|Headquarters||Wiener Neudorf, Austria|
Number of locations
|3,645 stores (2014)|
|Revenue||€ 13.02 billion (2014)|
|Owner||REWE International AG|
Number of employees
BILLA (German pronunciation: [ˈbɪla] ( listen)) is a European supermarket chain originating in Austria, a market where the brand maintains its largest presence with more than 1000 stores. The company, which was founded by Karl Wlaschek in 1953, is currently owned by Germany's REWE Group.
The supermarkets' name is derived from a contraction of BILliger LAden, German for 'inexpensive shop' 
Billa in Europe
Billa operates stores in these 8 European countries:
|Country||No. of stores|
Billa in Bulgaria
In June 2006, the roof of one of the stores in Sofia collapsed during a storm. There were no injuries reported. There was an investigation to determine the reason for the poor quality of the construction work and whether the same problems are present at other Billa stores in the country, with 11 people eventually going to court.
Billa in Romania
Billa was owned by Rewe Group, which also operates XXL, Penny Market and Selgros outlets in Romania. The company used the tagline Billa zilnic - Cel mai bun pentru mine ("Billa daily - The best for me") and opened its first store in Bucharest in 1999. Since then, Billa has turned into one of the most well represented supermarket chains, with 87 stores (as of September 2016) in Romania. In 2015, all Billa stores were sold to Carrefour Group, and by the end of 2017 will be rebranded into Carrefour Market.
- 30.05.2006, 00:00 (2006-05-30). "Unternehmen & Märkte « Archiv «". Wirtschaftsblatt.at. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "BILLA, sagt der Hausverstand | BILLA". Billa.at. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Ungarische Billa-Märkte wurden an Spar verkauft - 14 Märkte mit 39 Mill. Euro Umsatz - Wiener Zeitung Online". 2002-09-12. Retrieved 2017-01-11.
- "Стандарт - Новини, които си струва да споделим". Standartnews.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "BILLA inaugurează un magazin în Timișoara și ajunge la 80 de unități în România" (in Romanian). retail-fmcg.ro. 30 October 2013.
- Carrefour a cumpărat BILLA şi devine cel mai mare retailer din România
- Cum arată strategia Carrefour pentru formatul de supermarket după integrarea Billa
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Billa.|