Tharaka Nithi County
|Formed||March 4, 2013|
|• Governor||Muthomi Njuki|
|• Total||2,609 km2 (1,007 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Tharaka-Nithi County is the home to the Chuka, Muthambi, Mwimbi and Tharaka sections of the Ameru (Meru) community. The people of Tharaka-Nithi County are nowo predominantly Christian with the Catholics, the Presbyterian, and the Methodists being the predominant religious communities.
In 1992 Meru District, sometimes called "Greater Meru" was broken up into four pieces, Meru Central, Meru North, Meru South and Tharaka; with Meru South (also known as Nithi District) combined with Tharaka into a new Tharaka-Nithi District. In 1998, the Tharaka Nithi District was split into two districts, Nithi and Tharaka, but the Kenya Supreme Court decision of 2009 declared that split unconstitutional. Subsequently, under the revised constitution of 2010, Tharaka-Nithi became a county.
Like Other Counties surrounding Mount Kenya, the primary economic activities in Tharaka-Nithi County are tea and coffee planting, subsistence dairy farming, as well as keeping of other livestock such as goats and sheep.
- Bernard Mate - The County's most notable "son". He was an active politician in Kenya's independence struggle, who resided in Majira, near Chogoria. He represented Central in the LegCo of 1957, as well as being a member of parliament in the 1960s and 1970s.
- James Njeru Gituriandu - Former assistant minister in Jomo Kenyatta government and MP in both Kenyatta and Moi governments.
- Samuel Ragwa - First Governor of Tharaka Nithi County
- Muthomi Njuki - Second and Incumbent Governor
- Prof. Kindiki A. Kithure- Current Senator
- Dr. Mzalendo Kibunjia - Director General, National Museums of Kenya and Founding Chairman National Cohesion and Integration Commission
- James Ngugi - Enterpeneuer and Economist
- Muigai Samuel - Director of Information Technology at the County Government.
- Jasper Mwathani Mbaka - The late HSC vice chairman of first Electroal Commision of Kenya, Former Chairman Mwea irrigation board, senior margistrate and Former chairman Eastern Lands board
- "Kenya Census 2009 | PDF | Census | Waste Management".
- "Kenya 2009 Population and Housing Census Highlights" (PDF). Kenya national Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 September 2010.
- Sheila Aikman, Elaine Unterhalter: (2005) Beyond access: transforming policy and practice for gender equality in education. Oxfam, page 107.
- Nyasato, Robert (5 September 2009). "High Court outlaws 210 districts created by Moi and Kibaki since 1992". The Standard. Archived from the original on 1 July 2014.
- "First Scheduke, Article 6 (1)" (PDF). Constitution of Kenya (2010). p. 167. Archived (PDF) from the original on 14 March 2014.
- "ICT DIRECTORATE – Tharaka Nithi County Government". Retrieved 4 April 2022.