Daocheng Yading Airport
Daocheng Yading Airport
|Serves||Daocheng, Sichuan, China|
|Opened||16 September 2013|
|Elevation AMSL||4,411 m / 14,472 ft|
|Daocheng Yading Airport|
Daocheng Yading Airport (Chinese: 稻城亚丁机场, Standard Tibetan: འདབ་པའི་ཉི་བརྟེན་གནམ་གྲུ་ཐང་, (IATA: DCY, ICAO: ZUDC)) is an airport serving Daocheng County in the Garzê Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Sichuan province, China. It is located in Sangdui Township, 50 kilometers north of the county seat and 130 kilometers from the Yading Nature Reserve.
At 4,411 m (14,472 ft) above sea level, Daocheng Yading is the highest civilian airport in the world.
Construction started after the airport was approved in April 2011, with a total investment of 1.58 billion yuan (US$255 million). The airport was opened on 16 September 2013. The inaugural flight was Air China flight 4215 on an Airbus A319 from the provincial capital Chengdu, carrying 118 passengers. The opening of the airport cut the journey time between Daocheng and Chengdu to one hour, which previously required a two-day bus trip.
Daocheng Yading Airport has a single runway that is 4,200 m (13,800 ft) long and 45 m (148 ft) wide (class 4C). It has a 5,000 m2 (54,000 sq ft) terminal building that is shaped like a flying saucer with two aerobridges. It is designed to handle 280,000 passengers per year.
Airlines and destinations
|China Southern Airlines||Chengdu, Guangzhou|
|Sichuan Airlines||Chengdu, Chongqing, Hangzhou, Luzhou, Xi'an|
- Ben Blanchard (16 September 2013). "China opens world's highest civilian airport". Reuters. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- 陸亞丁機場啟用 世界海拔最高 [Yading Airport opens in mainland, the highest in the world]. Central News Agency (in Chinese). 16 September 2013. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Chen Chunyu (3 March 2011). 稻城亚丁机场建设获立项 成都一小时飞稻城. Sichuan Online (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Lu Hui (16 September 2013). "World's highest civilian airport starts operating". Xinhua. Archived from the original on 20 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- 稻城亚丁机场今日通航 [Daocheng Yading Airport starts operation today]. Chengdu Business News (in Chinese). 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Photos of the airport on its opening day
- Video of take off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgJdVgoF3m0
Qamdo Bamda Airport
| World's highest airport
4,411 m (14,472 ft)