Perryton grain elevator
Location of Perryton, Texas
|• Total||4.5 sq mi (11.5 km2)|
|• Land||4.4 sq mi (11.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||2,940 ft (896 m)|
|• Density||1,753.2/sq mi (676.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1365089|
Perryton is located at . According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.4 square miles (11 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.45%) is water.(36.391752, -100.806109)
At the 2000 census, there were 7,774 people, 2,785 households and 2,113 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,753.2 per square mile (677.6/km²). There were 3,180 housing units at an average density of 717.2 per square mile (277.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 85.23% White, 0.15% African American, 0.98% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 11.10% from other races, and 2.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 34.13% of the population.
There were 2,785 households of which 42.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.6% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 21.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.22.
Age distribution was 31.3% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.4 males.
The median household income was $37,363, and the median family income was $45,045. Males had a median income of $31,803 compared with $19,694 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,431. About 9.7% of families and 13.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.4% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Caleb Campbell, National Football League player
- Jeremy Campbell, 2008 Summer Paralympics athlete
- John R. Erickson, author of the Hank the Cowdog Series
- Mike Hargrove, Major League Baseball player and manager
Whigham Park (established 1934) offers two free nights of camping.
U.S. Highway 83 as it proceeds through downtown.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Perryton, Texas