Wealden (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||77,536 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Crowborough, Uckfield|
|Member of Parliament||Nus Ghani (Conservative)|
|Created from||East Grinstead, Lewes and Rye|
Wealden is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2015 by Nus Ghani, a Conservative. Ghani was the first Muslim woman to be elected as a Conservative member of Parliament.
- Political history
The seat's history is that of a safe Conservative seat. Before the 2015 election, the Liberal Democrats, including their two predecessor parties, were represented by the main opposition candidate, but they then fell to fourth place. The best result for the Labour Party was in 2017, though it was 39% below the winning vote share.
- Prominent frontbenchers
1983–1997: The District of Wealden wards of Buxted, Chiddingly and East Hoathly, Crowborough East, Crowborough North, Crowborough West, Danehill, Fletching, Forest Row, Framfield, Frant, Hailsham Central and North, Hailsham East, Hailsham South and West, Hartfield, Heathfield, Hellingly, Horam, Maresfield, Mayfield, Rotherfield, Uckfield, Wadhurst, Waldron, and Withyam.
1997–2010: The District of Wealden wards of Buxted, Chiddingly and East Hoathly, Crowborough East, Crowborough North, Crowborough St John's, Crowborough West, Danehill, Fletching, Forest Row, Framfield, Frant, Hailsham Central and North, Hailsham East, Hailsham South and West, Hartfield, Heathfield, Hellingly, Horam, Maresfield, Mayfield, Rotherfield, Uckfield, Wadhurst, Waldron, and Withyam.
2010–present: The District of Wealden wards of Buxted and Maresfield, Chiddingly and East Hoathly, Crowborough East, Crowborough Jarvis Brook, Crowborough North, Crowborough St John's, Crowborough West, Danehill/Fletching/Nutley, Forest Row, Framfield, Frant/Withyham, Hailsham Central and North, Hailsham East, Hailsham South and West, Hartfield, Hellingly, Horam, Mayfield, Rotherfield, Uckfield Central, Uckfield New Town, Uckfield North, Uckfield Ridgewood, and Wadhurst.
Approximately half of the population in the constituency lives in the area’s three main towns: Crowborough, Hailsham and Uckfield. The rest of the seat is predominantly rural and has many small towns, villages and hamlets. The Wealden landscape is varied, ranging from the Ashdown Forest in the north to the South Downs and the coastal part is included in seats to the south.
A considerable portion of the population is retired or work in London, Brighton or other regional employment bases at a managerial or advanced professional level. Workless claimants who were registered jobseekers were in November 2012 significantly lower than the national average of 3.8%, at 1.5% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Sir Geoffrey Johnson-Smith||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Chris Bowers||11,388||18.7||+8.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Chris Bowers||6,281||10.4||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Giles Goodall||5,180||9.1||−15.8|
|Green||Mark Smith ||3,623||6.4||+3.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Chris Bowers||13,911||25.3||+0.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Christopher Wigley||13,054||23.5||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Steve Murphy||12,507||23.7||−2.0|
|Pensioner Coalition||Cyril Thornton||453||0.9||New|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Skinner||15,213||25.7||−1.3|
|Natural Law||Paul Cragg||188||0.3||0.0|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Skinner||16,332||27.1||−0.4|
|Natural Law||Roger Graham||182||0.3||New|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- A county constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- "'Wealden', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 2)
- "Wealden Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Wealden parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "Labour party selects teenager from Hastings as their candidate for MP". Crowborough Life. 23 December 2014.
- "Home". Wealden Green Party.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Index". UK General Election results April 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2010-12-06.