San Augustine, Texas
|San Augustine, Texas|
Hail Blount House
Location of San Augustine, Texas
|• Total||4.8 sq mi (12.5 km2)|
|• Land||4.7 sq mi (12.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Density||525.2/sq mi (202.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1383177|
|Website||San Augustine, Texas|
The town began in 1832 with land owned by Thomas S. McFarland. The town was named after the Presidio de San Agustin de Ahumada, which was named in honor of the viceroy of Texas, Agustín Ahumada y Villalón, Marqués de las Amarillas.
San Augustine is located at (31.531086, -94.110971).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which, 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.08%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,475 people, 859 households, and 573 families residing in the city. The population density was 525.2 people per square mile (202.9/km2). There were 1,076 housing units at an average density of 228.3/sq mi (88.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 37.82% White, 57.94% African American, 0.08% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 3.07% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.13% of the population.
There were 859 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.3% were married couples living together, 26.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 22.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 80.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 67.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,489, and the median income for a family was $33,203. Males had a median income of $23,750 versus $17,628 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,918. About 19.1% of families and 24.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.0% of those under age 18 and 30.7% of those age 65 or over.
The city of San Augustine is served by the San Augustine Independent School District.
- Sam Houston - First President of the Republic of Texas and Representative for San Augustine.
- Kenneth M. Hoyt - U.S. District Judge
- Kenneth Lewis Anderson—The last Vice President of the Republic of Texas
- Memucan Hunt, Jr.—Secretary of the Navy of the Republic of Texas and Texas' Minister to the United States
- Frances Cox Henderson (1820–1897) wife of Governor Henderson, helped establish Episcopal Church in San Augustine
- Governor J. Pinckney Henderson--The first governor of the State of Texas
- Governor Oran M. Roberts
- Texas Lieutenant Governor John A. Greer
- Texas Lieutenant Governor Ben Ramsey
- Edward A. Clark—U.S. Ambassador to Australia
- Dominique Edison Seattle Seahawks wide receiver
- John William "Bill" Davis (1905-2002), businessman and entrepreneur who received the Horatio Alger Award and was a member of the Beverage World Hall of Fame 
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "City of San Augustine, Texas". City of San Augustine, Texas. Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans http://www.horatioalger.com/member_info.cfm?memberid=dav90