Location of Westmont in Los Angeles County, California.
|• Total||1.848 sq mi (4.785 km2)|
|• Land||1.848 sq mi (4.785 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
|• Density||17,000/sq mi (6,700/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867072|
Westmont is a census-designated place (CDP) in Los Angeles County, California, United States. The population was 31,853 at the 2010 census, up from 31,623 at the 2000 census. The community is an unincorporated area adjacent to South Los Angeles, which means that all services are received from Los Angeles County. According to the Los Angeles Times, Westmont has been the deadliest neighborhood in Los Angeles County since 2000.
Westmont is located at (33.941514, -118.302306).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2), all land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Westmont had a population of 31,853. The population density was 17,239.9 people per square mile (6,656.4/km²). The racial makeup of Westmont was 5,037 (15.8%) White (1.0% Non-Hispanic White), 16,262 (51.1%) African American, 188 (0.6%) Native American, 126 (0.4%) Asian, 31 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 9,180 (28.8%) from other races, and 1,029 (3.2%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14,871 persons (46.7%).
The Census reported that 31,693 people (99.5% of the population) lived in households, 119 (0.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 41 (0.1%) were institutionalized.
There were 9,695 households, out of which 4,750 (49.0%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 2,995 (30.9%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 3,194 (32.9%) had a female householder with no husband present, 904 (9.3%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 776 (8.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 52 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 2,141 households (22.1%) were made up of individuals and 669 (6.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.27. There were 7,093 families (73.2% of all households); the average family size was 3.78.
The population was spread out with 9,860 people (31.0%) under the age of 18, 3,759 people (11.8%) aged 18 to 24, 8,577 people (26.9%) aged 25 to 44, 6,979 people (21.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 2,678 people (8.4%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29.9 years. For every 100 females there were 86.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.3 males.
There were 10,588 housing units at an average density of 5,730.6 per square mile (2,212.6/km²), of which 3,012 (31.1%) were owner-occupied, and 6,683 (68.9%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.5%; the rental vacancy rate was 8.8%. 10,864 people (34.1% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 20,829 people (65.4%) lived in rental housing units.
According to the 2010 United States Census, Westmont had a median household income of $31,110, with 32.5% of the population living below the federal poverty line.
As of the census of 2000, there were 31,623 people, 9,255 households, and 7,089 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 17,103.0 inhabitants per square mile (6,599.8/km²). There were 10,186 housing units at an average density of 5,509.0 per square mile (2,125.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 11.8% White, 58.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 25.8% from other races, and 3.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 39.5% of the population.
There were 9,255 households out of which 47.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.9% were married couples living together, 34.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.41 and the average family size was 3.85.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 37.8% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 16.3% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 26 years. For every 100 females there were 86.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $23,323, and the median income for a family was $23,712. Males had a median income of $24,682 versus $25,775 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $9,765. About 35.3% of families and 36.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 46.7% of those under age 18 and 22.1% of those age 65 or over.
- These are the ten neighborhoods in Los Angeles County with the largest percentage of black residents:
- View Park-Windsor Hills, California, 86.5%
- Gramercy Park, Los Angeles, 86.4%
- Leimert Park, Los Angeles, 79.6%
- Manchester Square, Los Angeles, 78.6%
- Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw, Los Angeles, 71.3%
- Ladera Heights, California, 71%
- Hyde Park, Los Angeles, 66%
- Chesterfield Square, Los Angeles, 58.6%
- West Compton, California, 57.6%
- Westmont, California, 57.5%
The area is within the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Areas considered to be in Westmont are generally zoned to:
- Century Park Elementary School
- Woodcrest Elementary School
- Clay Middle School
- Washington Preparatory High School
- Middle College High School
- Animo South Los Angeles Charter High School
- Woodcrest Community Library, County of Los Angeles Public Library
In the state legislature Westmont is located in the 25th and 26th Senate Districts, represented by Democrats Rod Wright and Curren D. Price, Jr. respectively, and in the 48th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Mike Davis. Federally, Westmont is located in California's 43rd congressional district, which is represented by Democrat Maxine Waters.
- Morningside Park Chronicle is a community newspaper based in Morningside Park that also covers the Westmont area.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer File - Places - California". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Westmont: Victims Since Jan 2000".
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - Westmont CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0684592.html. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Black", Mapping L.A. at Los Angeles Times