Location of Pearsall, Texas
|• Total||4.2 sq mi (11.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (10.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||633 ft (193 m)|
|• Density||1,694.7/sq mi (654.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1364941|
Pearsall is located at (28.891458, -99.094873).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city had a total area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), of which, 4.2 square miles (11 km2) of it was land and 0.24% is water.
In 2003, Pearsall annexed the West Pearsall CDP, increasing the population of the town by about 350 people. This increased the area of the city by 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), all land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Pearsall has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, 7,157 people reside in Pearsall with 2,201 households, and 1,688 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,694.7 people per square mile (654.8/km²). There were 2,470 housing units at an average density of 584.9/sq mi (226.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 73.80% White, 0.39% African American, 0.71% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 22.01% from other races, and 2.79% from two or more races. 84.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,201 households out of which 41.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.3% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.99 and the average family size was 3.47.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.6% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 102.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,602, and the median income for a family was $23,470. Males had a median income of $21,295 versus $14,720 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,383. 35.0% of the population and 30.4% of families were below the poverty line. 43.2% of those under the age of 18 and 40.0% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
Government and infrastructure
Pearsall Independent School District has 4 schools - Ted Flores Elementary, Pearsall Intermediate, Pearsall Junior High, and Pearsall High School.
- Alfred Allee, a famed 19th century peace officer, was once a deputy sheriff in Pearsall.
- Gene Bailey, baseball player
- Charles E. Maple, journalist and chamber of commerce official, died in 2006 in Pearsall, where he was last residing.
- George Strait, famous country music singer, was born in Poteet, Texas but raised in Pearsall.
- Brad Wright, the head football coach at Texas State University-San Marcos from 2007 to 2010, was born in Pearsall in 1959.
- Dave Studdard, professional football player, Denver Broncos (1979-1988)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- US Census change list
- Climate Summary for Pearsall, Texas
- "Post Office Location - PEARSALL." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 22, 2010.
- "South Texas Detention Facility." U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Retrieved on May 22, 2010.
- NFL.com Player Profile
- Pearsall Texas Chamber of Commerce
- LoneStar Internet: Pearsall, Texas Very brief history
- Handbook of Texas Online: Pearsall, Texas