|Industry||Online food ordering, e-commerce|
|Founded||Sydney, 2006; 14 years ago|
|Headquarters||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Morten Belling (managing director)|
|Parent||Just Eat Takeaway|
Menulog Pty. Ltd. is an Australian and New Zealand online food and beverage ordering app. The e-commerce platform is headquartered in Sydney and owned by parent Anglo Dutch company Just Eat Takeaway. Menulog has over 15,000 restaurant partners across Australia and 500 in New Zealand and has its own couriers.
Whilst national franchises include Hungry Jack's, Red Rooster, Crust Pizza Stores, Pizza Capers and Oporto, and also state and localised suburban restaurants offering more than 130 cuisines. Menulog operates in all major Australian states and cities.
The company is well-known through its television advertisements featuring musician Snoop Dogg.
In 2007, the same year Menulog launched its first in-store ordering device, the business expanded to Australian cities Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne. The following year, Menulog launched in Adelaide and Perth and expanded its reach further launching in New Zealand in 2012.
In February 2015, Menulog and EatNow announced their agreement to merge, forming Menulog Group Limited. In May 2015, the company was bought by Just Eat, which funded the deal by issuing new shares for 855 million Australian dollars.
In 2016, after reaching a ten million annual order milestone, Menulog lost its case against Pizza Fellas who successfully obtained interlocutory relief in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). The claim (VCAT 4345/2015) was brought by the Pizza Fellas Group who were granted Injunctive Relief to restrain Menulog from purchasing Google Adwords using Pizza Fellas' brandnames. Menulog's conduct, known as brandjacking had the effect of redirecting Pizza Fellas' customers to the Menulog website (so they could resell them back to the applicant Pizza Fellas).[better source needed]
In 2019, Menulog's British parent company, Just Eat, agreed to merge with Amsterdam-based rival Takeaway.com in an £8.2 billion deal. Menulog is now a subsidiary of the combined corporation, Just Eat Takeaway.
By mid-2020, in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic where demand for services delivering food from restaurants and takeaways surged, Menulog announced it had received “a high volume” of requests to join its platform. The company said they had also implemented a range of measures to support both their drivers and restaurants on their platform, such as offering contactless delivery, and halved all commission on pickup orders until further notice.
Recognition and media
Menulog's research and insights into Australian food trends are regularly featured in the media, with a 2015 study showing Australia's hungriest suburbs published in The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun. Menulog's annual Tasty Takeaway awards, which recognise the nation's most popular takeaway restaurants, have appeared on news.com.au.
In October 2016, Menulog created Australia's first 23ct gold pizza in partnership with Pizza Design Co. Parramatta. The event was covered by Sunrise and Nine Kitchen. Menulog was awarded the CANSTAR Blue Award for Customer Service in 2017.
At the 2017 CEO Magazine 'Executive of the Year' Awards, Menulog's CFO Morten Belling was named CFO of the Year and managing director Alistair Venn was named Runner-up in his respective category.
- "Uncertainty for Menulog as UK parent Just Eat agrees to $14 billion merger with rival". SmartCompany. 30 July 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2020.
- "About Menulog.com.au". Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Good Food Guide on Canberra takeaways". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Menulog official Blog". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "BRW Michael Bailey article 4 Feb 2015".
- "Menulog founders Pearcy award".
- "SMH article on Menulog order volume". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- Swan, David (6 February 2015). "Menulog, EatNow merge". The Australian. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Just Eat to buy Australia's Menulog". BBC News. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Menulog Appoints Ex-Groupon CEO As Managing Director". B&T. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Elmas, Matthew (30 July 2019). "Uncertainty for Menulog as UK parent Just Eat agrees to $14 billion merger with rival". SmartCompany. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- Masige, Sharon (23 March 2020). "Apps like Menulog are reporting a surge in restaurants signing up for delivery – as a petition circulates demanding platform fees be slashedw". Business Insider.
- "Survey reveals second hungriest suburb in Australia is Newtown for takeaway habits". 7 July 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Survey reveals second hungriest suburb in Australia is Newtown for takeaway habits". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Manoosh Pizzeria crowned best takeaway restaurant in NSW". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "The world's weirdest food combos". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Want to know what Sydney's 23ct gold leaf pizza tastes like". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Menulog tops the restaurant delivery category by Canstar Blue". QSR Media. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Magazine, The CEO (21 November 2017). "Morten Belling is Australia's top CFO | Executive of the Year Awards". The CEO Magazine. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "SBS CEO Michael Ebeid wins CEO of the Year". Mumbrella. 16 November 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2018.