He is a former editor of The Freeman, a magazine published by The Foundation for Economic Education, Vice President of the Future of Freedom Foundation, a Research Fellow at The Independent Institute, a member of the Advisory Panel for the Center for a Stateless Society, and a member of the Liberty and Power group weblog at the History News Network. His own blog is called Free Association.
On August 30, 2012, Richman announced on his blog that his 15 year editorship of The Freeman would end on September 30. According to Richman's comments the reason for his departure was:
|“||Exciting things are happening in Irvington/Atlanta. FEE will revitalize its efforts by focusing on introducing students (16-24) to free-market economics. The organization decided that someone else would be better suited to edit The Freeman under these circumstances.||”|
On November 1, 2012, Richman announced that he had been named vice president of The Future of Freedom Foundation, and would become editor of the Foundation's monthly publication The Future of Freedom.
Richman has written occasional pieces on foreign policy, population issues, federal disaster assistance, international trade, education, the environment, American history, privacy, computers, and the Middle East. These articles have appeared in, among others, the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, American Scholar, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Washington Times, Christian Science Monitor, CounterPunch, Independent Review, Insight, Cato Policy Report, Journal of Economic Development, The World & I, Reason, Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, Middle East Policy, and Liberty. He is a contributor to the Fortune Encyclopedia of Economics.
- 1980. "Let Sleeping Failures Lie: The Reconstruction Finance Corporation", Policy Report, Vol 2, n°11, November, San Francisco: Cato Institute.
- 1982. "A Matter of Degree, Not Principle: The Founding of the American Liberty League", Journal of Libertarian Studies, Vol. VI, n°2, Spring
- 1994a. "A Free Market for Health Care", a chapter in: Richard Ebeling and Jacob G. Hornberger ed., The Dangers of Socialized Medicine, Future of Freedom Foundation
- 1994b. Separating School & State : How to Liberate America's Families. Fairfax, Virginia: The Future of Freedom Foundation
- 1995. "Knowledge, Ignorance, and Government Schools", The Freeman: Ideas on Liberty, June, Vol. 45, n°6,
- 1996. "New Deal Nemesis: The 'Old Right' Jeffersonians", The Independent Review, Vol.I, No.2, Fall, pp201–248
- 1999. Your Money or Your Life : Why We Must Abolish the Income Tax. Fairfax, Virginia: The Future of Freedom Foundation
- 2001. Tethered Citizens: Time to Repeal the Welfare State. Fairfax, Virginia: The Future of Freedom Foundation
- 2004. "Perspective The More Things Change...", The Freeman: Ideas on Liberty, November, Vol. 54 No. 11
- 2007. "New Deal Nemesis: The 'Old Right' Jeffersonians", a chapter in: Robert Higgs and Carl P. Close ed., Opposing the Crusader State : Alternatives to Global Interventionism, IPG Independent Institute
- Sheldon Richman, Libertarian Left: Free-market anti-capitalism, the unknown ideal, The American Conservative, February 3 2011, retrieved March 5 2012, 
- The Future of Freedom Biography: Sheldon Richman Short Biography
- Molinari Institute
- Free Association
- The Gig Is Up
- SR to FFF
- "Obama the Neoconservative". CounterPunch. 2010-09-14. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
-