Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
|Location||Weicheng District, Xianyang, Shaanxi|
|Opened||1 September 1991|
|Elevation AMSL||479 m / 1,572 ft|
CAAC airport chart
|Xi'an Xianyang International Airport|
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport (IATA: XIY, ICAO: ZLXY) is the main airport serving Xi'an, Shaanxi Province, as well as the whole Guanzhong area. Covering an area of 5 square kilometres (1.9 sq mi), it is the largest airport in Northwest China, and the second largest airport in Northern China. The airport was the hub for China Northwest Airlines until the company was merged into China Eastern Airlines in 2002. Xi'an Airport is also the hub for Joy Air and Hainan Airlines. Xi'an Xianyang International Airport is a Skytrax 4-star airport.
In 2018, the airport handled 44,650,000 passengers, making it the busiest airport in northwest China and the 7th busiest nationwide. Xi'an Xianyang International Airport was also the nation's 14th busiest airport in terms of cargo traffic and the 7th busiest airport by traffic movements.
The airport is located within the administrative area of Xianyang city, which gives the airport its name. It is 25 kilometres (16 mi) northwest of Xi'an city centre, and 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) northeast of the centre of Xianyang.
Before Xianyang Airport was built, Xi'an was served by Xi'an Xiguan Airport. In 1984, the State Council of China and the Central Military Commission proposed to build a large civil airport on the site of Xianyang's airfield. Phase 1 of the airport commenced construction on August 1987, and was finished and opened on 1 September 1991. Xi'an Xiguan Airport was closed at the same time. Phase 2 started in August 2000, and was finished on 16 September 2003. Another 7.592-billion-yuan project is scheduled to be completed by 2020.
Terminal 3 and second runway
Terminal 3 and the second runway were opened on 3 May 2012, increasing the airport's capacity to more than 33 million passengers a year. The new terminal alone can handle 22 million passengers a year, twice as many as the other two terminals combined. Airlines that moved into the new terminal are China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, and Shanghai Airlines. The second runway is 3,800 meters long and is large enough to handle the Airbus A380.
Airlines and destinations
Eight airport bus routes connect the airport well with the Xi'an and Xianyang city.
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 June 1994, China Northwest Airlines Flight 2303 broke up in mid-air and crashed near Xi'an, en route to Guangzhou from Xi'an. A maintenance error was responsible. All 160 people on board died.
- Kuan, Albert (20 December 2018). "Hainan Airlines Announces Xi'an Service From Los Angeles - 20 December 2018".
- "The World's 4-Star Airports - Skytrax". Skytrax.
- 陕西年鉴1992 [Shaanxi Yearbook 1992] (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 29 May 2014.
- "Xian Airport opens new terminal building with strong focus on retail growth". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Liu, Jim (3 July 2019). "Beijing Capital Airlines plans Xi'An – Vladivostok service in July 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- 新航线丨畅游新疆，尽享惊喜优惠！. WeChat (in Chinese). China Eastern Northwest Sales.
- 出行又添新选择 东航云南3月底将新开11条航线 (in Chinese). 163.com.
- 寒冬美食在金昌，12月19日东航开通西安金昌航线，特价200元起. WeChat (in Chinese).[dead link]
- 新航线丨东航开通西安直飞澳门航线，往返200元，即刻抵达！. WeChat (in Chinese). China Eastern Northwest Sales.
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "China Eastern adds Xi'An – Madrid service from Dec 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "China Eastern adds Xi'An – Singapore service from late-April 2019". routesonline. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- 东航新开宁波至柳州、延吉等航线 (in Chinese). Carnoc.
- 新航季 · 2019夏秋新航线 ① | 启程！探索新旅程！. WeChat (in Chinese). China Eastern Yunnan Sales.
- 翻山越岭遇见你——东航新开"茶都"信阳直飞航班. qq.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- 东航西安17/18冬春航班换季啦！看看都有啥变化. WeChat (in Chinese).[dead link]
- 珠海机场月底进入冬春航季 新增6个航点_民航新闻_民航资源网 (in Chinese). Carnoc.
- "Hainan Launching Flights Between Xi'an & LAX". One Mile at a Time. 10 December 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Hainan Airlines plans Xi'An – Osaka service from July 2019". routesonline. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- Liu, Jim. "Lanmei Airlines adds Phnom Penh – Xi'An service from late-July 2020". Routesonline. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- "Lanmei Airlines adds new routes to China in 2Q19". routesonline. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Jeju from Sep 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Liu, Jim. "Loong Air adds Xi'An – Kota Kinabalu service from late-Jan 2020". Routesonline. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- Liu, Jim (9 October 2019). "Loong Air adds Xi'An – Nagoya service from Nov 2019". routesonline.com.
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Cam Ranh route from Nov 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Loong Air adds Xi'An – Utapao service from April 2019".
- "Okay Airways expands Phuket service in March 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Liu, Jim. "Qingdao Airlines plans new international routes in 4Q19". Routesonline. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 December 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- SCAT запускает рейс в китайский Сиань. Tengrinews. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Liu, Jim (13 December 2019). "SCAT adds Nur-Sultan – Xi'An service from late-Dec 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Shanghai Airlines opens Xi'An – Budapest reservations from late-Dec 2019". RoutesOnline. 10 November 2019. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Mandalay service in late-March 2019".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Osaka from late-Nov 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Sichuan Airlines adds Thailand service from Xi'an from late-May 2019".
- Liu, Jim. "Sichuan Airlines plans Xi'An – Shizuoka July 2019 launch". Routesonline. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Yangon from Nov 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Liu, Jim (25 September 2019). "Spring Airlines 4Q19 International network additions". Routesonline. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Tianjin Airlines to launch Xi'An – London Heathrow service from May 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Tibet Airlines adds international routes from Xi'An from late-Aug 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- Новости компании: «Уральские авиалинии» открывают новый рейс Екатеринбург – Сиань – авиакомпания «Уральские авиалинии» (in Russian). Ural Airlines. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xi'an Xianyang International Airport.|