Human rights in Greece
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
Human rights in Greece are observed by various organizations. The country is a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights, the Geneva Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the United Nations Convention Against Torture. The Greek constitution also guarantees fundamental human rights to all Greek citizens.
According to Amnesty International's 2007 report on Greece, there are problems in the following areas:
- Treatment of migrants and refugees.
- Treatment of conscientious objectors to military service.
- Failure to grant necessary protection to women victims of domestic violence or trafficking and forced prostitution.
- The report also highlights cases involving arbitrary arrests in the context of the 'war on terror' and Greece's conviction by the European Court of Human Rights for violating Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights by convicting an unofficial mufti for 'usurping the function of a minister of a "known religion"'.
US State Department
The US Department of State's 2007 report on human rights in Greece identified the following issues:
- Cases of abuse by security forces, particularly of illegal immigrants and Roma.
- Overcrowding and harsh conditions in some prisons.
- Detention of undocumented migrants in squalid conditions.
- Restrictions and administrative obstacles faced by members of non‑Orthodox religions.
- Detention and deportation of unaccompanied or separated immigrant minors, including asylum seekers.
- Limits on the ability of ethnic minority groups to self-identify, and discrimination against and social exclusion of ethnic minorities, particularly Roma.
- Democracy Index, 2010: 28 out of 167
- Worldwide Press Freedom Index, 2008: 31 out of 173.
- Worldwide Privacy Index, 2006: 1 out of 26.
- Worldwide Quality-of-life Index, 2005: 22 out of 111.
- Turks of Western Thrace
- Conscription in Greece
- Minorities in Greece
- Sotiris Bletsas
- Gay rights in Greece
- 1990 Komotini events
- NCHR - National Committee for Human Rights
- Human Rights Watch - Greece
- Censorship in Greece - IFEX
- United Nations Committee against Torture
- European Council on Refugees and Exiles
- Amnesty International Report for 2007
- US Department of State: Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - 2007: Greece
- Freedom House