.
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
The winner of Miss Northern Marianas (Miss Marianas Universe) represents her country at Miss Universe. On occasion, when the winner does not qualify (due to age) for either contest, a runner-up is sent. In 2003 the Miss Marianas Universe withdrew at Miss Universe 2003 in unknown reasons and competed at Miss World for first time.
Miss Marianas World
|Year||Miss Marianas World||Village Represented||Placement||Special Awards|
|2003||Kimberly Nicole Reyes||Gualo Rai||Unplaced||Top 21 Miss Talent|
Miss Marianas International
Traditionally second title of Miss Marianas Universe will be crowning as Miss Marianas International to compete at Miss International pageant. Sometimes the winner of Miss Marianas Universe competed at the pageant.
- In 1981, the newly crowned queen, Juanita Masga Mendiola relinquished her title to further education. Her successor is unknown as of this time.
- In 1989, newly crowned queen Soreen Villanueva was dethroned for reasons undisclosed, and eventually was succeeded by Teresa Wamar who competed at the Miss International Pageant.
- For the competing years 2000, 2005, 2007 and 2008 no pageant was held.
- In 2003, Kimberly Castro Reyes was crowned Miss Marianas Universe of that year. Eventually however, she was unable to compete at the national competition in Panama City, Panama that year due to a miscommunication between the pageant's then-organization The Northern Marianas Beauty Pageant Association (NMBPA) and Miss Universe. Outrage and protest had resulted from this by the community and the winning contestant's family and friends. Instead, she was eventually sent to compete at Miss World 2003 in Sanya, the People's Republic of China.
- In 2004, Tracy Del Rosario was crowned Miss Marianas World for that year. It was the only time since the U.S. territory's pageant participation, that a winner of the pageant would be crowned a different title other than Miss Marianas Universe. The year before, crowned Miss Marianas Universe-winner Reyes had been expected to compete at its national pageant but was instead sent to Miss World. This was the last year the NMBPA held the pageant license for its competing territory. They disbanded quickly after the year's pageant.
- Since 2005, a new non-profit pageant and talent organization Stellar Marianas currently directs and holds the license to the Miss Marianas Universe.
- Sorene Maratita, Miss Marianas Universe 2009, did not compete in Miss Universe 2009 due to lack of sponsorship and funding. She will only compete in Miss International.
- "2014". timesofbeauty.com. Retrieved 2014-02-03.