North Thanet (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of North Thanet in Kent.
Location of Kent within England.
|Electorate||67,110 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||(Margate, Birchington-on-Sea, Herne Bay and Westgate-on-Sea|
|Member of parliament||Sir Roger Gale (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Thanet West, Thanet East|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
North Thanet and South Thanet were created by a rearrangement of the former Thanet West and Thanet East constituencies in 1983, which in turn had been created in 1974 by the splitting of the single Isle of Thanet seat. Apart from 1997 when it was marginal, the seat has to date been a safe seat for the Conservative Party.
Tourism forms an important economic activity with sandy beaches, particularly at Margate among the main attractions, the seat has a small amount of fishing relative to the 19th century or major ports of North East and Scotland, with a slightly higher proportion of retired people than the national average and incomes tending to be clustered towards the national mean. Economic developments have included close-by the Thanet Offshore Wind Project, commercial, recreational and tourism activities. Manston Airport is now closed but is subject to competing development plans including reopening the airport for freight terminal or alternatively as a mixed development business park. In unemployment terms the claimant count was third highest of the South East's 84 constituencies at the end of 2010.[n 3]
1983-2010: The District of Thanet wards of Birchington East, Birchington West, Cecil, Cliftonville, Dane Park, Ethelbert, Margate West, Marine, Northdown Park, Pier, Salmestone, Thanet Parishes, and Westgate-on-Sea, and the City of Canterbury wards of Herne, Heron, Reculver, and West Bay.
2010-present: The District of Thanet wards of Birchington North, Birchington South, Dane Valley, Garlinge, Margate Central, Salmestone, Thanet Villages, Westbrook, and Westgate-on-Sea, and the City of Canterbury wards of Greenhill and Eddington, Herne and Broomfield, Heron, Marshside, Reculver, and West Bay.
North Thanet consists of the northern and western parts of Thanet district (most of Margate (apart from the Cliftonville area, Westgate-on-Sea, Birchington-on-Sea, and several villages including Acol, St Nicholas-at-Wade, Minster, Monkton and Sarre) as well as the town of Herne Bay in the City of Canterbury district.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Sir Roger Gale||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Conservative||Sir Roger Gale||23,045||49.0||−3.7|
|UKIP||Piers Andrew Wauchope||12,097||25.7||+19.2|
|Green||Edward John Targett||1,719||3.7||+3.7|
|Liberal Democrat||George Francis John Cunningham||1,645||3.5||−15.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Laura Murphy||8,400||19.4||+3.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Barnard||6,279||14.4||+3.4|
|Labour||James Stewart Laing||14,400||34.4||−4.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Seth Proctor||4,603||11.0||−0.4|
|National Front||Thomas Holmes||395||0.9||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Kendrick||5,576||11.4||−6.3|
|Referendum||Marcus Rupert Chambers||2,535||5.2||N/A|
|UKIP||Jean Edith Haines||438||1.1||N/A|
|Labour||Alan Michael Bretman||12,657||23.5||+6.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Ms. Joanna Louise Phillips||9,563||17.7||−5.6|
|Green||Mrs Hazel Francis Dawe||873||1.6||−0.4|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Nicholas Richard Maurice Cranston||11,745||23.3||−3.4|
|Labour||Alan Michael Bretman||8,395||16.7||+2.6|
|Green||David Reynolds Condor||996||2.0||N/A|
|Social Democratic||William Donald MacMillan||12,256||26.7||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2011 census interactive maps Archived 29 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- Neighbourhood Statistics. "2001 Census". Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Thanet North parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "North Thanet". UK Polling Report. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- North Thanet, Guardian
- Gale reselected for Thanet North, This is Kent
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.