Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
|Location||Weicheng District, Xianyang, Shaanxi|
|Elevation AMSL||479 m / 1,572 ft|
CAAC airport chart
|Xi'an Xianyang International Airport|
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport (IATA: XIY, ICAO: ZLXY) is the main airport serving Xi'an, the capital of China's Shaanxi Province, as well as the whole Guanzhong area. Covering an area of 5 square kilometres (1.9 sq mi), it is the largest airport in Northwest China, and the second largest airport in Northern China. The airport was the hub for China Northwest Airlines until the company was merged into China Eastern Airlines in 2002. Xi'an Airport is also the hub for Joy Air and Hainan Airlines. Xi'an Xianyang International Airport is a Skytrax 4-star airport.
In 2018, the airport handled 44,650,000 passengers, making it the busiest airport in northwest China and the 7th busiest nationwide. Xi'an Xianyang International Airport was also the nation's 14th busiest airport in terms of cargo traffic and the 7th busiest airport by traffic movements.
The airport is located within the administrative area of Xianyang city, which gives the airport its name. It is 41 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of Xi'an city centre, and 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) northeast of the centre of Xianyang.
Before Xianyang Airport was built, Xi'an was served by Xi'an Xiguan Airport. In 1984, the State Council of China and the Central Military Commission proposed to build a large civil airport on the site of Xianyang's airfield. Phase 1 of the airport commenced construction on August 1987, and was finished and opened on 1 September 1991. Xi'an Xiguan Airport was closed at the same time. Phase 2 started in August 2000, and was finished on 16 September 2003. Another 7.592-billion-yuan project is scheduled to be completed by 2020.
Terminal 3 and second runway
Terminal 3 and the second runway were opened on 3 May 2012, increasing the airport's capacity to more than 33 million passengers a year. The new terminal alone can handle 22 million passengers a year, twice as many as the other two terminals combined. Airlines that moved into the new terminal are China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, and Shanghai Airlines. The second runway is 3,800 meters long and is large enough to handle the Airbus A380.
Airlines and destinations
Eight airport bus routes connect the airport well with the Xi'an and Xianyang city.
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 June 1994, China Northwest Airlines Flight 2303 broke up in mid-air and crashed near Xi'an, en route to Guangzhou from Xi'an. A maintenance error was responsible. All 160 people on board died.
- Kuan, Albert. "Hainan Airlines Announces Xi'an Service From Los Angeles - 20 December 2018".
- "The World's 4-Star Airports - Skytrax". Skytrax.
- "陕西年鉴1992" [Shaanxi Yearbook 1992]. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014.
- "Finnair reopens direct route between Xi'an and Helsinki - Global Times". www.globaltimes.cn. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Xian Airport opens new terminal building with strong focus on retail growth". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- 网易. "出行又添新选择 东航云南3月底将新开11条航线". news.163.com.
- "翻山越岭遇见你——东航新开"茶都"信阳直飞航班". qq.com. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "珠海机场月底进入冬春航季 新增6个航点_民航新闻_民航资源网". news.carnoc.com.
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "China Eastern adds Xi'An – Madrid service from Dec 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Indonesia's state-run airlines to open more direct flights to China's cities from Bali - Xinhua - English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com.
- "Hainan Launching Flights Between Xi'an & LAX". One Mile at a Time. 10 December 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Jeju from Sep 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Cam Ranh route from Nov 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Okay Airways expands Phuket service in March 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "NokScoot adds Xi'An service from Nov 2017".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 December 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "SCAT запускает рейс в китайский Сиань". Tengrinews. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Mandalay service in late-March 2019".
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Osaka from late-Nov 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Ltd. 2019, UBM (UK). "Sichuan Airlines adds Xi'An – Yangon from Nov 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "404-Page". www.lionairthai.com. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Thai Lion Air adds new scheduled charter service to China from late-Sep 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Tianjin Airlines to launch Xi'An – London Heathrow service from May 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Tibet Airlines adds international routes from Xi'An from late-Aug 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xi'an Xianyang International Airport.|