Karnes City, Texas
|Karnes City, Texas|
Welcome sign at Karnes City
Location of Karnes City, Texas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||430 ft (131 m)|
|• Density||1,627.6/sq mi (628.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1360493|
Karnes City is a city in Karnes County, Texas, United States. The population was 3,042 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Karnes County. The town was named after Henry Karnes of the Texas Revolution. Karnes is some twenty-five miles south of Floresville on U.S. Highway 181.
In 1893, the county seat was moved from Helena to Karnes City.
Karnes City is located at .(28.8882, -97.9013)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,457 people, 1,007 households, and 720 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,627.6 people per square mile (629.6/km²). There were 1,180 housing units at an average density of 555.6 per square mile (214.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 71.13% White, 5.67% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.58% Asian, 19.47% from other races, and 2.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 63.87% of the population.
There were 1,007 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.7% were married couples living together, 19.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.5% were non-families. 25.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.37. K
In the city the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 11.5% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 16.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 122.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 130.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,156, and the median income for a family was $27,206. Males had a median income of $30,446 versus $18,261 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,243. About 23.1% of families and 27.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.6% of those under age 18 and 22.6% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Karnes City has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Roberta M. Ziegler and Robert H. Thonhoff. "The Handbook of Texas Online". Texas State Historical Association.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Malislow, Craig. "Wells Fargo Hit for Funding Allegedly Badly Run Private Texas Prison." Houston Press. Monday July 4, 2011. Retrieved on November 3, 2011.
- "Roger E. Sides". Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- Climate Summary for Karnes City, Texas