Clyde & Co
|Clyde & Co|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|No. of lawyers||1,400|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Revenue||£336.5 million (2012/13)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Clyde & Co is a global law firm with a focus on the core sectors of aviation, energy, infrastructure, insurance, marine, and trade.
Clyde & Co has expanded rapidly in recent years. The firm became the first international law office to open in Libya after the overthrow of the Gaddafi regime with the opening of an office in Tripoli in August 2012.
On 1 October 2012 the firm opened in Australia with launches in Sydney and Perth.
In 2011 the firm announced two mergers with Canadian firm Nicholl Paskell-Mede and Barlow Lyde & Gilbert (BLG). The merger with BLG was reported as the largest merger between two UK law firms with an expected turnover of over £300 million.
Clyde & Co was founded by Richard Arthur Clyde. He came from a distinguished legal family, which in the last century has produced two Lords President of the Court of Session in Scotland. Richard Clyde's nephew, the late Lord Clyde of Briglands, was a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary from 1996 to 2001.
The earliest record of Dick Clyde as a solicitor in independent practice, dates from 1928, although it was in 1933 that having left his position as an assistant solicitor with a well known firm of City marine lawyers, he set up his own office in Lime Street in the heart of the insurance district of the City of London. He managed to attract instructions from Lloyd's Underwriters and insurance companies, and within a short time went into partnership with Maurice Hill, a member of the founding family of the Liverpool solicitors Hill Dickinson & Co, and a descendant of Sir Rowland Hill who had established the penny post.
Reflecting the firm's growing international outlook, in 1981 Clyde & Co opened its first overseas office in Hong Kong. Many others followed in the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and America.
Michael Payton, who had joined the firm in 1966, assumed the post of Senior Partner in 1984.
- http://www.legalbusiness.co.uk/index.php/lb-blog-view/897-clyde-co-continues-to-reap-benefits-of-barlows-merger-with-16-hike-in-revenue. Missing or empty
- http://www.chambersandpartners.com/UK/Firms/85-45057. Missing or empty
- http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/news/2194539/201112-case-studies-clyde-co. Missing or empty
- http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dd609510-caaa-11e1-8872-00144feabdc0.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/news/2188446/clydes-launch-bases-australia-allens-team-hire. Missing or empty
- Clyde & Co official site - http://www.clydeco.com/
- Firm rankings in Chambers UK, Chambers Global, Chambers Asia, Chambers USA,Chambers Europe, Chambers Latin America and the Chambers Student Guide