Mel Sithamur Jain Math
|Jina Kanchi Jain Math|
|Mel Sithamur Jain Math|
Main temple at the Jina Kanchi Jain Math
|Location||Gingee, Villupuram district, Tamil Nadu|
|Bhattaraka||Swasti Shri Laxmisena Swami|
The Tiruvannamalai and Villupuram areas have been an important centre of Jainism since ancient times. Historically, there was a Jain Math at Kanchipuram but it was shifted to its current location here. Venkatappa Nayak (1570-1600) is said to have given permission during his reign to build this Sittamur Jain Temple. Later, in 1860 CE, a Jain official in the Madras Provincial Services, Sri Baliah, dismantled several stone-pieces including the great stone elephants from the Gingee Venkataramana Temple, to make edifices in the Sittamur Jain temple. Among them the great stone elephants placed at the foot of the Termutti (car-stand), are noteworthy.
There are two temples and one of them is dedicated to Parshvanatha. The other temple is dedicated to Malinatha and it was originally a boulder containing rock-cut images of Bahubali, Parsvanatha, Adinatha, Mahavira and Ambika yakshi. These images were carved in the 9th century CE.
Parshvanatha temple or Raja Gopuram is a seven storeyed tower with a total height of more than 70 feet.Images of tirthankaras are carved on temple walls.Main idol of Parsvanatha temple is a black colored 14 feet idol of Parsvanatha in Padmasan posture. The 52 feet manastambha in temple is a monolith.
Malinatha Temple is also known as Thiruvooram Palli or Kattam Palli. The carvings of Tirtankaras Bahubali, Parshvanatha, Adinath bagavan, Mahavira and Yakshi Dharma Devi belonging to the 7th century sculptured on a single rock here is a testimony to the workmanship of those days.
- Gingee Jain Temple : Gingee Jain Temple is a very ancient and famous temple. This temple is dedicated to Adinatha.
- Vilukkam Temple : This is a small temple dedicated to Adinatha.
- Thayanur Temple : This temple is built more than 1000 years ago. This temple is dedicated to Mahaveer Swami.The other deities you can find in this temple are Yakshi Padmavati, Yakshi Dharmadevi, Brahma Devar and Navagraham mandap.
- Kolianur Temple : The presiding deity in this temple is Adinath Bhagwan who is seated in a Padmasana posture. Stone carved idols of other deities in the temple include Padmavathi Yakshi and Navagraham.
Bhattaraka Laxmisena resides at this Math
Residence of Bhattaraka Laxmisena at the Mel Sithamur Jain Math
Mulnayak of Parshva within the main temple at the Math
- "Tourist Information of Vilupuram District Tamilnadu South Indian States India". Southindianstates.com. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- Facets of Jainology: Selected Research Papers on Jain Society, Religion, and ... - Vilas Adinath Sangave - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2001. ISBN 9788171548392. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "Front Page : Mahavira bas-relief tells a story". The Hindu. 2008-08-08. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "on www.jainsamaj.org ( Jainism, Ahimsa News, Religion, Non-Violence, Culture, Vegetarianism, Meditation, India. )". Jainsamaj.org. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- C.S, Srinivasachari (1943). History Of Gingee And Its Rulers.
- "Viluppuram Places of Interest". Madura Welcome. Retrieved 2012-05-27.