Southern New South Wales
Australian Capital Territory
|Fleet||430 (April 2017)|
The Dyson Group is an Australian operator of buses and coaches in Victoria.
Dyson's Bus Services was founded in June 1952 when Laurie Dyson purchased the business of Ned Gastin with route 46A Regent station to Janefield Hospital. Over the years a number of routes and businesses were purchased both within Melbourne and in regional Victoria:
- Nathalia to Melbourne from HE Taylor in August 1957
- Kinglake to Melbourne from Heather & Co in 1959
- a 50% shareholding in Northcote Bus Service in 1966, later increased to 100%, operated as a separate brand until January 1982
- Lockington to Melbourne from Harrison, Echuca in 1968
- Barham and Moama to Melbourne from Andersons Coaches, Moama
- Dyson's entered a joint venture with Reservoir Bus Company to form East West Bus Company to operate route 560 Broadmeadows station to Greensborough in August 1980
- Bega to Melbourne was from Gil Toplis in December 1982
- Deniliquin - Moama - Melbourne from Ansett Pioneer in 1987
- Bairnsdale - Lakes Entrance from Lextours, Lakes Entrance in 1987
- Reids Metropolitan Services in December 1991
- Albury - Mildura from Arms & Bell in July 1992
- Sale - Bairnsdale and Bairnsdale - Orbost from Florance, Orbost in January 1994
- Eastern Roadlines, Bairnsdale in January 1994
- In partnership with Reservoir Bus Company, formed Melbourne Bus Link in April 1998 after being awarded a contract to take over provision of services in the western and south-east regions of Melbourne from Met Bus
- Entered a joint venture with Cobb & Co and Sid Fogg's to operate services on behalf of Australian Pacific Tours in 2001
- Bell Street Bus Company including the Cobb & Co coach business in August 2003
- In 2003 Dyson’s commenced operating services in Alice Springs, sold in May 2012 to Australian Transit Group
- Kyneton Bus Lines in March 2006
- Mylon Motorways, Wodonga in July 2008
- Northern Bus Lines, Glenroy from the Pulitano Group in July 2008
- Reservoir Bus Company and Midland Tours in November 2012
- Wangaratta Coachlines in July 2014
- O'Connell's Omeo Bus Service in April 2017
As well as route services in Melbourne, since the late 1970s Dyson have operated services under contract to V/Line. In February 1989, all of Dyson's existing long coach services were integrated into the V/Line network. Dyson operate V/Line services as far afield as Batemans Bay, Canberra, Griffith and Adelaide.
Until December 2007, Dyson operated a service in New South Wales between Parkes and Condobolin under contract to CountryLink. In January 2015, Dyson commenced operating five-year contracts to operate services for NSW TrainLink from Wagga Wagga to Griffith, Cootamundra to Tumbarumba, Cootamundra to Bathurst/Dubbo and Parkes to Condobolin.
As at March 2015, the Dyson Group fleets consisted of 499+ buses and coaches. Fleet livery is white with green stripes, 30 coaches are painted in V/Line livery and four in NSW TrainLink livery.
- "The Dyson Story" Australian Bus Panorama issue 11/6 March 1996 page 6
- "Victorian Buses in the Eighties" Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/2 September 1990 page 11
- "Victorian Buses in the Eighties" Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/1 July 1990 page 12
- Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Operators and Fleet Listings. Melbourne: Bus & Coach Society of Victoria. 1991. p. 19.
- "Victorian Buses in the Eighties" Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/8 May 1991 page 12
- "Reids" Australian Bus Panorama issue 7/7 April 1992 page 42
- "Dysons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 8/2 September 1992 page 43
- "Dysons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 9/6 February 1994 page 48
- "Historic Reforms for Melbourne's Buses" Australian Bus Panorama issue 13/3 December 1997 page 35
- Australian Pacific Tours sell to consortium Australasian Bus & Coach
- Dyson's buys Cobb & Co, Bell St & Rambler Australasian Bus & Coach 2003
- Alice Springs Depot Dyson Group May 2012
- Kyneton Bus Lines Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Mylon Motorways to change hands The Border Mail 20 June 2008
- Mylon Motorways Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- p Northern Buslines Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Press Release – Reservoir Bus Company Dyson Group October 2012
- Media, Australian Community Media - Fairfax (2014-07-11). "Dysons gears up with buy-out of Wangaratta coaches". The Border Mail. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Dyson Group Acquire O'Connell's Omeo Bus Service | Bus Charters Melbourne - Dyson Group". dysongroup.com.au. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Dysons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 4/5 March 1989 page 35
- V/Line timetables Dyson Group
- Western Road Liners Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- New contracts cost Wagga based coach company Daily Advertiser 30 December 2014
- "New NSW TrainLink Rural Coach Service Contracts" Australian Bus issue 68 March 2015 page 20
- Dyson Group of Companies Australian Bus Fleet Lists